Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Extension tubes for macro

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    1,977

    Default Extension tubes for macro

    Hi Ppl,

    Anyone uses the above mentioned?Any recommendation for a budget extension tubes for macro photography?

    Thanks Ppl!
    In the eyes of the beholder!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Extension tubes for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by undergrd View Post
    Hi Ppl,

    Anyone uses the above mentioned?Any recommendation for a budget extension tubes for macro photography?

    Thanks Ppl!
    Try teleplus, it will maintain metering and AF.

    Brand new around S$190
    2nd hand around S$140-S$150

    I will recommend you getting a 2nd hand set in buy/sell section, there are not glass element, so don't need to worry some much as compare to lenses.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    1,977

    Default Re: Extension tubes for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Try teleplus, it will maintain metering and AF.

    Brand new around S$190
    2nd hand around S$140-S$150

    I will recommend you getting a 2nd hand set in buy/sell section, there are not glass element, so don't need to worry some much as compare to lenses.
    ok...thanks for the info...

    Is the teleplus from Kenko?
    In the eyes of the beholder!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Extension tubes for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by undergrd View Post
    ok...thanks for the info...

    Is the teleplus from Kenko?
    Yes, teleplus and triplus are from kenko.

    http://www.thkphoto.com/products/kenko/slrc-04.html

  5. #5
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Extension tubes for macro

    no lar, where got so expensive. a tele-plus 2x mc converter (7 elements) only $80-$90 for canon mount in buy and sell, how can a 25mm extension tube (ie no lens elements) cost more than that.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Extension tubes for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    no lar, where got so expensive. a tele-plus 2x mc converter (7 elements) only $80-$90 for canon mount in buy and sell, how can a 25mm extension tube (ie no lens elements) cost more than that.
    Maybe you misunderstood, the price is for extension tube set which i mention consist of 3 extension tube (12mm, 20mm & 36mm).

    For 25mm, brand new kenko 25mm extension tube will cost S$80 to S$90.

    Check the above link for detail.

    There are some other brand that are very cheap but don't have circuitry and mechanical coupling to maintain auto focus and TTL auto exposure.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    1,977

    Default Re: Extension tubes for macro

    checked thru the buy/sell section, not much ppl selling this extension tube...
    In the eyes of the beholder!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Extension tubes for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by undergrd View Post
    checked thru the buy/sell section, not much ppl selling this extension tube...
    If you don't need it urgently, just wait a while, it might appear there anytime.
    But you need it now, maybe there is an important outing this weekend, then consider buying new, the differences is S$40-S$50. Worth or not worth, it is up to individual.
    Last edited by Leong23; 6th May 2008 at 12:49 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Extension tubes for macro

    Just went around to ask the price kenko and teleplus.
    Kenko, at the penisular area selling about $130++
    Teleplus at the alan cost $190++
    When I compare both, they all seem the same to me. Wonder will there be a different. Maybe someone can enlighten
    http://maxheadroom.multiply.com/photos
    EOS 1 series since year 1997

  10. #10
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Extension tubes for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by maxheadroom View Post
    Just went around to ask the price kenko and teleplus.
    Kenko, at the penisular area selling about $130++
    Teleplus at the alan cost $190++
    When I compare both, they all seem the same to me. Wonder will there be a different. Maybe someone can enlighten
    Always saw Kenko Triplus and Kenko Teleplus ET, haven't saw Kendo ET before, so can't comments too much.

    But if it is the same having circuitry and mechanical coupling, you might want to get the cheaper one, since there are no glass element.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    1,977

    Default Re: Extension tubes for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    If you don't need it urgently, just wait a while, it might appear there anytime.
    But you need it now, maybe there is an important outing this weekend, then consider buying new, the differences is S$40-S$50. Worth or not worth, it is up to individual.
    Went to OP to ask abt the Kenko teleplus and they quoted me $190++. Guess I will look ard 1st and see how...

    Anyway, Thanks Leong23 for providing all the info needed.
    In the eyes of the beholder!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Extension tubes for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    no lar, where got so expensive. a tele-plus 2x mc converter (7 elements) only $80-$90 for canon mount in buy and sell, how can a 25mm extension tube (ie no lens elements) cost more than that.
    eh is the teleplus 2x MC good? does it fit the 50 f1.8? it received some thumbs up at the macro forums thoough.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Extension tubes for macro

    Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    eh is the teleplus 2x MC good? does it fit the 50 f1.8? it received some thumbs up at the macro forums thoough.
    Yes, it can fit to the 50f1.8.
    I now personally don't like it, and don't actually recommend it to my peers.
    But again it no harm giving it a try, it don't cost much.
    I had a vivitar MC during my student days, because no $$$ for macro lens, and that time, i quite like it.

    Results why i personally don't recommend is, if you are interested in macro and evenually get a macro lens, the MC7 will become a white elephant. As for reversed ring and extension tube, it is still useful even you had a macro lens.

    For MC7, can check out this sticky for detail.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255554

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •