Thread: Need Help - Shooting events

Default Need Help - Shooting events

I'm in dire need of help from all the gurus , brothers, sisters and friends of clubsnap.

I consider myself a newbie, humbly learning all the time from trial and error . No formal learning from anywhere, not from books but from trial and error.

i've been shooting for years now, from minolta maxxim 3xi and then my trusted fuji s5500 then my s1pro and now my d50.

I've shot a "friend"'s wedding, actually im serving NS and he's a DXO , and we're quite close so i did shoot as a "backup" photographer. I've shot my cousin's engagement . I've shot my unit's cohesion day as well as NE trip .

Now, i've been tasked to shoot my unit's COC parade and 2008 NDP. Very very very very heavy responsibility.

im not so confident with myself, comparing my friend's work , who did it last year before he ORD, i found my shots are not as nice as his.

Im actually thinknig of upgrading, using a d50 with 18-55 kit lens, tokina atxpro 28-70 f2.8, a nikon 50mm f1.8, a tamron 28-200 and an old tokina 100-300mm f6.3to cant remember what, a sunpak pz40x nonttl version, and an sb-24 also no ttl.

an issue i have with the d50 is that shots at iso800 are a pain. noise is visible . the d50 is a nice and wonderful camera but chaning aperture is a pain, having to press button and move knob. I found the d70/70s a better one, having different knobs, one for shutter another for aperture.

Currently im looking for a new body. ive considered a d70s but im not sure how the noise level is compared to the d50.
    either i get a new body, 2nd hand d70s, a flash or new lens.

Ive found at times i need a wide angle lens, at times some zoom with good low light. pumping to iso 800 is a pain. ive gotten used to the sb-24 with manual controls, but at times, im not taht confident, and miss my shots as under-exposed or over-exposed.

please help me out, im lost on what to do. i've a very limited budget . my last NS pay before i ORD and i intend to use it for good use while i still have some cash. $500 max...

Default Re: Need Help - Shooting events

Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    I'm in dire need of help from all the gurus , brothers, sisters and friends of clubsnap.

I consider myself a newbie, humbly learning all the time from trial and error . No formal learning from anywhere, not from books but from trial and error.

i've been shooting for years now, from minolta maxxim 3xi and then my trusted fuji s5500 then my s1pro and now my d50.

I've shot a "friend"'s wedding, actually im serving NS and he's a DXO , and we're quite close so i did shoot as a "backup" photographer. I've shot my cousin's engagement . I've shot my unit's cohesion day as well as NE trip .

Now, i've been tasked to shoot my unit's COC parade and 2008 NDP. Very very very very heavy responsibility.

im not so confident with myself, comparing my friend's work , who did it last year before he ORD, i found my shots are not as nice as his.

Im actually thinknig of upgrading, using a d50 with 18-55 kit lens, tokina atxpro 28-70 f2.8, a nikon 50mm f1.8, a tamron 28-200 and an old tokina 100-300mm f6.3to cant remember what, a sunpak pz40x nonttl version, and an sb-24 also no ttl.

an issue i have with the d50 is that shots at iso800 are a pain. noise is visible . the d50 is a nice and wonderful camera but chaning aperture is a pain, having to press button and move knob. I found the d70/70s a better one, having different knobs, one for shutter another for aperture.

Currently im looking for a new body. ive considered a d70s but im not sure how the noise level is compared to the d50.
    either i get a new body, 2nd hand d70s, a flash or new lens.

Ive found at times i need a wide angle lens, at times some zoom with good low light. pumping to iso 800 is a pain. ive gotten used to the sb-24 with manual controls, but at times, im not taht confident, and miss my shots as under-exposed or over-exposed.

please help me out, im lost on what to do. i've a very limited budget . my last NS pay before i ORD and i intend to use it for good use while i still have some cash. $500 max...
    hi am no pro here , but can share some exp as a ex d50 user , if let said u r using d50 with 28-70mm f2.8 with flash , u dont have to go for iso800 , try keep it at iso 400-600 range and for ur info d70s noise control is no better than d50 , if u have no cofindent on over/under exposed problem try using A mode
    Nikon D600 / D750

A- mode...

I forgot to say my style of shooting eh ? haha i shoot mostly using Manual mode. i dont know why, i just love the feel of manual mode.

the thing is .. I might need to change shutte speed as well as aperture fast, without having to press the EV + turn knob to change it.

All I can say is D70/s is no better in the noise compartment so no point changing, its iso 800 looks like those grainy horror clips (like the well scene from the ring) . Haha at least that's what it looked like to me.

My 2 cents:

Besides top-quality lenses and bodies, which you can rent and get your unit to pay for, the most critical thing in getting good shots at parades is ...

Logistics and Planning - waaaaay before hand. Also getting sercurity clearance and passes.

And attending lots of rehearsals.

I would also suggest informing whoever arrow you that you're not a pro, and can't guarantee results, and that your equipment is lacking.

All the best in your shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    My 2 cents:

Besides top-quality lenses and bodies, which you can rent and get your unit to pay for, the most critical thing in getting good shots at parades is ...

Logistics and Planning - waaaaay before hand. Also getting sercurity clearance and passes.

And attending lots of rehearsals.

I would also suggest informing whoever arrow you that you're not a pro, and can't guarantee results, and that your equipment is lacking.

All the best in your shoot.
    Totally agreed, i cover many events too. Logistics and Planning most impt! i will seek the planning commitee and get as much as i can, wat happen where and wat time. then plan ur shoot from there, trust me with planning like this the battle is half won.
    D7000|17-35mm f/2.8-4 |35-70mm f/2.8 |80-200mm f/2.8|100mm Macro f/2.8|SB800