Thread: PL or ND

Default PL or ND

Hi,
    understand both PL and ND filters are for different purpose. I like to ask season veterna here, what are the more commonly used filter when shooting scenery/landscape? PL or ND?

I notice at times I need more blue sky, at times need to avoid reflection from glass and water. - PL

At times need to reduce exposure of selective area by some fstop. - ND

But due to my limited shooting exposure, dont quite know which filter would be more commonly used, generally...

Advice and sharing of experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: PL or ND

Quote Originally Posted by CT 3833 View Post
    Hi,
    understand both PL and ND filters are for different purpose. I like to ask season veterna here, what are the more commonly used filter when shooting scenery/landscape? PL or ND?

I notice at times I need more blue sky, at times need to avoid reflection from glass and water. - PL

At times need to reduce exposure of selective area by some fstop. - ND

But due to my limited shooting exposure, dont quite know which filter would be more commonly used, generally...

Advice and sharing of experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Like you said, each of these filters is used for a different purpose. While a polariser will slow your exposure a bit (~1.5 - 2 stops) it is not as effective for this as an ND or GND filter. ND filters are particularly good in situations where you need a slower shutter speed (eg. flowing water). GND filters are excellent for sunsets and other situations where you may not want under exposed foreground or a blown out sky.

Polarisers have the advantage of being able to take the "sheen" off objects (I very frequently use them to shoot leaves or flowers), or for making clouds "pop" out of the sky by giving a good deal more contrast. I usually carry both a CPL and and a ND filter with me because they both can give very different effects in the same composition. It's really up to your preference and what it is that you want to show in you image.
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

I only own a CPL filter, and that works well.

Here's an old image with my CPL. Clouds really do pop.

Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Thanks Churchwolf and Headshotzx for your input. Looks like I have to spend some money in the coming weekend to buy happiness.