Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Any clever one out there??

  1. #1

    Default Any clever one out there??

    Media generates income and profit through its advertisers.



    Media is accountable to the advertising agencies and must adhere to the demands and wishes of their clients.



    What do you think will happen if media is controlled by capitalist industries?



    How does this affect the working class and the (general) public?








    Dont know what it means
    Any kind souls to help me understand the question? Best is just answer directly

  2. #2

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Dunno, but is "Media is accountable to the advertising agencies and must adhere to the demands and wishes of their clients"?

    Sounds strange leh. At least strange where SG media is concerned.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by Melody-Love View Post
    Media generates income and profit through its advertisers.

    Media is accountable to the advertising agencies and must adhere to the demands and wishes of their clients.

    What do you think will happen if media is controlled by capitalist industries?

    How does this affect the working class and the (general) public?
    the mass media derives its primary income not from tv licenses or radio licenses - the main revenue comes from advertisements, i.e. product makers and companies pay money to display their advertisements in the newspaper, on the radio, on the tv, in the movies.

    at the same time, the media has a sort of unwritten responsibility to report events faithfully, but you can see how this could potentially affect this faithful reporting of news due to the financial connection. this duality of the media - the source of its revenue affecting its "fair coverage" is what is being described up there, i suspect.

    for example, if a newspaper just got a contract to splash sony advertisments every monday full page spread - how do you think the newspaper AND sony would look if somewhere in the papers, the newspaper reviewer gave a negative review of the product that was being advertised in the news? similarly, the sony group could pressure the newspaper into reporting more on sony, less on competitors - "i pay you good money, you better run this, or i'll take my business elsewhere".

    there are more extreme examples that i'm sure you could think of, involving news, products and various members with high positions in capitalist companies. incidents have happened before, after all.

    how will it affect the general public when there are such happenings?

    well, many ways, first and foremost - a skewed perception of reality.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the mass media derives its primary income not from tv licenses or radio licenses - the main revenue comes from advertisements, i.e. product makers and companies pay money to display their advertisements in the newspaper, on the radio, on the tv, in the movies.

    at the same time, the media has a sort of unwritten responsibility to report events faithfully, but you can see how this could potentially affect this faithful reporting of news due to the financial connection. this duality of the media - the source of its revenue affecting its "fair coverage" is what is being described up there, i suspect.

    for example, if a newspaper just got a contract to splash sony advertisments every monday full page spread - how do you think the newspaper AND sony would look if somewhere in the papers, the newspaper reviewer gave a negative review of the product that was being advertised in the news? similarly, the sony group could pressure the newspaper into reporting more on sony, less on competitors - "i pay you good money, you better run this, or i'll take my business elsewhere".

    there are more extreme examples that i'm sure you could think of, involving news, products and various members with high positions in capitalist companies. incidents have happened before, after all.

    how will it affect the general public when there are such happenings?

    well, many ways, first and foremost - a skewed perception of reality.
    With this I think we've found The Clever One.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the mass media derives its primary income not from tv licenses or radio licenses - the main revenue comes from advertisements, i.e. product makers and companies pay money to display their advertisements in the newspaper, on the radio, on the tv, in the movies.

    at the same time, the media has a sort of unwritten responsibility to report events faithfully, but you can see how this could potentially affect this faithful reporting of news due to the financial connection. this duality of the media - the source of its revenue affecting its "fair coverage" is what is being described up there, i suspect.

    for example, if a newspaper just got a contract to splash sony advertisments every monday full page spread - how do you think the newspaper AND sony would look if somewhere in the papers, the newspaper reviewer gave a negative review of the product that was being advertised in the news? similarly, the sony group could pressure the newspaper into reporting more on sony, less on competitors - "i pay you good money, you better run this, or i'll take my business elsewhere".

    there are more extreme examples that i'm sure you could think of, involving news, products and various members with high positions in capitalist companies. incidents have happened before, after all.

    how will it affect the general public when there are such happenings?

    well, many ways, first and foremost - a skewed perception of reality.
    .

    The thing is that media is supposed to be unbiased in its report so that the general public can draw its conclusion. So, if they only report a part of the news, the public will be misinformed and will make a wrong judgement on the issues at hand. This is similiar to the case of propaganda. The media ideally do not make any judgement, but let the reader draw its own conclusion.

    A simple case would be the report of environmental concerns. The capitalist in their manufacturing could use certain chemicals which is detrimental to the environment or carcinogenic to the public. By control of the media and removing any news on the adverse effects of such chemicals, there will be no action to legislate or call by the public to stop using such products.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    .

    The thing is that media is supposed to be unbiased in its report so that the general public can draw its conclusion. So, if they only report a part of the news, the public will be misinformed and will make a wrong judgement on the issues at hand. This is similiar to the case of propaganda. The media ideally do not make any judgement, but let the reader draw its own conclusion.

    A simple case would be the report of environmental concerns. The capitalist in their manufacturing could use certain chemicals which is detrimental to the environment or carcinogenic to the public. By control of the media and removing any news on the adverse effects of such chemicals, there will be no action to legislate or call by the public to stop using such products.
    but without the capitalist, government censorship alone on the media alone gives rise to much biasness itself already. by censorship means the lack of freedom of speech through media. and so once again is bias, towards upholding morality for eg against homosexuality.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    but without the capitalist, government censorship alone on the media alone gives rise to much biasness itself already. by censorship means the lack of freedom of speech through media. and so once again is bias, towards upholding morality for eg against homosexuality.
    well it isn't a special case anywhere, to be frank.

    the same applies everywhere, the freedom of the press is simply a little flag to wave when you want to do something; but the truth is there is no freedom - unless you happen to be bill gate's son who wants to start a paper, and even then, you bet you'd try to twist it to your own way. everybody has to answer to somebody eventually.

    there is possibly only freedom in a situation where one writes his own newspaper for himself and himself alone.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    The thing is that media is supposed to be unbiased in its report so that the general public can draw its conclusion. So, if they only report a part of the news, the public will be misinformed and will make a wrong judgement on the issues at hand. This is similiar to the case of propaganda. The media ideally do not make any judgement, but let the reader draw its own conclusion.
    heh, well, no media i've seen can ever do that. if not news would be boring, same goes for world affairs magazine reports - how would you like it if you opened TIME and it comprised of short reports like:

    man, 40 died today. shot by gun. died because of internal bleeding at xxx time xxx date.
    40 killed in iraq. missile hit building.

    neutrality of the news is a very iffy ground ; i do maintain that what people seek to achieve, when they are realistic, is relative neutrality. i.e. you do show a certain side of bias, but you don't warp reality. for example, if you're partial to america's decision to invade iraq, you still report what's going on there, but you show pictures of americans hugging joyous iraqis.. etc. the number of ways where neutrality crumbles is countless.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    heh, well, no media i've seen can ever do that. if not news would be boring, same goes for world affairs magazine reports - how would you like it if you opened TIME and it comprised of short reports like:

    man, 40 died today. shot by gun. died because of internal bleeding at xxx time xxx date.
    40 killed in iraq. missile hit building.

    neutrality of the news is a very iffy ground ; i do maintain that what people seek to achieve, when they are realistic, is relative neutrality. i.e. you do show a certain side of bias, but you don't warp reality. for example, if you're partial to america's decision to invade iraq, you still report what's going on there, but you show pictures of americans hugging joyous iraqis.. etc. the number of ways where neutrality crumbles is countless.
    Reporters are human after all....
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  10. #10

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    well, most media companies still need to think about income.

    I was watching this clip on youtube about how a new network pulled the plug on a report after one of the MNCs threatened to withdraw their advertising.

    so much for independent news reporting.

    here's the clip.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=trWcqxrQgcc

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woody Land
    Posts
    1,743

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by Melody-Love View Post
    Media generates income and profit through its advertisers.



    Media is accountable to the advertising agencies and must adhere to the demands and wishes of their clients.



    What do you think will happen if media is controlled by capitalist industries?



    How does this affect the working class and the (general) public?








    Dont know what it means
    Any kind souls to help me understand the question? Best is just answer directly
    You are the clever one by asking the members here to do your school homework
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

  12. #12

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    You are the clever one by asking the members here to do your school homework
    hahahah ... ooopsss .. u let the cat out of the bag

  13. #13

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    You are the clever one by asking the members here to do your school homework
    was it THAT obvious? drat.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    hahahah ... ooopsss .. u let the cat out of the bag
    Razor - Kiang ju ho, Mai geh kiang...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    You are the clever one by asking the members here to do your school homework
    Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    hahahah ... ooopsss .. u let the cat out of the bag
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    was it THAT obvious? drat.



    Of course its obvious. But you can ask others to do your school homework, but if you don't understand, it doesn't matter even if you get top grades for someone else's work!
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  16. #16

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Never mind la ... i m sure melody-love knows what to do if she gets an "A" for her assignment ....

  17. #17

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post


    Of course its obvious. But you can ask others to do your school homework, but if you don't understand, it doesn't matter even if you get top grades for someone else's work!
    oh

    i really, really thought she was serious about discussing it, in the manner she put it down

  18. #18

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    Never mind la ... i m sure melody-love knows what to do if she gets an "A" for her assignment ....
    let me guess

    pm sion?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    Never mind la ... i m sure melody-love knows what to do if she gets an "A" for her assignment ....
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    oh

    i really, really thought she was serious about discussing it, in the manner she put it down
    She might do TFCD for you when you're back.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Any clever one out there??

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    She might do TFCD for you when you're back.
    oh dear

    i better go and buy a new camera quickly

    so that i can look like a gwc

    p.s. @ ts paiseh if you don't understand this inane banter, just some private joke. hurhur.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •