Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What You Want For Your Next Generation Computer

Default What You Want For Your Next Generation Computer

What I want for the next generation personal computer is not faster CPU, or more secured operating system or small form factor.

What I want for my next generation PC or notebook is to be able to boot up within 3-5 seconds flat and start typing.

Sometime after I switched off the computer, and later found that I forgot something that need to complete, but thinking got to wait for 45 seconds to more than 1 minute to boot up the computer completely stops me from doing so.

Default Re: What You Want For Your Next Generation Computer

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    What I want for the next generation personal computer is not faster CPU, or more secured operating system or small form factor.

What I want for my next generation PC or notebook is to be able to boot up within 3-5 seconds flat and start typing.

Sometime after I switched off the computer, and later found that I forgot something that need to complete, but thinking got to wait for 45 seconds to more than 1 minute to boot up the computer completely stops me from doing so.
    boot up is depends on how much things are loaded on the startup and the OS you use.

if you have no misc hardware, software to boot on startup, your boot up time can be faster.

the fastest boot up i've seen will be one using a non-gui linux... even with gui, most linux boot up significantly faster, new installation to new installation vs windows.

*p.s. faster processor dun speed up your boot up process, almost negligible differences, unless you are using a Pentium 2 - 300mhz, vs a C2Extreme 3.2ghz.

most likely you can try cleaning your registry to see if there is any unused stuff still lingering in the startup.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Don't shutdown. Use hibernate.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Could be possible, I read a news story the other day where they are testing a new type of transistor(?) or something like that which will act as RAM but be able to remember information without power, so startup could almost be instantaneous.

Will try and find the news story now.

"The memristors are so called because they have the ability to "remember" the amount of charge that has flowed through them after the power has been switched off.

This could allow researchers to build new kinds of computer memory that would would not require powering up.

Today, most PCs use dynamic random access memory (DRAM) which loses data when the power is turned off.

But a computer built with memristors could allow PCs that start up instantly, laptops that retain sessions after the battery dies, or mobile phones that can last for weeks without needing a charge.

"If you turn on your computer it will come up instantly where it was when you turned it off," Professor Williams told Reuters.

"That is a very interesting potential application, and one that is very realistic."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7377063.stm

Be embeded in me. Use my power, do all the thinking for me, make money for me e.g. buy and sell the best stock/share, keep me healthy by prompting me on my health status and if possible activate my inmuse system.

Please continue to add..............

Last but not least, switch me off when it is time for me to go painlessly and without worrying my next generation!

Be embeded in me. Use my power, do all the thinking for me, make money for me e.g. buy and sell the best stock/share, keep me healthy by prompting me on my health status and if possible activate my inmuse system.

Please continue to add..............

Last but not least, switch me off when it is time for me to go painlessly and without worrying my next generation!

I want an XMM coming out of my next generation computer.

And she charges nothing to pose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post

It's here:

http://www.splashtop.com/index.php

Alternatively, there's always DOS...
    Last edited by StreetShooter; 10th May 2008 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    ooooh...

P5N64 WS Professional - 3way SLI...

... btw, using nvidia... haiz...

P5E3 Deluxe / WiFi/AP

... hoho, x38 chipset!!!
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Next gen computer? I actually want the damned thing to work without the problems of all the software patches, bugs, and whatnot. Apparently that is too much to ask for....

Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
    Next gen computer? I actually want the damned thing to work without the problems of all the software patches, bugs, and whatnot. Apparently that is too much to ask for....
    That's not a computer issue. That's a software issue.

Even the boot up speed is a software issue. :P

:Later,

A solar powered laptop with the back-up battery lasting at least 12 hours of continued use
    Don't Dance with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight...

A computer that can generate sure-win lucky 4D numbers will be good.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    A computer that can generate sure-win lucky 4D numbers will be good.

Thanks.
    No it wouldnt, because everyone would have one and win, you would pay more for the 4D ticket then you'd get in winnings!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    That's not a computer issue. That's a software issue.

Even the boot up speed is a software issue. :P

:Later,
    You're right.. come to think of it, computers without ANYTHING installed (blank hard disks) very seldom give trouble

Pity the computer won't work without software

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I want an XMM coming out of my next generation computer.

And she charges nothing to pose.
    I can't help but laughing at this post.
    If only human can teleport via the computer network!

Migration of computer OS to SSD !

I got an eee PC recently. With a clean installation on just a Celeron 900 processor, i booted up Office 2007 and my pdf files within less than 2 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Wa if ur computer malfunctions then how. But then again u will probably not know also.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Don't shutdown. Use hibernate.
    true! true! I always let my Macbook Pro sleeps. when up is very fast, less than 2-3s.

even boot up is fast, my Mac Pro boots up in around 40-45s.

Quote Originally Posted by JillValentine View Post
    true! true! I always let my Macbook Pro sleeps. when up is very fast, less than 2-3s.

even boot up is fast, my Mac Pro boots up in around 40-45s.
    I don't like to put my laptop to sleep as it always has dirty dreams and refuses to wake up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast