Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rise of the radioactive hdrs

Default Re: rise of the radioactive hdrs

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    but i safely assumed that the reason why composition is lacking is that the artificiality of colors and the flattening of the tonal contrast distribution masked and confused one's ability to judge composition, becos composition is not just about placement of forms, but also placement of colors and tones.

and something not of assumption but rather more of a judgement, is that the current trend strayed away from the intended effect of HDR, which is to override the sensor's insensitivity and more accurately approximate the eye's compensation to exposure. such HDR techniques comes with certain digital defects. and i'm not sure if such users truely like the incidental digital defects and pushed it to the extremes or that they lack the eye to pick up the defects and persisted with it in order to preserve certain attributes. my personal experience is that, now i look at my work done 2 years ago, i can see what my eyes fail to pick up at that time which i now can, but i'm not sure if that can be applied on the others.
    well certainly you won't be able to see the level of cloud detail that is present in some of those overdone hdrs. nor the grittiness of the ground. the extreme detail, as i told someone once - i think it was wildstallion.. could prove to be extremely distracting. there is too much to look at in the picture, too many disconcerting things that aren't present to the naked eye.. even if one ignores the clashing colors and tones, the amount of textures present in most overdone hdrs, along with the haphazard lighting such that highlights and shadows are thrown into mayhem.. in short.. very painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by chisiang View Post
    Those forums which I posted, almost 100% of the viewer expressed "Awe", "wow" or some welcoming expression. While on the other hand, those with "less dramatic" photos received lukewarm responds.

Preaching and whining about how the HDR trend should progress in a few photographic forums are not going to change how people choose to "paint" or develop their photographs, and certainly not with severe criticism of others' works.

As long as there's a HRD thread, you will be there preaching about your own standards of HDR. I think you should cease refrain from such acts immediately.
    i have no idea which forums you have been posting in, and no, i did not start this thread because of you. i started this thread because of extreme frustration with my flickr group , which was titled "Realistic HDRs". it started off great - with people posting quality work where a lot of time and effort had went in. then as time went on, pictures of radioactive dogs snuck in. i removed them from the pool, and the next day, i got 5 back from the same person.. which meant my work as an admin was multiplied. eventually i felt that i could not do my job as an admin - loads of members who are really into the "realistic hdr" thing sent me flickrmails with long rants about how people did not understand what realistic was.

well, i can't do anything about it and i didn't want to ban 70% of the group. so what did i do? i quitted the group. will probably build from scratch a new group which has more controlled membership.

btw, all of you reading this should check out realkuhl's "hdr work", i saw him posting in another forums, and i was wowed.

i guess some here are more than happy to embrace the concept that "it is better to be a lion for a day than sheep all of your life", for me, yes, i'd rather be a sheep that dreams of becoming a lion.

btw, i think it is quite ironic that you tell me not to preach my own hdr standards - i have not done so, and i am more than welcome to understand any reasons for wanting to process files in the radioactive hdr way. but so far, i am not sure what you have given - in summary i can only see that you say that you are "trying it out", and that "some people have said it is nice".. and you end off on a relatively high and awkward note that "severe criticism will not help things". i suppose you are also of the group where solid, blunt criticism is not welcome. i think it's sad - clubsnap should have more of that than candy comment handouts.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i have no idea which forums you have been posting in, and no, i did not start this thread because of you. i started this thread because of extreme frustration with my flickr group , which was titled "Realistic HDRs". it started off great - with people posting quality work where a lot of time and effort had went in. then as time went on, pictures of radioactive dogs snuck in. i removed them from the pool, and the next day, i got 5 back from the same person.. which meant my work as an admin was multiplied. eventually i felt that i could not do my job as an admin - loads of members who are really into the "realistic hdr" thing sent me flickrmails with long rants about how people did not understand what realistic was.

well, i can't do anything about it and i didn't want to ban 70% of the group. so what did i do? i quitted the group. will probably build from scratch a new group which has more controlled membership.

btw, all of you reading this should check out realkuhl's "hdr work", i saw him posting in another forums, and i was wowed.

i guess some here are more than happy to embrace the concept that "it is better to be a lion for a day than sheep all of your life", for me, yes, i'd rather be a sheep that dreams of becoming a lion.

btw, i think it is quite ironic that you tell me not to preach my own hdr standards - i have not done so, and i am more than welcome to understand any reasons for wanting to process files in the radioactive hdr way. but so far, i am not sure what you have given - in summary i can only see that you say that you are "trying it out", and that "some people have said it is nice".. and you end off on a relatively high and awkward note that "severe criticism will not help things". i suppose you are also of the group where solid, blunt criticism is not welcome. i think it's sad - clubsnap should have more of that than candy comment handouts.
    If you think that I replied because you commented on my photo then you just proved yourself to be a very self centered person my friend. I am referring to the few guys trying out HDR. I think you should looked back and see who you actually told them off.

Is it fair that you take it on clupsnappers to vent your frustration over at flickr? Whatever you do over at Flickr is your own business but I can't help to think that if 70% of your Flickr Group believe that the "radio-active" style is what appeal to them, shouldn't you at least create a sub group for them rather than just simply quitting?

