Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: old town in new light

  1. #1

    Default old town in new light

    I will like feedback on how this photo cou;d be taken in a nicer way.
    i m new to photogragphy n trying to seek advice.
    the picture was taken in a old town in china against the backdropof neon light along the river. it was taken around 9pm on a tripod. found the light very different n it seems like it is resembling the raising of the new generation in the old china.


  2. #2

    Default Re: old town in new light

    first things first - good choice of exposure, but the tilt here is extremely noticeable. correct it.

    while the light is mysterious, and i do like the wb you have selected, there is a glaringly obvious problem in that there is no strong focal point. this is fine for "record shots" but there are probably stronger compositions to be found along this street. you have chosen to go wide here, why not find something interesting in the foreground and use it to express your "concept" explained above? anything would do, so long as it signifies a "rising of a new generation".

    night shooting is an extremely good time for you to be playing with light and shadow, you could also exploit that.

  3. #3

    Default Re: old town in new light

    very good pic indeedcreating the feeling of depth in a two dimensional pic is very good...very good detail in the highlights and shadowsleading lines keep the viewers eye intact within the frame "raising of the new generation in a old china" is totally apt to describe ur pic mrdinobros though u say ur new to photography.i see a lot of talent in u.....keep up the good work...

  4. #4
    Member sunboi80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West of SG
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: old town in new light

    tilted, the potted plant on the right quite distracting... i think u could move back 5-10 steps and take the pic, it shld turn out better...
    ;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

  5. #5

    Default Re: old town in new light

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    first things first - good choice of exposure, but the tilt here is extremely noticeable. correct it.

    while the light is mysterious, and i do like the wb you have selected, there is a glaringly obvious problem in that there is no strong focal point. this is fine for "record shots" but there are probably stronger compositions to be found along this street. you have chosen to go wide here, why not find something interesting in the foreground and use it to express your "concept" explained above? anything would do, so long as it signifies a "rising of a new generation".

    night shooting is an extremely good time for you to be playing with light and shadow, you could also exploit that.

    thanks bro for your advice, will take note of the tilt in the future,
    took the pic during a vacation, spent like 2 hours at the old street to take pictures.

    This seem like the one that i like most and yet there are still so many mistakes that i didnt even know.

    Will work harder nxt round.

  6. #6

    Default Re: old town in new light

    Quote Originally Posted by dinobros View Post
    thanks bro for your advice, will take note of the tilt in the future,
    took the pic during a vacation, spent like 2 hours at the old street to take pictures.

    This seem like the one that i like most and yet there are still so many mistakes that i didnt even know.
    nothing wrong with liking your photos - there would be something seriously wrong if you hated every photo you took, won't it?

    note that everything i have commented here is technical - if the photo does have a special meaning to you, then that's another story altogether. just commenting purely on the aesthetics and technicality - because that is surely, one aspect that everybody would see.. unlike the special meaning connotation, if you catch my drift.

    it's not a horrible photo, i've seen far worse here. at least your understanding of exposure, along with the use of a tripod mentioned, displays at the very least, a sound foundation with regards to exposing - which is a lot more than what i could say for perhaps half of the people posting in clubsnap, honestly. keep shooting

  7. #7

    Default Re: old town in new light

    Quote Originally Posted by newlife View Post
    very good pic indeedcreating the feeling of depth in a two dimensional pic is very good...very good detail in the highlights and shadowsleading lines keep the viewers eye intact within the frame "raising of the new generation in a old china" is totally apt to describe ur pic mrdinobros though u say ur new to photography.i see a lot of talent in u.....keep up the good work...
    haha newlife,

    Thanks for your encouragement, in the past, i used to think that taking pictures are juz taking nice scenary and framing them properly and thats it, it was only until i talk and take pictures with veteran like you guys that i realli start to understand the wonders of photography.

    It realli fun to spend 2 hours and 100 shots just for 1 nice shot, hehe i will work harder and to polish my skills once again, thx for the encouragement

  8. #8

    Default Re: old town in new light

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    nothing wrong with liking your photos - there would be something seriously wrong if you hated every photo you took, won't it?

    note that everything i have commented here is technical - if the photo does have a special meaning to you, then that's another story altogether. just commenting purely on the aesthetics and technicality - because that is surely, one aspect that everybody would see.. unlike the special meaning connotation, if you catch my drift.

    it's not a horrible photo, i've seen far worse here. at least your understanding of exposure, along with the use of a tripod mentioned, displays at the very least, a sound foundation with regards to exposing - which is a lot more than what i could say for perhaps half of the people posting in clubsnap, honestly. keep shooting
    haha, i understand your comments and appreciate them, will remember them and try to refrain from making the mistakes in the future.

    Happy snapping

  9. #9

    Default Re: old town in new light

    Good idea here. Could have tried HDR/ flashing the foreground for a more balanced pictures. The row of houses in front are underexposed in a bad way, could either dodge it for more details or burn it for more contrast with the backdrop. Either way, you should have included more of the sky cos its da most striking of elements here
    Canon 40D, 10-22, 35, 70-200
    http://theserialhobbyist.multiply.com

  10. #10

    Default Re: old town in new light

    Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
    Good idea here. Could have tried HDR/ flashing the foreground for a more balanced pictures. The row of houses in front are underexposed in a bad way, could either dodge it for more details or burn it for more contrast with the backdrop. Either way, you should have included more of the sky cos its da most striking of elements here
    hmm sorry pal,

    my shuttle speed for that picture was 8s
    not sure if my build in flash is strong enough to flash the foreground.

    wasted didnt tot of tryin this then. will find another situation like this to try out.

    thanks for your advicce

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: old town in new light

    Quote Originally Posted by dinobros View Post
    hmm sorry pal,

    my shuttle speed for that picture was 8s
    not sure if my build in flash is strong enough to flash the foreground.

    wasted didnt tot of tryin this then. will find another situation like this to try out.

    thanks for your advicce
    Hey bro, don't know if you are aware but there's no shuttle in your camera. It's "shutter speed".

    Bro, if you are mounted on tripod, you can consider taking multiple exposures, shooting one to have correct exposure for the foreground, and another for the background. Then, shoot one more as an average between both exposures and merge them.

    This is if you want it well-exposed, but I find the light at the end of the lane does bring the viewer "into" the picture.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •