Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Smrt Profit 150 Millions

Default Re: Smrt Profit 150 Millions

for 1, there isn't a good alternative to taking train as there's no other going the same way. trains can't be more differant mode of transport than it to boat or planes rite?

as population increases, the frequency of train service should also have increase in tendom. although lifts have been added, the increasingly packed trains are not accommodaing for pregnant women , wheelchair bound users, etc. do we expect them to use the cab exclusively?

on a positive note, new trains added does't come cheap. but this alone should not blind us to other more pressing concerns- to run our trains in as efficient & effective a way as possible.

w/ all the ranting, i hope no 1 here will jump tracks anytime soon....

When it comes to money, no, we can't make a difference. We're too dumb to think for ourselves and the government knows what's best for us.

Just accept it like a Singaporean and move on, like they always say, or migrate.
    Last edited by chongkm; 7th May 2008 at 05:42 PM.
    Olympus EM-1, 7-14/2.8, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, 17/1.8, 25/1.2, 60/2.8

i see a lot of people pushing forth this very inane logic called "because we don't have a choice"

everybody wants a choice. most want it for the sake of having a choice.

most actually have very viable reasons - but whether it is workable or not, at this stage is another matter altogether. you see - it is all very easy to say that hey, just get someone to start a company leh, provide competition leh. they are blind to the fact that competition isn't a one-size fits all solution - look at sim lim square camera shops. it is not an extreme example, there are many other "conglomerates" of retail outlets lumped together that use the same dirty tactics. yet sim lim square IS the place where the textbook perfect competition scenario should exist - a massive amount of shops clustered in the same area, providing consumer with the choice. in the textbook, they will seek to woo customers by lowering the price and upping service quality. and what happens instead? one thing i think we all have to acknowledge is that competition doesn't always bring good, unlike what you have been fed in human geography. a better sense of realism, and an addressing of the higher priority issues here is what will lead to a much more mature discussion.

not drumming on some silly american value that you saw on mtv.
    Last edited by night86mare; 7th May 2008 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chongkm View Post
    When it comes to money, no, we can't make a difference. We're too dumb to think for ourselves and the government knows what's best for us.

Just accept it like a Singaporean and move on, like they always say, or migrate.
    We can't accept defeat so easily can we?

There is another option but unfortunately it will fall on deaf ears for the majority every election season. A simple signal is enough actually to serve as a wakeup call.

But I'm not holding my breath...

Election? What election? It's a walkover in my GRC every election... The first elected president... who got to vote? Oh well...

SMRT for one is a 'public' transport. Truth is, most public transport systems in the world end up being liabilities to the country. Ok, so Singapore's doing great. SBS, SMRT are all listed... instead of being liabilities, they're turning in profits!!! But to who? Ever bump into any of them on the train?

Off-topic, read this article. Wow... I'm speechless... Can you think of anything in Singapore that is not a money-making machine?

I'm not holding my breathe too. I'm checking my bank account everyday and when I have enough, bye little red dot. :P
    Last edited by chongkm; 7th May 2008 at 09:48 PM.
    Olympus EM-1, 7-14/2.8, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, 17/1.8, 25/1.2, 60/2.8

Actually we are quite fortunate.
    Just watched the tv news on Myanmar storm damage.
    You read the other news of Myanmar national dying in truck trying to illegally get into Thailand just to make a living?

The ordinary folk in some other countries suffer a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    You read the other news of Myanmar national dying in truck trying to illegally get into Thailand just to make a living?

I thought we first class country mah? If we keep comparing ourselves to 3rd world countries we'll forever be fortunate

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

like bro takethree said, we are first class, or at least world-class, so how can u compare us with myanmar or other 3rd world/developing countries.... cannot like that ma...

Quote Originally Posted by takethree View Post
    We can't accept defeat so easily can we?

There is another option but unfortunately it will fall on deaf ears for the majority every election season. A simple signal is enough actually to serve as a wakeup call.

But I'm not holding my breath...
    Quote Originally Posted by takethree View Post
    I thought we first class country mah? If we keep comparing ourselves to 3rd world countries we'll forever be fortunate
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeowww View Post
    like bro takethree said, we are first class, or at least world-class, so how can u compare us with myanmar or other 3rd world/developing countries.... cannot like that ma...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ho
    Guys, one reminder, don't turn this into another pro or anti government thread. I have said many times and I will say this again.

Given the anonymous nick posting nature of online forum, CS is not the place for such discussion. And there's a GOOD reason for this. Online internet is not as "law-free" as some of you may think. I am not discouraging the freedom of having personal opinion but I hope everyone do learn and think how can a online post (especially those heated and irresponsible replies) impact oneself AND others (CS in this place).

Efforts and time have been spent in keeping this website available for photographers to share their pic/photos, tips, etc. The last thing we want to see is another email from the relevant authorities knocking on CS doors again.

I am not locking this thread up, but do steer clear of those sensitive topics that I have mentioned above.

Thanks
    Last edited by night86mare; 7th May 2008 at 10:52 PM.

A moderator wannabe?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    A moderator wannabe?
    reported again. i detest your stalking. leave me alone, will you? better to spend your time reading up on economics.
    Last edited by night86mare; 7th May 2008 at 11:48 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234