So you believe that 70% are wrong or got the idea wrong? But why can't you convince them that they are wrong? So what makes you think that over here at Clubsnap people should listen and heed towards your direction? So what will happen if we don't go your way? Are you going to quit or continue telling people off?

I don't know man. I think quitting Clubsnap suits you better so you can create your very own.

Quote Originally Posted by chisiang View Post
    If you think that I replied because you commented on my photo then you just proved yourself to be a very self centered person my friend. I am referring to the few guys trying out HDR. I think you should looked back and see who you actually told them off.

Is it fair that you take it on clupsnappers to vent your frustration over at flickr? Whatever you do over at Flickr is your own business but I can't help to think that if 70% of your Flickr Group believe that the "radio-active" style is what appeal to them, shouldn't you at least create a sub group for them rather than just simply quitting?

So you believe that 70% are wrong or got the idea wrong? But why can't you convince them that they are wrong? So what makes you think that over here at Clubsnap people should listen and heed towards your direction? So what will happen if we don't go your way? Are you going to quit or continue telling people off?

I don't know man. I think quitting Clubsnap suits you better so you can create your very own.
    did i talk about clubsnappers in general?

who's the one venting whoever's frustration?

stop putting words in my mouth, if you cannot take the critique given by me in your thread, just ignore it and continue doing what you do. i am talking about a GENERAL TREND, writing down my point of view and how it came about to explain very kindly to you that no, this isn't directed at anyone here in particular, but directed to general trends on the net. if you insist that everything posted here has to have something to do with clubsnap, then die already. don't come disguised under some agenda that you are really interested in discussing this, and then use the opportunity to make personal attacks against someone you aren't happy with. i have not even mentioned any clubsnappers in particular, i am sorry if you thought i was referring specifically to you, and you seem to be reacting as such by attempting to make a provocation - i have duly reported this to the mods. this, unfortunately, also seems to be a problem with clubsnap - people have egos and they take all forms of critique so hard that it's painful to see how they handle it.

how have i told the other members off? i told them - not realistic, tastes differ, but if you want to be realistic, LOWER THE STRENGTH. go and do a search and you'd see that i am very moderate when commenting on hdr here.

as for your ludicrous suggestion that "if you can't beat them, join them and mollycoddle them", too bad, i'm not like that. seems like a lot of people expect such treatment but unfortunately, life isn't like that and i am not some big brother who has to babysit people who are actually possibly around my age or older.

as to what happens if radioactive hdrs continue? why should i care? 99% of the world can pump out photographs which are substandard in my own view, and i can only control myself. but i am more than welcome, in my own opinion, in any society that demands free speech, to start a discussion about it with people who are willing to exchange ideas and not take comments too personally. opinions from those who have a liking for the hdrs i have discussed are more than welcome , i do wish they would share their point of view - and as i have pointed out , you are obviously not trying very hard with justifications like "other places say it's lovely" - i can post a rubbish photo on flickr and get it to explore and get 400 positive comments and 200 favourites if i try really hard. does it mean anything? the photo is still rubbish.
    Last edited by night86mare; 4th May 2008 at 07:00 PM.

your attitude towards certain issue sound more like those garment policy makers, Of which Mr Wong had recently urged them to change their mindset.

learn to listen to others and respond diplomatically. As you mature on this aspect you will gain respect. Carry on like this you could be a very lonely soul.

Quote Originally Posted by dDarkroom View Post
    your attitude towards certain issue sound more like those garment policy makers, Of which Mr Wong had recently urged them to change their mindset.

learn to listen to others and respond diplomatically. As you mature on this aspect you will gain respect. Carry on like this you could be a very lonely soul.
    ...did you follow the entire conversation?

do you know how this situation came about? there are many things that go on outside of a thread in a forums, it is sad, but people like to mix it all up.

read my initial reply to him, and see if it warrants the response he gives. i think it is only fair to say that learning to listen and responding diplomatically is good - but there also has to be limits. if you insist that i was not diplomatic, and i did not read what he wrote and addressed any of his points, then i rest my case. if you claim that he is on the other hand, very diplomatic by telling me that i should quit clubsnap, then all the more power to you. unfortunately, in any logical discussion, "having the most buddies" doesn't necessarily mean that you look good.
    Last edited by night86mare; 4th May 2008 at 07:25 PM.

whatever it is, i think now's a good time to close the thread, it is always very sad when people turn anything good and open into some form of personal attack.

very disappointing. may all of you hdr addicts stay the way you are, i do not care in the first place. all i wanted was a discussion as to the logic behind such forms of processing, other than some desire for a wow effect. but no one's provided any points except zoosshh, which is ironic, since he doesn't even do it at all.

my suggestion is - if you cannot take critique on any of your photographs, and you have to vent it out by trolling into another thread where the person who has given critique is speaking on similar subjects - next time, just lock up your thread the way i have done it here. then the world will be a happier place, for you, for me, and for everybody else.

thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12