Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Motorcyclist Derserve Respect?

Default Re: Does Motorcyclist Derserve Respect?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    A large proportion of motorcyclists like to create their own lanes on the dotted line - maybe they played too much Pac Man in the past when they were younger.

Deswitch: I would rather get rear-ended than to beat the red light. If you get rear ended, you will be compensated accordingly. If you beat the red light and get caught, no amount of justification will save you from 12 demerit points.
    I think you must be short liao, who dare to sit on a bike and let a car ban on your backside, most likely the your family will get compensated accordingly instead of you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

vince123123
    Guests

I'm wondering, if a car tries to squeeze you out of your lane, and you stick to the centre of the lane, does it mean that he will go so close and hit you? I'm not sure if the car can last very long in an impasse because he will be straddling two lanes in trying to squeeze you out.

Well I suppose you meet all types around.

Quote Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
    i was once a motorcyclist and this is very true. Everytime i tried to occupy a single lane i will get squeezed out of the lane by some other driver. No choice but to ride in between lanes...

vince123123
    Guests

My apologies, I misread and didn't read properly that DeSwitch was on a bike and not in a car. In such a case, yes probably he had to beat the light.

Whilst I'm not a rider, perhaps I can ask if it is possible to move to the side rather than to beat the light?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I think you must be short liao, who dare to sit on a bike and let a car ban on your backside, most likely the your family will get compensated accordingly instead of you.

Well I don't know abt your friends/colleagues, but almost all I've asked prefer to have a motorcyclist riding in his own lane.

Riding in the lane means greater certainty, as you now know where the guy is going or headed. If he changes lane, it is easy to tell where he's headed to.

Riding on the line, you can't tell if he's staying on the line, or moving left or right. And because he's on the line, the distance to move left or right is very small, such that you can't anticipate in time when/where he's going.

Besides, it really isn't about what anyone prefers, it is what the law states. I do believe in driving school, they tell motorcyclists to ride in the centre of the full lane, not on the dotted lines. Perhaps you can help clarify as well since you're a motorcyclist, and I'm not.
    by the traffic law, motor cyclist have to ride on the center of a land, in the eye of most car drives, motor cyclist don't deserve to ride on the center of a lane.
    so either the rider get flash high beam, honk, or squeeze out the center of the lane.

Well I don't know abt your friends/colleagues, but almost all I've asked prefer to have a motorcyclist riding in his own lane.

Riding in the lane means greater certainty, as you now know where the guy is going or headed. If he changes lane, it is easy to tell where he's headed to.

Riding on the line, you can't tell if he's staying on the line, or moving left or right. And because he's on the line, the distance to move left or right is very small, such that you can't anticipate in time when/where he's going.

Besides, it really isn't about what anyone prefers, it is what the law states. I do believe in driving school, they tell motorcyclists to ride in the centre of the full lane, not on the dotted lines. Perhaps you can help clarify as well since you're a motorcyclist, and I'm not.
    Let me share with you the feeling of being tailgated by a car when you are riding, I feel vulnerable. I am keeping a safe distance of the car in front of me, yet that idiot car behind tailgate me, i have the same right on the road too.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

seriously it doesn't work this way in sg unfortunately. I've tried riding 1 lane to myself. the "empty spaces" my my left and right are just big gaps for cars to fill in from left and right forcing me out of the lane. This is exceptionally true if there is a jam.

However, in USA, it is mandatory for bikes to take up the middle of the lanes as if they were a car and cars are very automatic to treat them with the space they are entitled to.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn View Post
    Let me share with you the feeling of being tailgated by a car when you are riding, I feel vulnerable. I am keeping a safe distance of the car in front of me, yet that idiot car behind tailgate me, i have the same right on the road too.
    No matters what's the situation, two wheeler are always in the disadvantage.

My apologies, I misread and didn't read properly that DeSwitch was on a bike and not in a car. In such a case, yes probably he had to beat the light.

Whilst I'm not a rider, perhaps I can ask if it is possible to move to the side rather than to beat the light?
    I'm not a stunt rider, don't how to how to ramp toutle and turn the handle bar same time, to make a sharp turn.

jump down from the bike will take too long anyway.

by the traffic law, motor cyclist have to ride on the center of a land, in the eye of most car drives, motor cyclist don't deserve to ride on the center of a lane.
    so either the rider get flash high beam, honk, or squeeze out the center of the lane.
    still got a few more options:

a) get a big motorbike

if big enough, you might be able to even bully kia picantos!

b) get a hot gf

please see link - don't worry no nudity, but later people not happy.

don't even need to talk about bike..

sometimes when driving on the highway also, moving at 80km/h the car behind still want to kiss backside like got gold like that

if in front got one car brake, then i boh pian i brake, then how? you think he can react in time

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    still got a few more options:

a) get a big motorbike

if big enough, you might be able to even bully kia picantos!

b) get a hot gf

please see link - don't worry no nudity, but later people not happy.

harlo,
    bike with side car can not take express way, now you are worst than the car liao, caught in the jam, raining you get wet, no air con some more.

second one worst, a lot of people will get killed on the road.

This is so damm true in SG esp. uncles in Cefiro and Camry...

When i ride, two reason why i stick in-between the lanes is becuz im afraid of the my rear kerna kissed by 4-wheelers, and secondly i'm afraid of the front 4-wheelers suddenly jam brake! Very common in a traffic jam wor...

When i drive, i always give way to bikers... even though i can't stand those msia "racers" and pizza delivery folks (it's their life after all). i mean does it kill you to give them some space? in a few seconds, they are gone.

Maybe he was a bit too close to the stop line to move to the side. But anyway as a motorcyclist in Singapore, whenever friends ask me whether they should buy a bike to ride here, I tell them to buy coz of freedom but be ready to pray quite a bit coz they can't be sure of getting back home.

Seriously, I feel there is very little awareness of a biker being in the lane if you are in a car in front. They do not bother to check the blindspot and there has been many a time when the car changes lanes without signalling and even has the audacity to honk at me for taking the other lane.

But I do also agree that squeezing is bad and should be avoided when the traffic is moving. If its a jam then its a different matter but still we as motorcyclists need to be extra careful.
    Come visit my Flickr :)

best part is when TP squeeze in between lanes they are right, when we squeeze we are wrong..
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

best part is when TP squeeze in between lanes they are right, when we squeeze we are wrong..
    Errr a TP is a official and if he is squeezing he has a right to do so. Maybe he is clearing the jam or just moving forward to check why the traffic is slow moving. Just because an official vehicle can do something doesn't mean we should too.

And the other thing, no one will hit the TP if he is squeezing but you my friend, they will hit with pleasure :P

change your bike to white color, and wear white color jacket and helmet lor.

harlo,
    bike with side car can not take express way, now you are worst than the car liao, caught in the jam, raining you get wet, no air con some more.

second one worst, a lot of people will get killed on the road.
    but it's an option

we all love options, right? even if they are stupid.

To all young Bikie:

You may do whatever you want to impress.
    But just don't cut into a cornering from my left, especially in the left filtering corners.
    I will be very pissed because you will have frightened me.
    And when I am scare I will make mistake, and you probably will not have the second chance to perform the same stunt again when I make a mistake.

To all young and pretty pillions:

Please watch you dress code leh. Mini skirt or super low cut jeans do not compliment the moto bike well, unless you are in Motor Shows.
    I am easily distracted, will drive close enough to take a peep, type of person.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 8th May 2008 at 10:47 PM.

From my riding experience, I dun think is wise to ride in the center of a full lane for two reasons. 1: Cars or bigger vehicle doesnt like it, they think we are hogging the road.(no point occupying the lane to endanger ourselves) 2: The painted signage in the center of the lane is slippery when we brake and worst during rainy days. Furthermore metal manhole is also in the center which is super slippery when cornering or stopping. The braking as compare to car and bike is totally different. Just sharing my view on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    To all young Bikie:

You may do whatever you want to impress.
    But just don't cut into a cornering from my left, especially in the left filtering corners.
    I will be very pissed because you will have frightened me.
    And when I am scare I will make mistake, and you probably will not have the second chance to perform the same stunt again when I make a mistake.
    Gimme your car number man, I guess I shall keep a distance - possibly two lanes away

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    To all young and pretty pillions:

Please watch you dress code leh. Mini skirt or super low cut jeans do not compliment the moto bike well, unless you are in Motor Shows.
    I am easily distracted, will drive close enough to take a peep, type of person.
    this I shall agree with too but then again need refreshment on road ma - eye candy. Sorry for being derogatory but still you wear I stare.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast