Thread: Cakes Cakes Birthday Cakes

Default Cakes Cakes Birthday Cakes

Anyone know of nice Birthday Cakes?

NOT Bakerzinn, Coffee Club, Swensens and those that fall in this category. Looking at more boutique and exquisite cakes that won't blow my budget of $60 bucks.

I've seemed to squeezed my brain juice dry to think of somewhere to get a cake.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Cakes Cakes Birthday Cakes

$60 or below probably need to look at Bengawan Solo, Cake History or some of the nicer heartland bakeries (don't knock them - some are capable of very nice designs and the taste is decent).

Try Awfully chocolate in Katong or Lana Cakeshop in Greenwood Cresc, along bukit timah.

Awfully Chocolate is good stuff. Won't blow your budget. They have quite a few outlets.

Check out www.awfullychocolate.com for more info. They have a list of outlets too.

You should try The Patissier. It is located at both Mohd Sultan & Ang Siang.

But prices a little on the steep side. Get a smaller 1kg cake if its not a very big party.

Otherwise, $60-$80 can get you a decent cake from hotel intercontinental or other nice hotels.

Neighborhood cakes tend to be large, but its all too creamy and somewhat plain.

Thanks for all the input so far. Keep them coming!

Neighbourhood cake shops are out. Like one said, its all whipcreamy and bleargh.

Lana is seriously, seriously over-rated, unless you like basic over-glutenised and gelatinised sponge (it feels and tastes that way IMO) too much chocolate (not balanced) at an inflated price. Apologies to the hoards of Lana fans out there.

What Contaxable said is also true. Most neighbourhood shops use recipes that result in air-filled cakes because it looks bigger and more attractive - aka, more value for $. Icings are another area where they cut a lot of of corners.

Unless you know what to look out for, guess it's best to stick with some upper-market bakeries.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 2nd May 2008 at 02:32 AM.

this place has some great cakes.. the Palais Royal is heavenly

not sure wat the prices are like for an entire cake though..

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Lana is seriously, seriously over-rated, unless you like basic over-glutenised and gelatinised sponge (it feels and tastes that way IMO) too much chocolate (not balanced) at an inflated price. Apologies to the hoards of Lana fans out there.

What Contaxable said is also true. Most neighbourhood shops use recipes that result in air-filled cakes because it looks bigger and more attractive - aka, more value for $. Icings are another area where they cut a lot of of corners.

Unless you know what to look out for, guess it's best to stick with some upper-market bakeries.
    Can't seem to find a website for Lana. I'm still keeping my options open. Checking out the range and see what impresses me the most...=)

Lana Cakeshop doesnt have a website. Very old fashioned even until now. Call them at 64665315. That shop hasnt changed since my primary school days. Cant agree with Dream Merchant about the cakes, that is his view on it. I rate Lana a tad higher than Awfully Choco.

Lots of folks like Lana cakes.

Thing about taste is it's very subjective. One man's meat is another man's poison and vice-versa. I do like the 'old fashioned' appeal though, but I don't think it qualifies for the mass ravings it receives. But that's just me. Nuff said cuz I don't want to offend anyone.

CHEERS!

Try the mango cake at Conrad.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Hilton hotel's American cheesecake.

The Patissier is
    Just had it two days back. Do give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by adamothirteen View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far. Keep them coming!

Neighbourhood cake shops are out. Like one said, its all whipcreamy and bleargh.
    Sigh....I like my neighbourhood cake from a shop in Yishun where I stay. 2 cake shops side by side. Its really affordable and value for money. With competition, the shops has become very creative and there are lots of design and type to choose from. Cake's good too! Auntie's very friendly and chatty. compliments to the baker!

For your info, they don't just have whipcream type cakes only.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

there's this cake shop in amk ave 10, got featured in singapore brides and stuff.. not very expensive but the cake is really good. have a look, i cant seem to remember the name...

there's this cake shop in amk ave 10, got featured in singapore brides and stuff.. not very expensive but the cake is really good. have a look, i cant seem to remember the name...