Thread: Sunset @ Labrador

Default Sunset @ Labrador

A sunset picture that I took at Labrador Park.

Appreciate if someone could give me some pointers to improve.

Thank you very much for your time.

Benjamin.
    Last edited by eikin; 7th May 2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: link image

Default Re: Sunset @ Labrador

you should link the medium instead of the thumbnail, when copying the URL from the CS gallery, click on the small green-brown icon left of the Linked Thumbnail URL to look for the actual medium URL. link has been fixed for you in this post.

also, do provide a short writeup for your picture as per guidelines http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273376

will be useful if you can put down what you've done in post processing the picture or the shooting setting.

Hi, Folks.

Firstly, I'm sorry for the inital small image and thank you moderator for fixing the picture.

The following is my short write up:

I have always wanted to capture a picture of a beautiful Sunset. I wanted to show the Sun setting down a busy harbour.

This is my second attempt at Labrador Park taking Sunset pictures. The 1st attempt was not successful as there were some clouds covering the sunrays. I was hoping to get a rounder sun setting down at the container terminal. But the sun in this pic wasn't really a "rounder" shape of the sun that I was looking for. I was hoping some birds would be flying towards the setting sun which will look like the Sunset oil painting that I have memories of as a kid but unfortunately it did not happened.

Not much processing was done on the picture with the exception of enhancing the Dark Tones using Nikon software.

Picture was taken at F22 with Shutter Speed at 1/80 sec sitting on a tripod at 200mm. ISO is 100 with +0.3 step Exposure Compensation.

Hopefully, viewers could give me some advice whether if the picture was compose appropriately or more efforts on my parts that could have been done to improve the composition of the picture.

Thank you very much for your time.

Benjamin.

I think there's no need to stop down to f/22. I see some mild diffraction in the fine detail of the cranes. Stopping down to f/11 or f/16 should suffice.

The horizon also looks tilted, and I feel you can go with a tighter crop, as the foreground (seawater) has not much interesting detail; it can hence be cropped out.

Quote Originally Posted by ywtan9 View Post
    Picture was taken at F22 with Shutter Speed at 1/80 sec sitting on a tripod at 200mm. ISO is 100 with +0.3 step Exposure Compensation.
    calebk is not wrong in saying that you do not need f/22 here. you have to understand what you are doing. depth of field is certainly important in landscape photography, but one also has to understand that when you use f/22, that you get a degradation of image due to a physics phenomenem (let's just leave it at that, i don't understand it either) called diffraction. you can google "lens diffraction" about this if you are more interested. but you can be assured that anything above f/19 (starting at f/16 will certainly have, but it gets monstrous more and more quickly) will become "softer" even though you have more depth of field.

so when do you use f/22?

firstly, when you really, really, really need extreme depth of field. this is only applicable for ultra wide angle lenses in the region of 10mm to 15mm (before crop factor). you need a sharp focus from the foreground to background in the huge expense of space you are covering with your perspective. therefore, f/22 is almost considered normal - when there is a foreground to speak of.

secondly, when you have no ND filters, or you do not want to use them, but wish to extend exposure. here, you have extended it to 1/80 seconds. not much use. in this scene you have to think - do i need to smooth out the water? if you think you do, then check the shutter speed used, and then think - CAN i smooth out the water? if not, then you might as well shoot at f/8 to f/11. because there is no advantage gained.

thirdly, when you wish to make the sun appear starlike in form, while shooting at it directly. firstly, the sun has to appear as a "concentrated source", literally pinprick. more applicable in wide angle scenes, rather than telephoto.

hence, since there is no real justification for using f/22, don't use it. also, i thought for silhouette scenes like this, you would want to expose for the sun. appearing as a big globe of light, as it does here, is probably not very flattering for the sun.

you also seem to have some amount of flare here - not uncommon when shooting into the sun, the question is whether you aggravated the problem with having a filter over your lens when shooting. if yes, take it out. if you feel like cloning later on, as you should here, then you can at least clone it easier because not so pronounced.

next - the picture itself. understand the limitations of equipment, but even then some touchup can be done after during processing. first-off, the horizon appears to me to be tilted to the left. rotation in photoshop or image editing software will solve this. you should not be getting any other sort of distortions possible.

next - the composition. there is no shame in cropping out parts of a picture that you do not need. here - do you think the crane on the right of the picture is distracting? i think it to be very much so. i would crop it out because it serves no purpose in improving the picture, but it takes away from the picture. also, if the picture suits a panoramic crop, or a different ratio altogether, like i think here it suits 16:9 or 4:3.. then go ahead and change it.

i think that's all to be said here; i hope you do not think that i'm being overly critical here, nor is this a horrible image such that i can point out so many things. the only reason why i went into great detail here is because you have exhibited a lot more effort in details and writeup than most other critique-seekers here. so i thought this should, at the very least, be reciprocated. if you wanted a short and sweet version, i would have said: "don't use f/22 here, correct tilted horizon, and composition isn't sound - crop to improve".

cheers and good day.

Hi, Folks.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will take note of what is mentioned here and try it out again. Hopefully, the next attempt, the results will better than this.

Have a good day.

Benjamin.