Thread: any reco for a newbie?

Default any reco for a newbie?

hi ppl here! im new into this community and even to photography. before hand i was using a normal digi cam... now im planning of buying a dslr.. so can any kind soul give me a reco on which brand and model to buy? anyway how you guys find sony a350? thx for the helping hand

Default Re: any reco for a newbie?

A Nikon D60

For basic model.... there's -
    Canon 450D
    Nikon D60
    Sony A350

Suggest you go and try each model with your own hand and see which one you like.... then consider price, and other stuffs.

Goodluck

Scuba & Father... For Life

I am also a newbie and I got myself Canon 450D from John 3:16 $1350, together with the Prime lens for 50mm $130

Now, it is the get-to-know-you camera session!

Enjoy

Consider Pentax K200D too.

Its a good start with weather-sealed body.
    Let's get rolling :)

ahhhhhh ok thx alot for the info. at 1st i was thinking of sony a350 or D40 but seems u guys will take D60. well think i will go hand on the few and see which will suit me better. last but nt lest thx!!!! ^^

www.dcresource.com
    www.dpreview.com

These are good sites that review the camera(s) that you re interested in.

Look thru them to gain more insight.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by chitose View Post
    hi ppl here! im new into this community and even to photography. before hand i was using a normal digi cam... now im planning of buying a dslr.. so can any kind soul give me a reco on which brand and model to buy? anyway how you guys find sony a350? thx for the helping hand
    do you have.. any idea of what you want?

because the list can go on and on.. and with such specific demands that you have, this is the list i can present to you, along with second-hand market choices

nikon d40
    nikon d40x
    nikon d50
    nikon d60
    nikon d70
    nikon d70x
    nikon d80
    nikon d100
    nikon d200
    nikon d300
    nikon d3
    canon 300d
    canon 350d
    canon 400d
    canon 450d
    canon 20d
    canon 30d
    canon 40d
    canon mark ii
    canon mark iii
    canon 5d
    olympus e400
    olympus e410
    olympus e420
    olympus e500
    olympus e510
    olympus e3
    sony a100
    sony a250
    sony a350
    sony a700
    pentax istD series
    pentax k100d
    pentax k200d
    pentax k10d
    pentax k20d

still got a lot more, but those might be a tad too ancient. herein lies the moral of the story:

ask a headless chicken question, get a headless chicken answer. here you see 3 different replies to your initial post, all giving different answers. and one more which seems to give all 3 in the same post
    Last edited by night86mare; 5th May 2008 at 09:29 PM.

lol.. that's really specific..

to threadstarter.. for a start you might want to let us know what's your budget.. coz without a budget (or rather.. an infinite budget).. i'd say go get the nikon d3 / canon 1ds mkiii or something.. (who says newbies cannot buy top end cameras?! )

ok that was a joke.. anyway.. each brand and model offers something at its price point.. be it image quality.. size.. weight.. functions.. etc etc etc etc etc etc.. you gotta know what you want.. what you need.. and what are nice to haves..

Follow your heart,

Follow your Intuition.

Feel e camera.

Test it.

Which one do you feel an affinity for?

And once you buy it.

Learn to love it more.

Familiarise its strengths and weaknesses.

Like a human, not one is perfect.

So please, stick with your choice.

And not complain about it.

Learn to compensate for its limitations.

Go out with it, shoot more.

And may the love develop!
    Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still

Hi there, i am new to DSLR too! Bought my Canon 40D today only!

Found quite alot of useful camera review videos on www.cameralabs.com or you can search youtube "Cameralabs". Can find review of the Nikon D60, D80, Canon 400D, 450D, 40D (my choice) and many more....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbppTQfuJ8M

I found it really useful, hope will help you.

A personal recommendation for a place to buy your camera, you can try T K Foto Trading at Shaw Towers, Beach Road, i bought my camera there, i am very happy with what they have to offer (pricing and service). I am sure you can get some help there!

yup i undertstand.... so far i have try out D60 n a350.. like both of them. will go try out n gather info before i buy lol.... anyway u guys think is it must to go for course? anyway u guys here go for course too? if got any which u guys think its gd?

You have to consider the prices of the lense too.
    Enjoy the Shooting :cool:

yup i undertstand.... so far i have try out D60 n a350.. like both of them. will go try out n gather info before i buy lol.... anyway u guys think is it must to go for course? anyway u guys here go for course too? if got any which u guys think its gd?
    Course? hmmm..I attended one by Julian W. at the Sony Workshop, But it's pretty ex.. I normally go to workshops to ask for trainer's advice, not to listen to their lessons because there are alot of technical information given in most courses can actually be found on the net too. visiting CS forums are a good way to kick start your learning in photography.
    D80|Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8|Nikon 50mm f/1.8D|80-200mm f/2.8D
    PortFolio | Photo Blog

Since you have experience from consumer cameras, I believe you will find the live view useful. IIRC, only Canon, Sony & Olympus has live view on their cam. Go try them out to see which you prefer. The comfort and button layouts are very important, see which is more comfortable to your hands and when doing test shots, make sure the settings are the same. I ever brought a friend to buy a small compact cam and the sales man recommended another popular brand although my friend has her mind set on another. When doing the test shots I realised that the one recommended by the salesman was indeed better than the one my friend chose. When I took the cams from her to meddle with them, I found that the settings were not the same, hence, the results very different. After I reset the cam to the same setting, it was very clear that the one my friend had in mind was indeed much better compared to the one the sales man recommended. So don't be affected by the salesman, they are mostly driven by commission.

As for the course, it would be good to attend too. As a newbie, I do benefit from the course by Julian. The course is very interesting and fun and will involve some practical as well.
    Last edited by Galdor; 6th May 2008 at 07:00 PM.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony