Thread: Any precautions to take when changing lens on deck of a cruise ship

Question Any precautions to take when changing lens on deck of a cruise ship

Hi...

Just wondering if there are any precautions to take when changing lens on the deck of a cruise ship?? Is the sea breeze damaging to the lens interior or the camera body interior?

also, will the use of a tripod on the deck of the cruise ship be useless?

thanks!!
    G

Default Re: Any precautions to take when changing lens on deck of a cruise ship

Salt sprays are super corrosive...

Just turn away from the wind and the direction the ship is moving.. use your body to shield..

And dun drop the lens...

Tripod? Depends... if the ship is rolling and pitching, then no point using a tripod right...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

yes beware of ur equipment falling into the water!!! haha

Is it really necessary to change ur lens on deck? cos there is no place u can put ur lens also... why not u change in the cabin b4hand then come out? safer tis way too...
    ;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    Hi...

Just wondering if there are any precautions to take when changing lens on the deck of a cruise ship?? Is the sea breeze damaging to the lens interior or the camera body interior?

also, will the use of a tripod on the deck of the cruise ship be useless?

thanks!!
    As long as the sea is calm there is not danger for your lens and the camera. Changed my lenses a few times during the cruise, no issue at all. Also, nothing unusual at the filters which means at the upper deck there are no droplets from the sea. Not sure about the lower decks midships and after. Just take the usual precautions: don't let the wind blow into the cam.
    I used the tripod also. Works fine for everything that is at the ship and therefore moves in the same way as your cam. For everything outside the ship or at horizon you might have difficulties, depending on waves and ship movements.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Salt sprays are super corrosive...

Just turn away from the wind and the direction the ship is moving.. use your body to shield..

And dun drop the lens...

Tripod? Depends... if the ship is rolling and pitching, then no point using a tripod right...
    mmm.... ok..never thought of that...can use my body as a shield....

as for dun drop the lens.....i prb wun risk changing lens when the ship is rolling and pitching mightily....haha...

Quote Originally Posted by sunboi80 View Post
    yes beware of ur equipment falling into the water!!! haha

Is it really necessary to change ur lens on deck? cos there is no place u can put ur lens also... why not u change in the cabin b4hand then come out? safer tis way too...
    i prefer to change in the cabin too but i must prepare for times when i need to change lens on deck and no time to go cabin.....

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    As long as the sea is calm there is not danger for your lens and the camera. Changed my lenses a few times during the cruise, no issue at all. Also, nothing unusual at the filters which means at the upper deck there are no droplets from the sea. Not sure about the lower decks midships and after. Just take the usual precautions: don't let the wind blow into the cam.
    I used the tripod also. Works fine for everything that is at the ship and therefore moves in the same way as your cam. For everything outside the ship or at horizon you might have difficulties, depending on waves and ship movements.
    mmmm....sounds comforting. i was thinking of using the tripod for sunset or sunrise.....so hopefully the ship dun rock so much....haha
    G

You might consider getting a beltpack and changing lenses over it, just in case you slip and drop a lens. It will drop into the beltpack, which acts as a safety net. You can either try this or this. Think Tank beltpacks are more secure and more comfortable to use than any Lowepro beltpack I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    You might consider getting a beltpack and changing lenses over it, just in case you slip and drop a lens. It will drop into the beltpack, which acts as a safety net. You can either try this or this. Think Tank beltpacks are more secure and more comfortable to use than any Lowepro beltpack I've tried.
    sounds like a good idea.....
    G