Thread: aft NS, need some advice

Default aft NS, need some advice on wildlife jobs

hi ppl, i am serving my NS halfway and is currently thinking of what to do after ORD. i am planning to do something which relates to the environment or animals, but i do not have any qualification regarding this field and these jobs always require qualification in biotech or life sciences( my diploma is in civil and structural engineering). anyone knows whether is there any ways to get a job in my desired field without having to posses the required qualification? or is there any course which i can take up to a qualification?
    Last edited by dennisthetiger; 9th May 2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Award winner of Singapore Young Photographer Award 2012
    dennisongphotography.com

Default Re: aft NS, need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by dennisthetiger View Post
    hi ppl, i am serving my NS halfway and is currently thinking of what to do after ORD. i am planning to do something which relates to the environment or animals, but i do not have any qualification regarding this field and these jobs always require qualification in biotech or life sciences( my diploma is in civil and structural engineering). anyone knows whether is there any ways to get a job in my desired field without having to posses the required qualification? or is there any course which i can take up to a qualification?
    Actually, your field of environment and animals covers a very wide range. Environment can mean the built-up environment ( health & safety) & natural environment (air land and water). Would you be refering to the natural environment? You would need to decide in which area you want to focus in and look from there.

Actually civil engineers are already employed in the environmental industry because of the engineering solutions needed. But there is an increasing need to look beyond engineering solutions. The reason they need qualification for environmental sciences is because of the chemistry and biology involved. You will be hard put in a disadvantage if you do not possess a background in the subject.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

well i am into the natural world, like animals and habitat stuff, its something which i really wana do, but i could not get into the course due to my O lvls not meeting the requirement. My poly grades are also not gd enough to get me into local Uni( not sure if SIM got any of such course). Unless i go overseas to get a degree on zoology, i am not sure if there is any way i can find a way to a job relating to this. if there is anyone who knows any lobang, do share pls thx
    dennisongphotography.com

Maybe you can start off as a volunteer in our zoo, bird park or underwater world.

A word of cautions, it is very hand on work and it is dirty.

Smile Re: aft NS, need some advice

U couldn't have graduated with a better diploma at a better time!
    Due to the two IRs, demand for construction staff are at an all time high, (along with construction materials, equipment etc, hence good time to be construction supplier too).
    Your basic salary plus over time pay as a registered technical officer could be almost equivalent to a graduate engineer!
    So perhaps you may wish to catch the boat now while the iron is still hot. Then after go for further studies if you wish, it's usually easier to study with some practical experience. Lot's of poly grads get 1st/2nd honours in Uni's.

Sadly very few jobs or degrees in Singapore are animal related. Even if you do get a degree in zoology or ecology you will problably only be empliyed by AVA, Zoo or Nparks. I guess working first then saving to go overseas might be the best option for you right now
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Default Re: aft NS, need some advice on wildlife jobs

To do something of your interest and also earn $$$$$ - best option.
    Next if you come from a rich family, do something that help others and help yourself
    If you need $$$$$, be realistic go into the job that pay you best and upgrade yourself as you go along!

To do something of your interest and also earn $$$$$ - best option.
    Next if you come from a rich family, do something that help others and help yourself
    If you need $$$$$, be realistic go into the job that pay you best and upgrade yourself as you go along!

ya, had thought of all these too, just lost in which path to choose. Cos i dun wana choose the wrong job. in addition, i am learning maritime stuff thru my NS in coast guard, which may help me aft i ORD in working perhaps for a maritime company, so there is still some backup. as some of my frens told me that they feel kinda lost aft graduation or ORD, i think its better to start planning my future now.
    Last edited by dennisthetiger; 11th May 2008 at 01:32 AM.
    dennisongphotography.com

ya, had thought of all these too, just lost in which path to choose. Cos i dun wana choose the wrong job. in addition, i am learning maritime stuff thru my NS in coast guard, which may help me aft i ORD in working perhaps for a maritime company, so there is still some backup. as some of my frens told me that they feel kinda lost aft graduation or ORD, i think its better to start planning my future now.
    I can empathise with you, though I had a different situation. Its similiar to people who graduate and is looking for a job.

Don't worry about it. Write your general CV to determine your interest, strength and weakness. Look at your options. Find out more from the net about companies, types of jobs and career advice. No matter what you do or where you go, everything will turn out for the best. Follow your instinct and your heart.....

You may want to look for a career in the zoo. They are actively looking for people who loves nature and animals.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayschampion View Post
    You may want to look for a career in the zoo. They are actively looking for people who loves nature and animals.
    did checked it out...but seems like they need ppl with either experience or a qualification regarding the job. i have check the pay for zookeeper which is only 1200, which seems low. tho finding job of ur interest is one thing, but need to find a job with a stable income too. think i will find a job somewhere and then work as a volunteer at the night safari.
    dennisongphotography.com

did checked it out...but seems like they need ppl with either experience or a qualification regarding the job. i have check the pay for zookeeper which is only 1200, which seems low. tho finding job of ur interest is one thing, but need to find a job with a stable income too. think i will find a job somewhere and then work as a volunteer at the night safari.
    Have faith in yourself. If you think you like the job, don't worry about the starting salary. Once you are able to prove yourself, the salary will increase. Its more important to do something you have a passion for. Your passion will show in the job and people will want you to do the job, not you want to keep the job.

Volunteering at the night safari is a good idea. helps to understand the functions and working of the SZG. You will have the connections and the information to help you when you really want to work there as a staff.

anyone who knows any courses by private or foreign uni with degree in life sciences or zoology can let me know? cos getting into local U for me is almost zero..thx
    dennisongphotography.com

anyone who knows any courses by private or foreign uni with degree in life sciences or zoology can let me know? cos getting into local U for me is almost zero..thx
    Private U in Sinagapore, Life Science this a few, zoology not heard off any....

Btw, Life Science is a very different field.......

Actually S$1200 as a starting pay is not so bad if you had the passion. Firstly you don't have relevent experience nor certification, so can't expect much.

Even happen that you return from oversea with a degree in zoology, don't expect the zoo will open their door to you, they might had enough head count.

Btw, do you have a good result in biology in your O or A level?
    If not, to get into zoology degree.......quite difficult, even you can get in, you will have a very tough time.

It is not able just feed and cleaning up animal, or image just staying outfield taking photo.

Their are lots and lots of very very dry topic to Memorize.
    Last edited by Leong23; 12th May 2008 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Btw, do you have a good result in biology in your O or A level?
    If not, to get into zoology degree.......quite difficult, even you can get in, you will have a very tough time.

It is not able just feed and cleaning up animal, or image just staying outfield taking photo.

Their are lots and lots of very very dry topic to Memorize.
    ya i agree, actually since young i have been reading up on animals, so maybe the basics i can still handle, but stuff like the ethology of the animals, the anatomy and all, that one will be really though, with all the long scientific terms which gives u headache, and there is too much to learn in zoology, everyday there is a new discovery, it never ends
    dennisongphotography.com

ya i agree, actually since young i have been reading up on animals, so maybe the basics i can still handle, but stuff like the ethology of the animals, the anatomy and all, that one will be really though, with all the long scientific terms which gives u headache, and there is too much to learn in zoology, everyday there is a new discovery, it never ends
    New discovery is what makes it interesting and exciting.

You probably do applied biology and chemistry in Zoology anywhere, so its applicable to your chosen path. Its the interests & passion that count, which makes you stay awake reading the notes and stuff.

I never took biology in O & A levels, and flung my free elective in chem & microbiology in my degree course, but I am doing MSc in water management, which involves learning applied microbiology & chemistry. Its a fascinating field, though of course I look at pathogens and protozoas, instead of animals... Think I did pretty well though, if I may say so myself...

Dennis,

I won't say anything about the micro aspects of answers to your question, because there are lots of folks far better equipped to contribute in this area.

I will offer one little bit of advise I experienced though the years:

There is NO such thing as a totally wrong choice where these matters are concerned, especially for someone in your position.

There's only a choice that leads you down the path of discovery, learning and enrichment, and there are paths which will take you around circles of confusion, even though they seem to be more rewarding in the beginning.

The left fork, or the right - which is the one for you? Neither is wrong, except how you approach and apply it in your life-long endeavors.

It might not make sense to you right now, but perhaps one day you will look back and remember what this rambling fool who 'doesn't have any clue at all' said, and it will all (or at least some of it) fall into place.

All the best in your adventures.

thx guys for the advices, well i'll leave my options open, analyse what i really want, and go for it!
    dennisongphotography.com