Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: confusion regarding f-stop and studio lighting VS f-stop and camera

Default Re: confusion regarding f-stop and studio lighting VS f-stop and camera

let me try:

1. say the studio light produces a certain amount of light so that as the only light source it provides enough light for an image to be taken

2. the studio light can vary the light output so that more or less light will reach the camera

3. if the studio light produces more light, all else being equal, more light reaches the camera and the camera can use a smaller aperture to capture enough light for a 'proper' amount of exposure, say f11

4. if the studio light produces less light, all else being equal, less light reaches the camera and the camera has to use a larger aperture so that the same 'proper' exposure is achieved, say f8

thus, in situation 3, the larger amount of light produced is enough for a smaller aperture of f11 and if, all else being equal, the light source intensity were to be reduced by one stop, then a larger aperture of f8 (opening the aperture by one stop) would be required for the same 'proper' aperture...
    Last edited by theRBK; 9th May 2008 at 12:24 PM.

Default Re: confusion regarding f-stop and studio lighting VS f-stop and camera

thanks 2 everyone providing answer 2 my question, esp. Dream Merchant, yanyewkay & alexj. of cos not forgetting others too that have enlightened my weedy brain.

i will try out with my newly acquired lightmeter and sb800(need 2 borrow another 1 thou, or isit?). think i read too many books and 'never' go shoot shoot, ie an armchair photog.
    Last edited by cryder; 9th May 2008 at 10:24 PM.
    Nothing2C
    Nikon [D300, MB-D10, D80, Trinity, 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 18-200, SB-800]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12