Thread: Question on Sony A100 lense

Default Question on Sony A100 lense

Hi I'm a newbie here

I got a question for this Sony A100 lense.
    I borrow this cam from my friend and use it to take some shot.
    The lense stated that the zoom is 18-70 mm which at first I thought "WOW",
    the angle is so wide, so can definitely take some very good landscape photos.
    but later I found that it's not much wider than a 28mm wide-angle camera
    Is it because there is some setting that I didn't use or it's just sony standard is different from others?

Default Re: Question on Sony A100 lense

the a100 is a aps-c camera with a crop factor of 1.5. so your lens effective fov is actually 27mm and not 18mm.

Well, most DSLRs have a 1.5 crop as compared to a 35mm film camera, so a 18-70mm on a DSLR is actually equivalent to a 27mm-105mm range when compared to the film. Hence, there is not much difference when you compared it to your 28mm camera.
    Last edited by Galdor; 9th May 2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Thks man for the quick reply (less than 1 minute some more )

Will look up more info on this aps-c camera

the A100 is not a full frame camera as are SLRs. it's FOV is cropped by 1.5x. this effectively means that 18mm on a non-full-frame DSLR is the equivalent of 27mm on a full-frame DSLR. this explains your observations.

most APS-sized DSLRs have their FOVs cropped by 1.5x or 1.6x. as their sensors are smaller, they capture a smaller portion of the FOV, but magnifies it to the specified resolution.
    Sony ɑ55V || Sony 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 || Minolta 28mm F2.8 || Minolta 50mm F1.4 || Minolta 70-210mm F4

How do I know the difference if I see a aps-c type lense & a normal 35mm type lense as I can see that difference brand use difference standard.

If you are referring to Sony/KM, a lens meant for APS-C cameras will be marked with DT. Otherwise, the others will be for Full Frame as well. You can actually use lenses for a FF camera on an APS-C sensor just that the lens will not be as wide.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony