Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Advice: Route to photojournalism

Originally posted by hori
    NTU Mass Comm.
    To clarify, it's NTU Communication Studies. Mass Communication is a field within Communication Studies.

Default Re: Photojournalism

Originally posted by jeff49er
    Forget about being a photojournlist in Sg. NO future.

If you want to take pic like Steve McCurry u must be willing to travel off the beaten path. Then again u need a publisher to back u up.

If u want to be jus a press photographer, what news can u cover? Murder? Accident?

Look west or even look east.
    Hey there! I think U R juz being veri "Narrowed".
    The Question should not be got future? but rather how to a create a future!
    I know of a ex- press photographer. He doing veri well as afreelancer now. Though he might not be earning as much as a DR. or lawyer. But at least he is earning a decent pay & he get to travel to different countries on commission & invitation.

So isn't there a future!?!!!!!!!

Default PASSION

passion will take u there but it can't sustain u. at least to me.
    but it will satisfiy ur soul....... again, at least to me.

but sometimes the reality of life hits u on the face. hard.

think hard about ur choices and future.

Thanks guys!

And yes, i believe reality is one thing we,young aspiring people must face up to. So i really appreciate all the comments and reality bring put forth to me.

Bottomline is...yes, i would love to satisfy my passion for journalism( or photojournlism). But still, i would have to consider financially, and more imptly, my family.

If financially, i can't support my family. I will give the idea up. Moreover, they are..my family.

Regards

If financially, i can't support my family. I will give the idea up. Moreover, they are..my family.

Regards [/B][/QUOTE]

Default Re: Re: Photojournalism

Originally posted by jtnet
    I know of a ex- press photographer. He doing veri well as afreelancer now.
    Personally, because I am first and foremost a photographer and not a (photo) journalist, that is my long term goal too. The money is a big factor, as is the job description.

Though he might not be earning as much as a DR. or lawyer.

Definitely, if I was doing another job on my current pay, I wouldn't be able to justify affording an EF 500/4L IS USM. But then again plenty of rich people afford one but cannot really justify it either. I chose to do what I'm doing because I like it, and because law doesn't really appeal, money aside.

But at least he is earning a decent pay & he get to travel to different countries on commission & invitation.

I'm a photojournalist now, I'm on decent pay (yes, decent. Great, no). And I get to travel to different countries too, but that's not high on my list of job benefits to be perfectly honest. You individual mileage will vary, it depends on the kind of person you are and what you want out of life.

Originally posted by mervlam
    To clarify, it's NTU Communication Studies. Mass Communication is a field within Communication Studies.
    Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't know that it is comms studies.

Hai,

So interesting to stumble on this thread.

Recently I've been contemplating doing a course in Communcation studies or Journalism, but I haven't been able to decide which I would take up, the broader based comms studies or the specific journalism..... hmm..

Also not too sure if I should just whack the Advanced Dip route cos I do not have a relevant Diploma in the field.. of course I worry that I'm losing out some stuf that could have been taught at Diploma level and is important as foundations... hmm... still got about a year to consider I guess. I'm currently working and wish to get a degree before my contract ends.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123