Thread: scanning slides

Default scanning slides

hi guys,

need some advice on scanning slides.. =)

what is the minimum dpi i should scan my slides to ensure optimum quality when blown up to 8R?

should i get a dedicated 35mm positive/negative scanner instead of a flat-bed one that features adapters to scan positives and negatives ( i'm currently looking at Canon 9900F and Epson 3200 photo)?

any other ways i to preserve my slides (from discoloring/ dust) before i get my hands on a scanner??

thanks thanks..

you want to achieve 300dpi for the photo, some advocate 360dpi. with a fuji frontier mahine, you can get away with 200-240dpi

optically, a dedicated 35mm positive/negative scanner is sharper than a flat bed. have been using a Nikon LS2000 for almost 3 years its still a very good scanner. i never had a flat bed because i dun need to scan any reflective document. and i keep my slides saftely in a dry cabin.

Now, don't get confused between scanning dpi and printing dpi. To print a photo with reasonable resolution on paper, the PRINTING resolution should be at least 300 dpi.

Now when SCANNING an image 8R printing, your objective is to scan with enough pixels to cover about 8 inch x 10 inches of space, that is, (8x300)x(10x300)= (2400)x(3000) pixels.

Thus, if you set your scanning resolution to create an image roughly about 2400x3000 pixels then you will be able to print a good image at 8x10 size.

A 35mm image is about 24mmx36mm. You convert that dimension to inches and then you can figure out what SCANNING resolution to set.

Ai ya...actually the bundled software will do all that for you lah...just set what your final output size you want and the software will automatically set the scanning resolution for you to achieve the required image size.

Epson 3200 is good!! I've got it!

Default Re: scanning slides

Originally posted by ling'er

should i get a dedicated 35mm positive/negative scanner instead of a flat-bed one that features adapters to scan positives and negatives ( i'm currently looking at Canon 9900F and Epson 3200 photo)?

any other ways i to preserve my slides (from discoloring/ dust) before i get my hands on a scanner??

thanks thanks..
    dedicated scanner will of coz be better but more expensive.

you can buy those transparent slide pocket from popular bookshop and throw them into your dry box .

Default Re: Re: scanning slides

Originally posted by ninelives
    dedicated scanner will of coz be better but more expensive.

you can buy those transparent slide pocket from popular bookshop and throw them into your dry box .
    Hi ninelives,

just to check with you... I've heard from friends that keeping slides or negatives in a dry cabinet will cause the emulsion layers on the slides/negative to dry up... and cause discoloration as a result.. so if i develop my slides to print the colours would be off....so is this true??

btw, i do not mount my slides...

transparent slide pocket from popular bookshop
    Serious ... which brand? How much? Are they the archival type?
    Thanx ...

Originally posted by eug
    Serious ... which brand? How much? Are they the archival type?
    Thanx ...

brand is sea king. yes , archival type. there are 2 types, one type is for coins, the other is for slides. buy the A8 .

lin'er , dunno how true it is leh. don't think so it is true lor.

just to check with you... I've heard from friends that keeping slides or negatives in a dry cabinet will cause the emulsion layers on the slides/negative to dry up... and cause discoloration as a result.. so if i develop my slides to print the colours would be off....so is this true??
    Shouldn't you be keeping the film in the fridge ... I think negatives are okay to keep in drybox ... but slides should go into the fridge ... have not experimented whether there will be color loss ... but films that you buy which were stored in a fridge ... shouldn't we continue to keep them in a cool place ...

Originally posted by eug
    Shouldn't you be keeping the film in the fridge ... I think negatives are okay to keep in drybox ... but slides should go into the fridge ... have not experimented whether there will be color loss ... but films that you buy which were stored in a fridge ... shouldn't we continue to keep them in a cool place ...
    Ah...I think we are talking about processed film here, not unexposed film. I don't think you should keep processed slides or negatives in the fridge, depending on how you pack it the moisture condensation in the container may destroy it. Unopened film containers for unexposed film serve as an airtight container to protect individual film cartridges so it is OK with that, but processed film, no-no, no fridge!

For long term storage of slides and negatives, a dry box is or an air con room is best. Colour dyes on photographic materials (negatives, slides, prints) are affected by three factors: exposure to light, humidity and temperature. Try to keep all three factors low and you should be able to preserve the colours within acceptable quality for 15 years or more. In Singapore we have another problem: fungus growing on your slides
    Lowering humidity can help with that.

yup...

all tips and pointers noted..
    thanks guys!! =)