Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to take macro shot?

Originally posted by hwchoy
    yah the ruler don't look so good, done without flash so maybe handshake.

how do you calculate magnification? Is it the length of the subject divided by 36mm? So I can see the ruler is 56mm does it mean mag = 0.64?
    if 36mm (3.6cm) give 1:1 , 60mm (6cm) should approximate to 1:2 or (36mm/60mm) = 0.6x magnification
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Originally posted by megaweb
    if 36mm (3.6cm) give 1:1 , 60mm (6cm) should approximate to 1:2 or (36mm/60mm) = 0.6x magnification
    thanx megaweb. you know the good thing about fish macro vs insect macro (at least for those that sit still) is that I don't have to practice breathing control, etc just hold steady and snap, and hope for the best

I'm going to try a +4, still doesn't work maybe try the reverse lens method

Okie, I've a question....

When I ues a 50mm ext tude and a 50mm prime lens.. The magnification should be 1:1. But then how do you meter with a SLR camera? Even with flash on, how do you meter? Do you follow the camera metering or use your own judgement?

Cos I seem to be getting very funny readings with my metering. It becomes something like f/8 Shuttle speed a few mins? How come? Someone told me use a setting of f/8 to f/16 and shuttle speed of 1/60 and below. Is the true?

Originally posted by hwchoy
    I'm going to try a +4, still doesn't work maybe try the reverse lens method
    Yes , try is the best method ..

Originally posted by Kira
    Okie, I've a question....

When I ues a 50mm ext tude and a 50mm prime lens.. The magnification should be 1:1. But then how do you meter with a SLR camera? Even with flash on, how do you meter? Do you follow the camera metering or use your own judgement?

Cos I seem to be getting very funny readings with my metering. It becomes something like f/8 Shuttle speed a few mins? How come? Someone told me use a setting of f/8 to f/16 and shuttle speed of 1/60 and below. Is the true?
    If you are using SLR , u can get a lightmeter and use multiple flash setup. Just set your camera to manual mode with desire settings like 1/125 sec , f16. Test some shots with a lightmeter and compensate the flash to get the correct exposure.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Xiao liao.... No light meter how? Try flash at full blast?

So am I right to say that for Macro shoots, we can't trust the camera metering system?

If that's so then, I've to do some testing with my flash and setup liao.....

Thanks Megaweb...

Originally posted by Kira
    So am I right to say that for Macro shoots, we can't trust the camera metering system?
    NO. I always trust my camera metering to give the initial reading. After judging from the first shot, then I will adjust accordingly whether I need to compensate flash output or camera exposure.

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper
    NO. I always trust my camera metering to give the initial reading. After judging from the first shot, then I will adjust accordingly whether I need to compensate flash output or camera exposure.
    Okie.. Will try that with dfferent flash output....

Thanks Sgt. Pepper and Megaweb...

You guys are my inspiration...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123