Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    A one-liner if you will:

    "In the absence of the EX finish, gaffer tape makes for an EXcellent substitute"



    Of course, the EX finish should ideally be totally gone, if not the next time you remove the tape...that's it.

  2. #2

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    EX-finish hohoho!
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  3. #3

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    Actually, I've felt that the EX coating has a texture very close to gaffer tape.. So the subsitution won't hurt much. The numbering peeling off would be a bother though..

    Samuel
    f/8 and be there.

  4. #4

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    i don't understand what you are saying here bro

    care to explain?

  5. #5

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't understand what you are saying here bro

    care to explain?
    he is saying the finishing of sigma lenses feels like gaffering tape and it is not durable as well. if applied on sigma lenses, the tape will remove the finishing when u take it off.

  6. #6

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    he is saying the finishing of sigma lenses feels like gaffering tape and it is not durable as well. if applied on sigma lenses, the tape will remove the finishing when u take it off.
    oh. that bad meh, my 10-20 is holding up very well leh

    kena saltwater, kena mud before. luckily i don't plan to ever let it go, if not i won't say here.

  7. #7

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    oh. that bad meh, my 10-20 is holding up very well leh

    kena saltwater, kena mud before. luckily i don't plan to ever let it go, if not i won't say here.
    haha. let's see how long it holds up before flaking off.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,123

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    is about how u handle the lens lar
    my 30mm, and 10-20 has been with me for long time liao also in fine condition
    but true, i have seen quite a few flaky ones b4

  9. #9

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    i've seen my share of flaky sigma lenses too.

  10. #10

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah_K View Post
    is about how u handle the lens lar
    my 30mm, and 10-20 has been with me for long time liao also in fine condition
    but true, i have seen quite a few flaky ones b4
    i'm wondering if it may have something to do with storage..

    too low humidity - would that cause the problem?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i'm wondering if it may have something to do with storage..

    too low humidity - would that cause the problem?
    Or constant contact with corrosive body fluid?

    Perhaps regular exposure to an environment of excessive perfume of XMMs?
    Last edited by Sion; 11th May 2008 at 09:43 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Or constant contact with corrosive body fluid?

    Perhaps regular exposure to an environment of excessive perfume of XMMs?

    those must be alien (or ah-lian ) body fluid, soo corrrosive arh!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    Hmm...my 10-20 is also holding up, but my 100-300's coating is pretty much gone.

  14. #14

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Hmm...my 10-20 is also holding up, but my 100-300's coating is pretty much gone.
    might be different treatment for different lenses, i guess.

    i was searching on this last night because gnawing fears that i would have a naked bare looking plastic piece of thing soon made me do so, no such complaints about 10-20, but particular lenses in the sigma range were frequent examples.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    might be different treatment for different lenses, i guess.

    i was searching on this last night because gnawing fears that i would have a naked bare looking plastic piece of thing soon made me do so, no such complaints about 10-20, but particular lenses in the sigma range were frequent examples.
    Oh, Sigma EX lenses are metal under the EX coating. It looks pretty cool at first.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    my Sigma 10-20mm starting to peel off a bit already
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  17. #17

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    my Sigma 10-20mm starting to peel off a bit already


    quick quick, how long did it take

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    has been using it quite frequently for close to 2 years now.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,776

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    seriously, EX should be just ditched away... i totally dunno why sigma has the face to advertise the EX BIG BIG on their lenses. just like Nikon DX, its obviously inferior to full frame but Nikon advertise DX BIG BIG...

    lol... i really wonder what are their marketing departments thinking..
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  20. #20

    Default Re: A (tongue-in-cheek) Jab At Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    seriously, EX should be just ditched away... i totally dunno why sigma has the face to advertise the EX BIG BIG on their lenses. just like Nikon DX, its obviously inferior to full frame but Nikon advertise DX BIG BIG...

    lol... i really wonder what are their marketing departments thinking..
    maybe it's clever marketing..

    reverse psychology.. if they put EX and it's not EX compared to C/N offerings, then people will buy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •