Thread: Do you use UV filters on top/bottom of other filters?

Smile Do you use UV filters on top/bottom of other filters?

Hi clubsnappers,

Just to look at some opinions,

Do you guys often use UV filters on top/bottom of other filters such as polarizers, ND, warm up 81A...etc?

Default Re: Do you use UV filters on top/bottom of other filters?

you might get funny results, i know someone here tried uv + ir before and got funny colorations as opposed to what he was supposed to be getting.

if i remember correctly.

but in any case, *why* would you want to do that?

the more filters you have, the more chance they are being dirty

even if they are clean, they will degrade your image, because your lens was designed to be used naked

besides that, you add on more trouble and headache with regards to vignetting problems; and i can just imagine the flaring. multicolored lights ftw.

donch be lazy, take out your uv filter, if you *must* have one, and it is not a must.. and use the other filter.

Haha i see, thanks.

Btw if i use a 52mm to 77mm step up filter rings will i be able to put a 62mm filter instead of a 77mm filter for the same step up rings(52mm to 77mm step up filter rings)?
    Last edited by XiaoWei; 8th May 2008 at 10:29 AM.

Don't think so. the size is 77mm, so it only fits a 77mm filter. If you want to put the 62mm filter onto the 52mm lens, you need a step-up ring (52 to 62mm).
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoWei View Post
    Haha i see, thanks.

Btw if i use a 52mm to 77mm step up filter rings will i be able to put a 62mm filter instead of a 77mm filter for the same step up rings(52mm to 77mm step up filter rings)?
    i'm not familiar with step up rings, but blive's explanation seems to make sense.

but rest assured, you will be able to use a 77mm filter without any trouble if you use a 52mm to 77mm step up filter ring on a 62mm filter thread lens.

Haha i see, thanks.

No, 77mm filter only fit on 77mm thread, 1 mm more or 1mm less also don't fit, else your filter will get jam.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i'm not familiar with step up rings, but blive's explanation seems to make sense.

but rest assured, you will be able to use a 77mm filter without any trouble if you use a 52mm to 77mm step up filter ring on a 62mm filter thread lens.
    So you mean that the strp-up rings for 52mm to 77mm can be use on 72mm lenses and lower till 52mm lenses?

So you mean that the strp-up rings for 52mm to 77mm can be use on 72mm lenses and lower till 52mm lenses?
    no no no, there are THREE things here

your LENS filter thread size
    the part of your step-up step-down ring that connects to the lens
    and the part of your step-up step-down ring that connects to the filter being used

all 3 can have different sizes.

all 3 sizes must fit what you are going to use them for. for example, if you have 52mm filter and 77mm lens filter thread size, then you need 77mm to 52mm step-down ring

BUT, for certain combinations , like the one i have just mentioned, you mayyyy experience vignetting depending on the focal length (and therefore field of view) of your lenses.

for example, if i use a 77mm to 52mm step-down ring on my sigma 10-20 lens with 77mm filter threads size, and put a 52mm filter.. you can be assured 100% that there will be vignetting. not really vignetting per se, but i can just see the rim of the whole filter in my viewfinder, and it will turn up in my picture.

comparatively, let's say if you have a hypothetical 200mm lens with 58mm filter thread size. there will probably be zero trouble using a 58mm to 52mm step-down ring with a 52mm thread size filter.

this problem should only surface for stepping down. stepping up, should have no problem unless very extreme examples, like fisheye lens. but i am not sure about that, since i have never used one before.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no no no, there are THREE things here

your LENS filter thread size
    the part of your step-up step-down ring that connects to the lens
    and the part of your step-up step-down ring that connects to the filter being used

all 3 can have different sizes.

all 3 sizes must fit what you are going to use them for. for example, if you have 52mm filter and 77mm lens filter thread size, then you need 77mm to 52mm step-down ring

BUT, for certain combinations , like the one i have just mentioned, you mayyyy experience vignetting depending on the focal length (and therefore field of view) of your lenses.

for example, if i use a 77mm to 52mm step-down ring on my sigma 10-20 lens with 77mm filter threads size, and put a 52mm filter.. you can be assured 100% that there will be vignetting. not really vignetting per se, but i can just see the rim of the whole filter in my viewfinder, and it will turn up in my picture.

comparatively, let's say if you have a hypothetical 200mm lens with 58mm filter thread size. there will probably be zero trouble using a 58mm to 52mm step-down ring with a 52mm thread size filter.

this problem should only surface for stepping down. stepping up, should have no problem unless very extreme examples, like fisheye lens. but i am not sure about that, since i have never used one before.
    For vignetting i understand, what i actually mean is that i have a step up ring and a 77mm filter and a 52mm filter thread lense, i could use the 77mm filter on the 52mm filter thread lense with the step up ring fixed, but could i use it on a 62mm filter thread lense instead of 52mm filter thread lense? Or that i need another step up ring of 62mm to 77mm?

For vignetting i understand, what i actually mean is that i have a step up ring and a 77mm filter and a 52mm filter thread lense, i could use the 77mm filter on the 52mm filter thread lense with the step up ring fixed, but could i use it on a 62mm filter thread lense instead of 52mm filter thread lense? Or that i need another step up ring of 62mm to 77mm?
    you need another ring