Thread: National Day Rehersal: Something i saw today disturbed me.

Default National Day Rehersal: Something i saw today disturbed me.

Something i saw today disturbed me.

I took a walk with my camera round the National Stadium this evening, hoping to catch a glimpse of the parade as well as to soak in the atmosphere. And i enjoyed myself thoroughly. Seeing many (sars-free) happy faces sacrificing their weekend(s) to make a difference really touched me. It's going to be one heck of a party on the 9th of August.

Do attend it if you can.

There were other fellow photographers who were also present, i was not alone. Which was a good surprise. I enjoy company. But what bothered me was the approach they took to take their shots.

Let me site a few examples.
    1) When the national athem was playing, everyone stood up and sang. I put my camera down, stood still and sang. It's been a long time since i felt proud to be a Singaporean once again - bittersweet memories of my educational childhood came swaming back to me. Looking at the folks around me, I glowed. People everywhere were on their feet and singing.. except for one small group. My fellow photographers.

A half dozen of them were all over the marching contingents, on the pitch, in the faces of those standing in parade, walking around, squatting down, talking shots, flashing away. And for a moment, i felt great disquiet in me.

Perhaps it's my personal philosophy to photography. That the environment must first be respected. Even if it means missing a coupla shots. And i personally felt that the gravity of the situation warrented some form of respectful contemplation - if not for the folks around you, at least for the country you live in.

2) They were all over the field during the parade - when the contingents were marching in, when the performances were being played out, planting themselves in the middle of the pitch were a platform was. Oblivous to the fact that they might be disturbing the rehersal. Oblivous to the possibility that the organisers are most probably rushing on a sars-afflicted schedule, and the last thing they need is any delay or disturbance. Some people's careers are one the line here.

It was quite an unsightly mess. Frankly, i'm surprised nobody stopped them. I left sicken soon after the national athem was sung, and for the first time in my life, a feeling a little embarrassed that i was carrying a camera.

You guys might have a different opinion on this. And i probably respect that. We just have different philosophies to photography - and perhaps to life.

You'll know who they are when you see their shots online.

Just so that i can get some sleep tonight.
    Roch

some are official photogs. part of their job to take photos, even during the anthem. somebody has to take the photos of VIPs singing for eg.

But for those who werent...... official, i hope they didnt intrude onto the tarpaulin and mess up the parade. I was at the stadium steps, enjoyed myself watching it. For a first combined rehearsal, it was....... very good. Though i notice, segments seem to be..... on the short side. Due to Sars perhaps? caused a lot of changes i bet. Then again, its only the first CR. Hope it gets better.

oh, on a minor note, security will be enhanced as rehearsals continue. Provost should be deployed by next rehearsal, or latest, in 2 weeks. Thats what usually happens.

Hi,
    May I know are the rehearsals held every Sat until the full dress rehearsal? What time does it start?

Originally posted by yeocolin
    Hi,
    May I know are the rehearsals held every Sat until the full dress rehearsal? What time does it start?
    Doubt u'll see full dress till....... till....... gee... 3 weeks from now.

do u mean after 3 weeks from now, I won't see full dress rehearsal? why?

oh, sorry, you meant rochkoh didn't see the full dress rehearsal, but rather just a rehearsal?

Nevermind, even not full dress rehearsal also has good photography moments. So, are rehearsals on for every Sat? What time does it start?

3 weeks
    hmm.....
    by that time the place will be fill with mani ppl
    photographer will be hanging ard that for quite some time....

Originally posted by hapop
    3 weeks
    hmm.....
    by that time the place will be fill with mani ppl
    photographer will be hanging ard that for quite some time....

no..... u wont even get in =)
    Provost will be deployed either next week or next next week. only pple with security passes get thru the gate.

Originally posted by yeocolin
    oh, sorry, you meant rochkoh didn't see the full dress rehearsal, but rather just a rehearsal?

Nevermind, even not full dress rehearsal also has good photography moments. So, are rehearsals on for every Sat? What time does it start?
    Its only the first rehearsal. Its like 30% complete. Everything will be changed week from week. Even preview will not exactly be the same as actual day.

i understand roch's feeling. if the photographers are not the official photographers :

a. they have no rights to be in the field disturbing the parade and the performances.

b. they are dis-respectful.

c. they have given an impression that the marshals are not doing their work.

not sure if today's rehearsal is considered a combined rehearsal, if so, marshals should be deployed to guide the participants and to stop the non-participants from causing disturbances.

the first full dress rehearsal would probably be during the NDCC vetting.

Default Re: National Day Rehersal: Something i saw today disturbed me.

To Everybody,

If Security are ENFORCE, the offical photographers are still abe to MOVE around in the field... but not the NON offical photographers.
    u have to get the message clear, OFFICIAL photographers job is to COVER the event, from one corner to another.... not POINT and shoot to get pictures...

Photographers' JOB are not to STAND STILL and Sing athem with the rest of the people or using SUPER zoom lens from one corner to cover the event just to avoid people from "losing" their job... but to capture the "PRICLESS" moment when the performace are going on... ie, fly pass, live band and singer performing athem, patriot singing, performer showing their hard work to display the show... these pictures are to share with the rest of the people around who are ABLE/UNABLE to have a visual CLOSE up of these performance...

without photographers taking THESE "PRICLESS" shot, WHO SHOULD do all these??? NON S'porean because the athem is played??? RICH people to seat outside the field with SUPER ZOOM lens to zoom from corner to corner??

would u want to watch a NDP Live show on TV with camera man staying STILL just because the athem is played?? or just an over view of the stadium when the show is on just to avoid performers "losing" jobs?? by the way, performers are VOLUNTEERS, not PAID...

who should play the athem, the live band or the P.A system?? people are still moving, they HAVE TO MOVE to make these show goes....

Young photographers out there, u have to get the message "Moments are priceless".

photographers are to capture moments, sad or happy... if u seen a sad moment, and u put your camera down and feel sad, u are not ready for big event shoot...

pictures are to tells story... not to show beauty...

Anyway, during NDCC vetting, tickets will be GIVEN to families of participants ONLY... so, try to MIX around with the NDP'03 participants just to be the 1st to watch the full dress....
    Last edited by reignman77; 22nd June 2003 at 01:04 AM.