Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking photos with horizon

Default Re: Taking photos with horizon

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    The ones on the tripod are almost useless because the whole set up might not even be sitting on 100% flat ground to begin with. Its a pain to get them all aligned. The most efficient way is still to have a hotshow mounted level. This way, you don't have to dabble with the tripod, just make minute adjustments to the camera position.
    i beg to differ. as long as you can get the bubble spirit level right on the tripod, no matter the tripod is planted on a flat level ground or on a slope, the picture should come out levelled with the horizon.

as for hotshoe bubble spirit, one word - Rubbish.

Think. Which is easier? Adjust your tripod legs to level or level with your tripod head adjustments? I though that was a no brainer.

I use the focus points in the viewfinder as a rough guide.

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Why don't you post your photo to see how slanted your horizon is? Sometimes you can be too critical of your photos.

You just have to be aware of your composition when taking the photograph and approximate your horizon. any line from pt a to b is a straight line, you need to know your viewfinder and approximate where the left & right point is at the same dist from the corners. Having a grid line in your viewfinder only helps if you always shoot with horizon at those lines.

Just practise more and you will get the hang of it. like they say in martial arts, be one with your camera......practise.practise.practise.

Here's one of the worst ones i have.... some came out acceptable.. but pix like this... really unacceptable .....

Definitely practise is impt.. just that it annoys me when I see the results of the pix after returning from my trip..... Will try to keep in mind to try and use the focusing point as reference...
    Last edited by BlurQueen78; 11th May 2008 at 12:55 PM.

I think one contributing factor is that people often take photos too hastily(not pointing at anyone here in particular), they don't check before taking the photos and they most certainly don't check after. That's what I observed, be it my students or people I see on the streets. Its not that difficult. All you need to do is to review your photos enlarged and line the horizons and verticals against the edge of your LCD panel. You'll know instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I think one contributing factor is that people often take photos too hastily(not pointing at anyone here in particular), they don't check before taking the photos and they most certainly don't check after. That's what I observed, be it my students or people I see on the streets. Its not that difficult. All you need to do is to review your photos enlarged and line the horizons and verticals against the edge of your LCD panel. You'll know instantly.
    Actually I do review the pix, but my mistake was not to review it enlarged..... thanks for pointing this out ..... will take note in future!

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    You just have to be aware of your composition when taking the photograph and approximate your horizon. any line from pt a to b is a straight line, you need to know your viewfinder and approximate where the left & right point is at the same dist from the corners. Having a grid line in your viewfinder only helps if you always shoot with horizon at those lines.
    Having a grid screen definitely helps. Even of the horizon is not exactly where the grid is, its still better to have a reference line nearer to the horizon then the corners of the VF to gauge the distances. In a way, you move the corner of references nearer to the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurQueen78 View Post
    Here's one of the worst ones i have.... some came out acceptable.. but pix like this... really unacceptable .....

Definitely practise is impt.. just that it annoys me when I see the results of the pix after returning from my trip..... Will try to keep in mind to try and use the focusing point as reference...
    That horizon is off by about 1.5 deg to the left. Keep shooting. Its not hard to spot that out once you are experienced enough.

For now, what Kit said makes the most sense; without having to purchase any additional equipment, the AF points are a good reference. Line them up with the horizon, and hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    For now, what Kit said makes the most sense; without having to purchase any additional equipment, the AF points are a good reference. Line them up with the horizon, and hoot!
    Yes... and keep shooting .............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12