Thread: Scanning film - advice needed

Default Scanning film - advice needed

Hi all,

I'm new to the digital format and hope that more experienced members can help me.

I've got lots of film, both 35mm and 120, dating from almost 30 years and I'd like to archive them in digital format for preservation. I would also like to have the option of printing from the digital files in future.

What should I look out for when scanning these films? E.g. best file formats for printing etc. Are there professional labs somewhere that can offer advice and services for this? The typical shops in malls aren't able to provide quality scans and prints that I need.

Thanks!

Andrew

Default Re: Scanning film - advice needed

Wow, surprised no one answered so far.

I'm looking for a flatbed scanner now, to scan 135 negatives and slides, as well as 120 film. I didn't want a dedicated one coz I didn't think I need that quality. And it's much more expensive as well. And for my not-so-high-end use, I narrowed my search down to the Canon Canoscan 8800F, and the Epson V500.

But after searching for comparisons and reviews online, I think I have decided on the Canoscan 8800F. Some people say the V500 retains better details in the shadows and the highlights though, so it depends on what you want.

If you want Canoscan 8800F, ATF in Sim Lim selling for $293 cash. It's the cheapest I've found, surprisingly. If anyone knows better, do tell.

If, however, you want the V500, same shop in Sim Lim selling for $400 thereabouts, I think. Didn't really pay attention to the price of that since I'm more set on 8800F. Sorry.

Of course, these are low-midrange scanners so it really depends on your photographic eye for detail.

Cheers!
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Default Re: Scanning film - advice needed

Try here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285419

Do a search in the Printer and Scanner thread.. You'll find a lot of info there.