Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Hualien Coastline

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    69

    Default Hualien Coastline



    Full view on deviantART
    Direct link

    I would appreciate feedback on the composition and post-processing (colours and sharpening).

    Is this picture interesting enough to justify for a lack of subject? Are the buildings on the left considered a distraction or are they acceptable in such a picture?

    Is post-processing overdone? Perhaps oversaturation?

    Thank you!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    this is not a bad picture; the subject here is the landscape, why do you say that there is no subject?

    the buildings on the left, i would not consider a distraction, they are such a small part of the picture, unless you clone them out, which is unnecessary, i won't worry about them.

    the colors here are fine, the only gripe is that the highlight in the sky is blown out - not your fault, but can be controlled with use of a gnd next time.

    i also felt that the picture would work better in bnw, not because it is a daytime picture and has no colorful light, but mainly because.. here it just works better, since the color is already quite uniform ,with a touch of blue in teh sky and green here and there - the color makes no impact, so it is better to take it away.



    cheers, let me know if you want me to remove.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    haha! i'm sorry! i've been under the impression there has to be some "real, obvious" subject in a picture for it to be considered a subject. for example, a silhouette in a sunrise shot, or perhaps a bridge, a boat, or some rocks in the foreground amidst the larger areas of sea and sky. i thought those rocks in my pictures are all over the place and so don't really fit that description.

    if the landscape were a subject, would a boring shot of just a horizon line with clouds in the sky and waves in the sea — and nothing else — be acceptable?

    or, if you could kindly refer to this previous picture i'd posted, could it be similarly said that the landscape or scene was the subject?

    not trying to challenge you, just confused about this subject thingy.

    thanks for advice on the gnd, i've read about it from the very useful articles and guides in this forum. but i'm only have a point-and-shoot canon powershot, so i had to rely on post-processing. in fact i had already done negative exposure compensation while taking the shot. in fact, i find myself doing negative compensation most of the time. perhaps this means my cheapo camera has a rather serious problem of metering with overexposure? the histogram seemed fine while reviewing after the shot though, so i thought the highlights weren't blown. perhaps it's my pp that blew them. haha.

    i don't mean any offense but while i do agree that the black-and-white version is nice, i feel that the colour version has its merits too. the black-and-white gives me a stronger "artistic" mood... as if i were supposed to look at it artistically and appreciate the more... "technical" aspects of the picture, for lack of a better word; in the colour version, personally i feel particularly drawn to the contrast between the blue in the water and the grey rocks, so i kinda like it as well.

    however, many thanks for taking the effort to work on my picture and to analyse with such depth. much appreciated!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    Quote Originally Posted by refraXion View Post
    haha! i'm sorry! i've been under the impression there has to be some "real, obvious" subject in a picture for it to be considered a subject. for example, a silhouette in a sunrise shot, or perhaps a bridge, a boat, or some rocks in the foreground amidst the larger areas of sea and sky. i thought those rocks in my pictures are all over the place and so don't really fit that description.

    if the landscape were a subject, would a boring shot of just a horizon line with clouds in the sky and waves in the sea — and nothing else — be acceptable?

    or, if you could kindly refer to this previous picture i'd posted, could it be similarly said that the landscape or scene was the subject?

    not trying to challenge you, just confused about this subject thingy.

    thanks for advice on the gnd, i've read about it from the very useful articles and guides in this forum. but i'm only have a point-and-shoot canon powershot, so i had to rely on post-processing. in fact i had already done negative exposure compensation while taking the shot. in fact, i find myself doing negative compensation most of the time. perhaps this means my cheapo camera has a rather serious problem of metering with overexposure? the histogram seemed fine while reviewing after the shot though, so i thought the highlights weren't blown. perhaps it's my pp that blew them. haha.

    i don't mean any offense but while i do agree that the black-and-white version is nice, i feel that the colour version has its merits too. the black-and-white gives me a stronger "artistic" mood... as if i were supposed to look at it artistically and appreciate the more... "technical" aspects of the picture, for lack of a better word; in the colour version, personally i feel particularly drawn to the contrast between the blue in the water and the grey rocks, so i kinda like it as well.

    however, many thanks for taking the effort to work on my picture and to analyse with such depth. much appreciated!
    nope, who said there must be? some shots work best without one particular subject, especially panos. in some sense, i do mean it when i say that the landscape IS the subject, the interesting formations in the foreground already make the picture interesting. you can't just apply one simple concept to everything.

    take for example, the rule of thirds *can* fail, placing the horizon in the middle *can* work, using leading lines *can* spoil a picture. there are so many things that can be shot, why limit yourself with guidelines?

    having one simple subject is a lot easier than arranging things such that they look and work well together. look at this world panorama pbase gallery here, how many shots can you see with one single subject?

    if the landscape were a subject, and you have a horizon line with clouds in the sky and waves in the sea, as you describe, i couldn't say for sure if the shot will be good, there are so many things that could vary in there, this is what makes photography interesting. two people could take the same subject, same scene at the same place, and yet one might produce something significantly more interesting than the other. to this, i cannot answer you, but if the clouds are interesting enough, why not?

    this is one of my favourite skyscape shots, it is something like what you describe. with clouds in the sky. the clouds also not really a single piece of subject.. link here

    for your previous one, i thought i had commented there, you can see the comments and that will tell you what i think of that shot. in some sense there while indeed, the landscape is the subject, it is not interesting enough. have you seen abstract shots? what do you think is the subject there?

    main reason why i convert to bnw is the blown out sky, bnw allows muchmore space for manipulation, and i do love having a sky with details. if you had managed to keep the details in the sky i'd agree with you for the color version, alas, i really cannot forgive the blown out highlights there.

    histogram, while giving you a gauge for exposure, does not tell the entire story. the sky is relatively bright, so while your histogram may show a nicely exposed story, there will still be overexposed parts.

    just like how if you take a person framed in the doorway, with the light from outside coming in. you can either get a silhouette, or a person with overexposed background, no?

    anyways, if p&s is your limitation then i guess there's nothing much to say about that.. though note that you *can* get a gnd set, very ley chey though. check out the cokin website for more details. cheers.
    Last edited by night86mare; 8th May 2008 at 09:53 AM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    you can't just apply one simple concept to everything.
    point noted, i did have this misconception, thanks for clarifying.

    why limit yourself with guidelines?
    haha, cuz i figure i'm still quite new at this so i gotta learn the rules before i can break 'em as some other laojiao here stated before? :P

    in any case, thanks for providing the links to illustrate your points, now i see the picture more clearly.

    my apologies for not noticing that you're done something to the clouds in the black-and-white version. i see where you're coming from now.

    will take note of your pointers and try putting more thoughts into my future pictures instead of just doing things the rigid, standard way. thank you!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    92

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    I really love this picture. Wonderful composition (would have preferred a bit higher composition though). Nevertheless, it is great. The colours are pleasant and nice. A bit more exposure on the left would be better. The left portion looks a bit dark (probably my monitor). I would hang this on my wall.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    thank you very much for appreciating the picture. your positive remarks will push me to go on further!

    that said however, with all due respect, i do concede that there are certain issues that night86mare has mentioned, so i'll be sure to incorporate his remarks into my future works so that you'll be hanging pictures more worthy of your wall.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    Personally I prefer the colour version also, but the sepia one does make the blown out parts look better. A beautiful photo regardless of rules

    Though, is it just my eyes playing tricks on me or is this 2 photos joined? I get the impression that there's a very slight line about two-thirds to the right.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    thank you! haha, this was stitched together from three photographs. my powershot a570is has a range of 35-140mm (equiv), so i couldn't really capture the whole landscape in one shot. i'm trying to get the most out of my powershot a570is, hahaha. i've even installed the CHDK "mod" for the cam to provide bracketing and RAW functions but i've yet to really test it out to see if it's really RAW. =/

    i still can't see the line, haha, guess my eye for fine details aren't that good. i'll look at it when i get back home, the monitor of my work computer is crap. :-P

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    92

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    Any reason why you did not take another frame to the right. Seems to me there was more to the right. That would have enhanced your panorama even more.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    Quote Originally Posted by blackpearl View Post
    Any reason why you did not take another frame to the right. Seems to me there was more to the right. That would have enhanced your panorama even more.
    Personally, stitching one more to the right would mean a lot of space on the right of the frame. Think it'll feel imbalanced if that one more frame was added in. It looks quite balanced now.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    Further to the right were rocks that formed a "cliff", as such:



    Framing them in would mean the water portion of the shot would be "cradled" in a U shape such that there's land on the left and a cliff on the right.

    Thanks to both for the review!

    This one was just cropped and downsized, no pp, so you can see the original colour...
    Last edited by refraXion; 10th May 2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Fixed the image link

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    92

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Personally, stitching one more to the right would mean a lot of space on the right of the frame. Think it'll feel imbalanced if that one more frame was added in. It looks quite balanced now.
    I guess, since the sea was cutoff from the right, I get the "there is something more and I want see the entire vista of the scenery" feeling.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    92

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    Quote Originally Posted by refraXion View Post
    Further to the right were rocks that formed a "cliff", as such:

    Framing them in would mean the water portion of the shot would be "cradled" in a U shape such that there's land on the left and a cliff on the right.

    Thanks to both for the review!

    This one was just cropped and downsized, no pp, so you can see the original colour...
    Got it. btw, Just curious, Did you try the panaroma with the next frame on before you decided on this one?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    Unfortunately no. There and then I'd decided that's how I was going to frame it. Since shooting digital is free, I should've just shot it anyway to experiment, but sad to say, no I didn't do that.

  16. #16
    Member/Tangshooter g-khoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Under your Blanket
    Posts
    2,027

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    Quote Originally Posted by AlteredVision View Post
    Personally I prefer the colour version also, but the sepia one does make the blown out parts look better..
    second that opinion.

    The pano looks really good here. Hmm did you shoot raw or JPEG? if you did raw, perhaps you can still salvage the clouds for the color version.

    Just convert a -1 EV to expose for the clouds and then mask the layer in PS.

    You can also try multiply + burning a little.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    Thank you for the tips!

    I shot in JPEG. Haha, I'm still new to this, but I'm going to make RAW the next thing I'm going to learn! Sounds like a whole new world of possibilities. Maybe Shadow/Highlights function would help? Not as good as RAW but perhaps it could salvage it a little? I'll give it a go when I get home from work and see if it's anything good enough to be posted.
    Last edited by refraXion; 12th May 2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Typo

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Hualien Coastline

    Are the clouds better in this one? Just to test out the salvaging part; I concede that the Selection of the clouds portion could have been done better.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •