Thread: multiple exposure

Default multiple exposure

Hi all,
    Would like to know if the Canon 40D, 400D and 450D has multiple exposure function?
    Thanks...

Default Re: multiple exposure

not natively, ie. photoshop.. they don't have it as an in-camera function..

i think u meant auto-bracketing?

most dslr will have
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Alright thanks...

Read your manual. Look for terms such as "Bracketing", "Auto Exposure Bracketing", and/or "AEB".

yea my 400d has AEB up to difference of 2 stops

Quote Originally Posted by AsPiRiN92 View Post
    yea my 400d has AEB up to difference of 2 stops
    I'm going to ask a silly question.... how do you make use of it and under what circumstances do you use it?

you use it when you're not sure if the exposure settings are good or not.. what it does is to take a few photos with different EVs.. saves you the trouble of performing exposure compensations manually.. you can then decide which ones you want to keep.. it is also useful for creating HDR images..
    Sony ɑ55V || Sony 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 || Minolta 28mm F2.8 || Minolta 50mm F1.4 || Minolta 70-210mm F4

I know that we can use photoshop to combine a few photos together with different exposure settings but photoshop is exp
    anyone got any recommendation for others cheap or free software to do it?

Can any camera in the market do the combine of photos by itself after the photos are taken?

Quote Originally Posted by sytan81 View Post
    you use it when you're not sure if the exposure settings are good or not.. what it does is to take a few photos with different EVs.. saves you the trouble of performing exposure compensations manually.. you can then decide which ones you want to keep.. it is also useful for creating HDR images..
    can we skip this step if we are taking in RAW mode? since we can change the exposure later on..

I think TS is asking about the Multiple Exposure function which automatically merged 3 shots (need not be of different exposure, so nothing to do with bracketing) to produce a single shot. This kinda comes in handy for creative effects. And of course, you can use PS to do it.

Just 1 Example here

You can do rotary effect with it too.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulXion View Post
    I know that we can use photoshop to combine a few photos together with different exposure settings but photoshop is exp
    anyone got any recommendation for others cheap or free software to do it?

Can any camera in the market do the combine of photos by itself after the photos are taken?
    D80 has this function. I am not sure about the rest. Only troublesome thing, once you set it, and after the 3-5 shots, you need to set again in menu for your next round.
    Last edited by Yapster; 9th May 2008 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    D80 has this function. I am not sure about the rest. Only troublesome thing, once you set it, and after the 3-5 shots, you need to set again in menu for your next round.
    I only tried this once. Have to shoot in raw mode. Jpeg not supported.

don't worry its not a stupid qn

i'm not sure what other uses it has either, but i use it to get different exposures for generating HDR images for sunrise/sunsets, and also to get even exposures for various elements in a photo. you can set the AEB to +2 and -2, or +1 and -1, and then take 3 shots simultaneously. it will give you the 3 different exposures without you having to manually adjust your shutter/iso/aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by n0eln0el View Post
    can we skip this step if we are taking in RAW mode? since we can change the exposure later on..
    you mean for HDR images?

Not really. Your RAW file contains data captured by the sensors for only one exposure. The total dynamic range you can reconstruct from one photo converted with different exposure settings can never be more than the dynamic range captured by your camera, and this is rather limited.

When you are using only one exposure to capture the scene, your RAW file is already your HDR image.

Converting the RAW file to images with different exposure levels is a bit like slicing the dynamic range of the RAW into several parts. Combining the parts back into an HDR image will at best re-produce the dynamic range of the initial RAW file.

That said, if you are using a good RAW converter to derive fake exposures from a single RAW file, you will probably notice that the HDR image created from the fake exposures shows more dynamic range than the pseudo-HDR image obtained by converting the single RAW file directly. This is because your RAW converter includes a good noise reduction function, and this has an important effect on the dynamic range. You RAW converter may also include the ability to continue to retrieve highlights details when one or two of the color channels have already reached saturation.

So, a good RAW converter includes functions designed to optimize the dynamic range retrieved from the raw sensor data, but this does not change the fact that the dynamic range of a RAW file is limited to one exposure only. Unless the dynamic range of your scene is low, you will need to take more than one exposure to create an HDR image of the scene.

Source
    Sony ɑ55V || Sony 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 || Minolta 28mm F2.8 || Minolta 50mm F1.4 || Minolta 70-210mm F4

Quote Originally Posted by AsPiRiN92 View Post
    don't worry its not a stupid qn

i'm not sure what other uses it has either, but i use it to get different exposures for generating HDR images for sunrise/sunsets, and also to get even exposures for various elements in a photo. you can set the AEB to +2 and -2, or +1 and -1, and then take 3 shots simultaneously. it will give you the 3 different exposures without you having to manually adjust your shutter/iso/aperture.
    Thank you... that was very helpful.... i actually spent quite abit of time doing the manual adjustment during my last Phuket trip and ended with not many sunset photos....... !

Definitely something I will try next time i take sunrise/sunset!