Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: What lens range should i get?

  1. #1

    Default What lens range should i get?

    Hey, i have a canon 18-55mm lens and am planning to buy another lens. I use zoom on a reasonably high percentage. im considering between a 70-300mm (sigma). And a 28-250mm (tamron) The lazy part of me says the tamron as i won't have to change lens that ofter, but quality and focus wise, the 70-300 is better. What would you pros do?
    thanks! (:

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewant View Post
    Hey, i have a canon 18-55mm lens and am planning to buy another lens. I use zoom on a reasonably high percentage. im considering between a 70-300mm (sigma). And a 28-250mm (tamron) The lazy part of me says the tamron as i won't have to change lens that ofter, but quality and focus wise, the 70-300 is better. What would you pros do?
    thanks! (:
    The Tamron one u're referring to should be 18-250. Do remember this, the more zoom, the more that image quality will be compromised. If i really want just a lens to cover most of the ranges without having to change it, i'll just take the Tamron 18-250 for a 1.6x body or the 28-300 VC for FF body for budget spending.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  3. #3
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewant View Post
    Hey, i have a canon 18-55mm lens and am planning to buy another lens. I use zoom on a reasonably high percentage. im considering between a 70-300mm (sigma). And a 28-250mm (tamron) The lazy part of me says the tamron as i won't have to change lens that ofter, but quality and focus wise, the 70-300 is better. What would you pros do?
    thanks! (:
    Not a pro and never used either, but i am interested to know if the IQ difference that visible ? Ryan

  4. #4

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    The Tamron one u're referring to should be 18-250. Do remember this, the more zoom, the more that image quality will be compromised. If i really want just a lens to cover most of the ranges without having to change it, i'll just take the Tamron 18-250 for a 1.6x body or the 28-300 VC for FF body for budget spending.
    18-250 is a good walkaround lens though. Especially recommended for travel.

  5. #5

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    thanks for all your replies guys!
    well the upside of getting a 70-300 is better quality, and cheaper. downside, gotta change lens.
    Upside of 18-250, dont have to change lens. Downside, expensive and quality isnt that good.

    ill think about it, thanks anw guys!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by monktian View Post
    18-250 is a good walkaround lens though. Especially recommended for travel.
    The range is very gd for a cropped sensor body, but if one doesn't mind the image quality at the tele end.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    24-105mm is another good set of lens to get for focal range and if you have the $$
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    24-105mm is another good set of lens to get for focal range and if you have the $$
    Or the 28-300 L.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  9. #9

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewant View Post
    thanks for all your replies guys!
    well the upside of getting a 70-300 is better quality, and cheaper. downside, gotta change lens.
    Upside of 18-250, dont have to change lens. Downside, expensive and quality isnt that good.

    ill think about it, thanks anw guys!
    How often do you change lens when travelling? Is it safe to do that? Pardon me for asking because I am quite paranoid when it comes to dust.

    Is there any tactics or tips to observe when changing lens out in the open?

  10. #10

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    thanks for all the replies again! but how much does the 24-105mm cost? and the28-300L

    Monktian: I'm using a 40D, so my sensor "cleans by itself" in terms of dust specs. As for the lens, i usually uncap the attachment part in my bag and face it down when attaching.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewant View Post
    thanks for all the replies again! but how much does the 24-105mm cost? and the28-300L

    Monktian: I'm using a 40D, so my sensor "cleans by itself" in terms of dust specs. As for the lens, i usually uncap the attachment part in my bag and face it down when attaching.
    The 24-105 is around $1.6K and the 28-300 around $3.2K.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #12

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    For the price of the 28-300, you can actually get a 70-200mm F4 IS plus a 10-22mm plus cash left over. Both these lenses have really good IQ.

    However, my suggestion goes against your aim of having a "lens to cover all the range", so please ignore if it its not suitable.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    For the price of the 28-300, you can actually get a 70-200mm F4 IS plus a 10-22mm plus cash left over. Both these lenses have really good IQ.

    However, my suggestion goes against your aim of having a "lens to cover all the range", so please ignore if it its not suitable.
    Yes u get flexibility but compromise on image quality.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    i'd get the 70-200. the tamron takes too long to focus and quality isn't too impressive either

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Yio Chu Kang
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    For the casual photographer, I believe that the 18-250mm is the most suitable. Very good reviews have been mentioned about the sharpness and quality (I refer to the Sony A-mount). While it may not be very sharp on larger apertures, it does so if you go 1 or 2 stops down. And since I take mainly landscape and portraits with still subjects, I find no issues going down to f8-11. For night shots, I use a tripod or flash or my cheap F2.8.

    If you are gonna use a lot of zoom, you shld be using tripods as well (no matter what lens you get). Incidentally, this will let you stop down on the 18-250mm for better sharpness and image quality that would not differ much from the 70-300mm.

    The best way is to go test out both lenses and compare their image qualities. For the casual photographer like myself, the difference don't matter much. In this case, I'd choose more convenience (in terms of lens changing and the overall weight) over minute improvements in quality.
    Sony ɑ55V || Sony 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 || Minolta 28mm F2.8 || Minolta 50mm F1.4 || Minolta 70-210mm F4

  16. #16
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewant View Post
    Hey, i have a canon 18-55mm lens and am planning to buy another lens. I use zoom on a reasonably high percentage. im considering between a 70-300mm (sigma). And a 28-250mm (tamron) The lazy part of me says the tamron as i won't have to change lens that ofter, but quality and focus wise, the 70-300 is better. What would you pros do?
    thanks! (:
    My personal preference would be the Sigma 70-300mm. Sharp lens, not too heavy and also very affordable. Used to own one but sold it away cos I dun utilize that zoom range often. Besides you already have a 18-55mm, why duplicate that range? Unless you are concerned about lugging too much equipment around then the Tamrom 18-250 would be a better choice.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  17. #17
    Deregistered fabianaino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orchard
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    here'some photos of the tarmon 18-250mm.
    From the post above it seems like the lens is quite poor in IQ but here's some pictures that some photographers took using the lens =)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sophies...on18250mmf456/


    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23556897@N03/page2/



  18. #18

    Talking Re: What lens range should i get?

    hey everyone! sorry i can't address your suggestions and comments one by one. I read through all of them and they were ALL very useful (: thanks loads guys! and one girl.
    I've decided to get the 70-200L lens. really good quality.

    cheers! (:

  19. #19
    Deregistered fabianaino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orchard
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: What lens range should i get?

    get the IS version ... it will comes in very handy for the price that you pay

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •