Thread: do I need anitvirus for vista?

Default do I need anitvirus for vista?

hi people,

I have been using apple for like some years and recently got a laptop running vista business.

I am wondering is antivirus essential? I am farily tech savvy and will not click or run any unauthorised programs. I do not download warez or any other funny programs.

So I still need to get an anti virus? If so, which one? I hate nortan as it is so bulky and I can't even turn off the protection easily to install PS elements.

Default Re: do I need anitvirus for vista?

yes, everything is vulnerable.

not just virus, there is spywares, worms, trojans around...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Of course you need!

Vista is not foolproof and there are many virus, trojan horses, backdoor programs that hide in legit programs, emails etc... And I am very sure there are tons of hackers out there now trying to create some devastating virus for Vista.

As long as you are on a PC, you have to get the anti-virus software. Nowadays, most of them comes with spyware and firewall protection too. You can install the free software from Grisoft here: http://free.grisoft.com/. Hope that helps. Cheers!

Definitely. AVG anti-virus free is good and Comodo Firewall Pro is nice, also, though the training can be annoying. Both are free. I'd also suggest using Firefox, even though Safari is available since Firefox has anti-phishing abilities and Safari doesn't.

You should check VersionTracker for software updates.

thanks. I think I will get a free one.

So which is better AVG or Avast? these two seems to be the most popular ones.

Either one would be fine. Cheers!

I'd use AVG. (Norton seems to be a scam as discussed by forums and such)

Mac FTW!

If you treat ur PC as your friend then you better be.

We human also need immunition from virus. So do computers. Indeed, mac and linux have their own AV too just not so many people aware of that. In a recent hacking competition, Mac is the worst in the challenge. The cracker just break a mac in 2 minutes. Vista is only crackable with JAVA enabled and Linux is so far uncrackable (for that day).

Quote Originally Posted by tunster View Post

We human also need immunition from virus. So do computers. Indeed, mac and linux have their own AV too just not so many people aware of that. In a recent hacking competition, Mac is the worst in the challenge. The cracker just break a mac in 2 minutes. Vista is only crackable with JAVA enabled and Linux is so far uncrackable (for that day).
    for a moment i was reading and keep thinking, immunition... like ammunition... lol...

should be immunization.

(skip if u find english class boring)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

you have a point there...although that is disturbing news, i don't think any mac user is likely to get hacked with normal usage..i'll have to watch my back then

True enough. Look at it this way, the mac was the most tempting. the dude didn't even bother about linux nor vista. He would have cracked it within the same time too

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim View Post
    True enough. Look at it this way, the mac was the most tempting. the dude didn't even bother about linux nor vista. He would have cracked it within the same time too
    How come you are so sure?

It's good to note that the first day when it was operating system only, no one bothered to try.

The second day, they were able to get assistance from a person using each machine, so the person on the Mac went to a specific web page that was created well in advance of the contest and the exploit worked.

Linux wasn't even tried because most of these people love Linux and don't want to give it a bad reputation but many, many Mac fanatics are so smug that they need to be shut up sometimes. Vista can be cracked at any time, given a strong wind. It's only more annoying than WinXP, it's not really more safe.