Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Whats the difference between a tripod and monopod? What to look for a tripod?

  1. #1

    Default Whats the difference between a tripod and monopod? What to look for a tripod?

    hi all,

    1)whats the diff bet a tripod and monopod?
    2) what to look for in a tripod? Mine is only Powershot A60, a light tripod should be sufficient? Which to reccomend?

    Regards,
    KE Tan

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Tripod 3 legs. Monopod 1 leg.
    Flickr :: Alpha 850 :: 50F1.4 :: 28-75F2.8 :: 17-35F2.8 ::

  3. #3

    Default

    You could get the SLIK 6600 tripod. Around $40. More than enough to support your A60.

  4. #4

    Default

    i guess tripod is more stable than monopod, if so why people still pay for monopod? Cheaper?

  5. #5

    Default

    tri --> three
    mono --> one


  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by ordinaryless
    i guess tripod is more stable than monopod, if so why people still pay for monopod? Cheaper?
    That's because monopods are generally lighter and more versatile than tripods. Furthermore, they can double as a walking/climbing stick, useful for mountain climbers and those who go for nature shots (where it's almost impossbile to find flat ground).

  7. #7

    Default

    Originally posted by ChinShiong
    and those who go for nature shots (where it's almost impossbile to find flat ground).
    using a secret nature photographer's technique, tripods can be used even though the ground is not flat. The secret technique is code named "adjust the length of the legs".

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by ordinaryless
    i guess tripod is more stable than monopod, if so why people still pay for monopod? Cheaper?
    ever use a huge and heavy lens?

  9. #9

    Default

    Your first question already answered. If this monopod or tripod is your first purchase, better to get the tripod imho. Also the tripod can always function as a makeshift monopod. I think you would find the tripod more useful for all around phototaking.

  10. #10

    Default

    thank you all for advises and suggestions!

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by erwinx
    using a secret nature photographer's technique, tripods can be used even though the ground is not flat. The secret technique is code named "adjust the length of the legs".
    Oh yes, I didn't know nature photographers like to waste time adjusting the length of the tripod legs, not to mention bearing the risk of missing a shot and measuring the centre of gravity of his/her setup relative to the base to prevent the setup from falling over.

  12. #12

    Default

    I believe many pro-sports photogs use monopods too right?

  13. #13

    Default

    Originally posted by Meanie
    Your first question already answered. If this monopod or tripod is your first purchase, better to get the tripod imho. Also the tripod can always function as a makeshift monopod. I think you would find the tripod more useful for all around phototaking.
    using a tripod as a makeshift monopod has never came across my mind and think it's feasible. Has anyone of u tried that b4?

    Just tried it out on my tripod and find it more convenient than extending all 3 legs.

    How many of u really use this method frequently?

  14. #14

    Default

    A monopod is useful in tight spaces, like shooting a fashion show with hundreds of other people crowding around you.

    It will not be possible to "open up" the legs of the tripod in such a situation.

    A tripod with one leg extended to function as a monopod sounds good, but the diameter of the tripod is quite thick with all 3 legs closed and only 1 leg is extended to support it.

    this may cause the tripod with 1 leg extended, to be very unstable and hardly usefully at all and if you have tried it, I find the photographer will be more worried about the tripod falling over than taking a good shot. His mind is not on the subject but on the unstable tripod.

    I have tried it before, and it is very wobbly.

    After all, a monpod is only $60-70, and you can use the tripod's head, so why not get a monopod instead of using a tripod as one?
    Last edited by Winston; 22nd June 2003 at 09:59 AM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,719

    Default

    Originally posted by ChinShiong
    Oh yes, I didn't know nature photographers like to waste time adjusting the length of the tripod legs, not to mention bearing the risk of missing a shot and measuring the centre of gravity of his/her setup relative to the base to prevent the setup from falling over.
    i dun think it is so difficult as to use the phrase waste time

  16. #16

    Default

    Originally posted by ChinShiong
    Oh yes, I didn't know nature photographers like to waste time adjusting the length of the tripod legs, not to mention bearing the risk of missing a shot and measuring the centre of gravity of his/her setup relative to the base to prevent the setup from falling over.
    obviously, you do not know how a nature photog works.

  17. #17

    Default

    Originally posted by mervlam
    obviously, you do not know how a nature photog works.
    Monopods are useful for the nature photographer who needs to be mobile and travel light, as they are easier to transport and faster to set up (as compared to a tripod). Although the use of a tripod is advocated by many, which is more useful still depends on what the photographer is shooting and where he's/she's in.

    Lastly, do not assume what I do or do not know. You don't know me.

  18. #18

    Default

    Originally posted by ChinShiong
    Lastly, do not assume what I do or do not know. You don't know me.
    So do you.

    In the case that you don't know, most nature photographers use ultra telephoto lens of 400mm and above. And most of them camp and wait for that dream shot to be taken, not what you assumed as "bearing the risk of missing a shot".

    And if you do succeed in scaring that bird off the branches, serve you right. That's probably because you are noisily trying set up your gear.
    Last edited by mervlam; 23rd June 2003 at 05:36 PM.

  19. #19

    Default

    Originally posted by mervlam
    In the case that you don't know, most nature photographers use ultra telephoto lens of 400mm and above. And most of them camp and wait for that dream shot to be taken, not what you assumed as "bearing the risk of missing a shot".

    And if you do succeed in scaring that bird off the branches, serve you right. That's probably because you are noisily trying set up your gear.
    You already said "most", not "all" didn't you ? And I have no idea how you managed to conjure up that last sentence of your post.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •