Thread: Grey spot on pic

Default Grey spot on pic

Need help guys.

I recently bought a Nikon D80 with 18-200VR and brought it for my trip in taiwan.

After i return did i reliase that all my pics has a small grey spot on the top middle of the picture.Tried changing to my 50mm len and still the same.So i think its not dust in the len.

Have used the blower to blow the mirror of the body but still the same.How can i clear the spot?

Default Re: Grey spot on pic

you got dust on the sensor....
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

The dust is on your sensor not the mirror. If your cam is still under warranty just send it back to the service centre. Otherwise, you can clean it yourself but risking the sensor being scratch if you do not know how to do it properly.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    The dust is on your sensor not the mirror. If your cam is still under warranty just send it back to the service centre. Otherwise, you can clean it yourself but risking the sensor being scratch if you do not know how to do it properly.
    Its still under warranty but was thinking to try to clear it myself first.If really cant then i send it back to NSC.Any website to show the proper cleaning of the sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by jerry2308 View Post
    Its still under warranty but was thinking to try to clear it myself first.If really cant then i send it back to NSC.Any website to show the proper cleaning of the sensor?
    You will have to lift the mirror to access the sensor. Some cameras have that function not sure if yours have that. Then got to get those sensor cleaning swab to clean it. You can get the swabs from most major camera shops. But when cleaning teh sensor yourself, be careful not to scratch it.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

I would suggest to let the service center do it cause the last time I tried to clean myself, it ended up with more dust.

read the manual on how to do mirror lock up,
    activate with the opening facing down,
    ensure you have a pump to blow the dust
    blow the sensor with the pump
    release the mirror lock up by pressing the shutter release.
    take another shot, problem persist?, go to service centre.

well to lift the mirror up simply put your camera to manual mode and then set the shutter speed to bulb. Hold your shutter release button by hand. If not use the shutter release cable and lock it there. Then you can use a blower to try blow the dust out. If the spot still stays there, it's most likely more than dust, perhaps just a tiny stain. For that, I would use a soft cotton bud. (Disclaimer: That's what I use and it works for me because I once spent close to $30 to remove that dot. And it works for me.)

Have fun. =D