Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How true is this....

Default Re: How true is this....

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Yes, last time when people don't anyhow call themself a photographer, but when they do, they really produce quality photos.

How about now? I don't know, but I think everyone have the answer.
    Now who want to call themselves photographers anymore?

Now people call themselves Digital Imaging Enhancing Operators.

some shoot purely X-rays, CT & for the previleged few... mugshots!

& best of all they never submitted (their works) for any competitions & won any prize...

Who cares what kind of pictures I take? I am just a photo taker and camera user
    My **flickr Album

anyway, at those days, even those Ah Pak sit in kopitiam talk all day long, showing off their Leica, Contax, Hasselblad or Rollei during photo outing day, also don't call themself photographer.

Nowadays, someone can tell me how to shoot a wedding......
    "May I know how many weddings you shot?" I ask.
    "Have not tried yet." replied.

I'm speechless.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by excelglsi View Post
    Heard from 1 of the Old timer Photographer... :" Last time there were very few photographers

but they are those with quality". But now is just the opposite. Got Lots of photographers but

not many can made it...
    You can blame the pretty girls in 'Workshops, Studio/Model Shoots' sub-forum for this.

Blog Entries

actually hor, last time got less ppl take photography as a hobby so got less ppl who can't make it
    now hor, got many many ppl take photography as a hobby, so also got more ppl who can't make it

last time also hor, if you donch know what happenes when you press the button, most likely your shots will be not nice one
    now hor, if you donch know what happens when you press the button, most likely you know how to PS it

And then you have the professionals that have fallen by the wayside in terms of quality to some hobbyist photographers.

The term photographer is what describes a person who is using a camera to either earn a living or carrying out a task for his or her own enjoyment, I guess.

Somewhere along the line, it's all semantics. And who really cares what you call yourself as long as your works back you up at every point of contention?
    Last edited by LazerLordz; 5th May 2008 at 06:56 PM.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

& nowadays people who go take photos w/ cam less than those who PS, talk about photography (count me in!) & never even press the shutter...

so nowadays the focus has shifted (pun intended!)...

Last time, people will hide those not so good photo and hopefully no one saw it.

Nowaday, people will proudly showcase those not so good photo are call it art.

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Last time, people will hide those not so good photo and hopefully no one saw it.

the call it Fine Art.

and they will call you an old fart for not understand their photos.

So that XMMs will PM them and beg for TFCD.

You don't know meh?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    & nowadays people who go take photos w/ cam less than those who PS, talk about photography (count me in!) & never even press the shutter...

so nowadays the focus has shifted (pun intended!)...
    Photography has become the Art of Cut & Paste in Photoshop?

We don't press the shutter anymore.

We press the mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    So that XMMs will PM them and beg for TFCD.

You don't know meh?
    Wah! After people saw this post, they will quickly brand themselves as Artistic Director.

last time wedding couples and their parents call photographers, shi fu please come here shi fu please go there.

nowadays wedding couples and their parents call photographers, cameraman you come here, cameraman you go there.

Quote Originally Posted by excelglsi View Post
    To be frank no... I got 2 DSLR n various of lenses, but I stil lose out to a friend tat using a D200 with a 18-70 n a 50f1.8. His photo can beat mi anytime.. Which I came to koe the way I shoot is wrong. Shoot like a few hundreds n hope to get a few good 1. From there I try to pay more attention about the exposure, Lighting, position of Sun, composition n F16 rule...

Trying film now, cant anyhow waste film.. Back to he basic.. Hope can learn from the beginning...
    Going back to film don't really help, it is the mindset.

Don't trigger happy.
    yes, that's right, it is all in the mindset,
    even with film, if you shoot like using a machine gun, also back to the square one, beside, if you shoot on negative, you will not know how terrible and horrible are you exposure and white balance setting was, unless you insist shooting on slide film.

with digital, just treat it you have no photoshop, and only have a 256MB card for you to shoot on jpg, don't use auto WB, don't use auto mode, plus do have any delete button on your camera, you can learn better..

I personally feels that it is cos of technology that has been improving that draw a line between the old timer and the new tech photographers.

Back in those days, photographers have to learn thru the hard way that they cant have a preview of their shots nor delete it to reshoot.Worse of all, they have to buy tonnes of films to shoot and try out.So from there they started to master the technique and skill thru the hard way.

As for now,we can shoot as much as we want and delete whenever we dun like.We can even view the shots that we have taken and see where when wrong and alter the settings.Best of all, we can even PS the pics to our liking.So for us,we master the technique and skill in a much easier way than the past.

Its just a different perception in learning that different groups view each other different.Anyway, who are good photographers and who are not is reali v subjective.Anyway, our main objective is to shoot good and nice pictures so why bother abt good and bad, just shoot and appreciate...

My personal 2 cents...
    In the eyes of the beholder!

last time, shoot 1 roll, hope to get one nice shot.

now, shoot 1 GB, hope to get one nice shot.

Quote Originally Posted by undergrd View Post
    I personally feels that it is cos of technology that has been improving that draw a line between the old timer and the new tech photographers.

Back in those days, photographers have to learn thru the hard way that they cant have a preview of their shots nor delete it to reshoot.Worse of all, they have to buy tonnes of films to shoot and try out.So from there they started to master the technique and skill thru the hard way.

As for now,we can shoot as much as we want and delete whenever we dun like.We can even view the shots that we have taken and see where when wrong and alter the settings.Best of all, we can even PS the pics to our liking.So for us,we master the technique and skill in a much easier way than the past.

Its just a different perception in learning that different groups view each other different.Anyway, who are good photographers and who are not is reali v subjective.Anyway, our main objective is to shoot good and nice pictures so why bother abt good and bad, just shoot and appreciate...

My personal 2 cents...
    I think you had misunderstood what we mean.

In digitial, i dare to experiment different technique, approach and lighting. I can preview it on the spot and do immeditate adjustment. I dare to push my limits, and learning curve is steeper. During post-process, some minor adjustment is done so easiler by just click the mouse in the comfort at home. This is sometime i can't do in film.

What we mean is that it this the mindset prior pressing the shutter, understand and know your setup, what you want the image to turn out. Not just tigger happy and hope for the best.

Sometime lucky sometime not, even the person had a excellent shot that day, he also don't know how he did it, because it is plain luck. Next day he had to start from square one again.

The different between pro and hobbyist is that pro had no room for mistake. They can't just press the shutter and hope of the best. Because for pro, there is a high price for mistake.

Photography is not very glamourous as many GWC and XMM think, it is hard work.

Deregistered

Thanks guys... I got the point.. indeed it hard work, will not trigger happy. Trying 1 shot 1 kill...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12