Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're Married

Originally posted by sehsuan
    please hit Reload on your browser, it's at the top.
    Already done a few times, but don't see much difference.

Still find the signature too loud.

Deregistered

please reload. signature removed.

Better now. Have you tried removing the watch using PS?

SS, what were your camera settings?

Deregistered

i'm not that skilled in PS, so i won't dabble to erase the watch.

settings were, ISO400, f/4, 1/60s on P-mode, using 420EX with bounce card. focal length was 35mm; colour levels were adjusted to set highlights lower.

Too tight a crop, and too many distractions in the picture.

Seh, i reckon i have an idea what you were going for but you are slightly off. You may think that the watch looks alright in the picture but what does it say?

It's placed too far up on the right corner to mean anything, yet at the same time, draws the eyes away from the rings which are supposed to be the main subject of this shot.

There is no balance to this shot because while the watch distracts, it's the leaves with that dark shade of colour almost blending into the background of the table, that "mutes" the picture. It honestly doesn't help. What would have helped is a nice white table cloth or something soft and pastel coloured...

The lighting also isn't particularly flattering and while i understand you were constrained by the enviroment, you need to realised that if you know for a fact that this shot wouldn't work, then don't take it.

Well, keep your eyes wide open mate. You need to do justice to your camera and i mean this in the best possible way.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Deregistered

Wolfgang, thanks for your very precise feedback - particularly useful.

actually, most of my shots for the day are well, just like P&S - but the main thing is not that P&S is good or not good - but i'm not versatile enough to shoot for this kind of occasion. if it's sports, i can do better... but indoor-wise, i'm reaaaaally banging my head against the wall for new ideas.

heng i told my pals that for the actual "big day", i can only supplement as a backup

Wolfgang, thanks for your very precise feedback - particularly useful.

actually, most of my shots for the day are well, just like P&S - but the main thing is not that P&S is good or not good - but i'm not versatile enough to shoot for this kind of occasion. if it's sports, i can do better... but indoor-wise, i'm reaaaaally banging my head against the wall for new ideas.

heng i told my pals that for the actual "big day", i can only supplement as a backup
    There always the first time.
    Anyway looking forward for your sports pictures though

Deregistered

thanks ransoma22

If you're not versatile enough for a wedding (your own words), I'd like to see you do sports, which has a much more dynamic nature that can move along at a very furious pace. And from your last SACA ITT photos, if that is what you call better, then I think you're seriously over-estimating yourself.

Wolfus has given you some good ideas, and certainly has been very kind to offer them, but stop trying to squeeze yourself out of what is essentially a shot which needs improvement.. no amount of excuses will save the fact it is an average shot at best.

A photographer who hides behind his excuses and doesn't reflect on his work and actions in life will never become a decent photog, let alone a good one. Think about it.

I think you might need to brush up on your workflow. If you are serious in digital pics, you need to be able to use it to your advantage.

The flower is too soft for my liking. And is a distraction to the whole pic. It take up too much of the frame. And the watch.

Dun be despair by what i or others have said. Used it to improve your future pics.

Cheers.

Deregistered

YSLee, i'm still learning. i acknowledged Wolfgang's advice. are you offering any help here? nope.

in fact i admit, to my other friends who asked me how the pictures were - they were far disappointing - colour balances were thrown waaaay off, some shots were severely over-exposed. that doesn't even include composition, or rather, the lack of it. did i say all (or even, "any") shots were good? nope.

i prefer to do sports because i have my background in sports in my earlier days. i doubt you were one in the first place, so please go and challenge yourself for your ippt first. sportspeople can see sports through another viewpoint that you don't possess.

of all advice and opinions given, only Wolfgang, Binbeto, Dagger and Jeffgoh have given constructive comments/criticism. what are you giving?

or let's put it this way - for the number of years you've shot, you should be shooting much better than i can, with the equipment you've bought with your own money. and in your way of speech, i'm using something that isn't paid by my own money yet, and i have been shooting experimentally for a maximum of 8 months to date - if i can have shots comparable to your standard, you should go shoot yourself

keep on trolling if you want.
    Last edited by sehsuan; 21st June 2003 at 01:55 AM.

Originally posted by binbeto
    Dun be despair by what i or others have said. Used it to improve your future pics.
    ya dun think about how bad the shot is & be disheartened. Find out what's wrong & try to avoid making the same mistake the next time round.

taking one time rom pix with unsatisfactory results doesn't mean you'd be bad at it forever. Whatever the subject or ocasion, practice & experience counts towards the final result.

Deregistered

thanks lilz jiejie!

One more thing, aperture priority might have been a more ideal mode to use as u'd have the background slightly more blurred out if you had shot at wide aperture. Like that, the girl's dress would be less distracting than it is now.

Deregistered

lilz, thanks for the suggestion.

actually this shoot was in a way, a massive learning curve for me because this is the first time i am using a speedlite. i just borrowed it from one of the senior CS folks a couple of days back, and i haven't figured out how to meter light correctly. got too confused with the FEL parts too. too worried about severely underexposing or worse still, overexposing the shots, so i'd use Auto Program mode instead of Av or Tv modes

will only be able to learn (let alone master) that when i can afford my own speedlite...

set to TTL lor - has worked fine for me so far

Don't be disheartened anyway, at least you keep shooting.
    I'm sure you will improve and get better as time goes. Learn and apply. keep shooting
    Light. Artistic. Moments.

Deregistered

eh, i tried to do the FEL while in the E-TTL mode, but the exposure for some shots were really overexposed... this is one thing i haven't learnt yet

sigh. if outdoors, at ROM, i could have "gotten away with murder" by using sunlight, but indoors leh... my mind's really at a blank for shooting ideas/knowledge...

malkw, thanks for your encouragement

my mind's really at a blank for shooting ideas/knowledge...
    Go look up books on wedding photography. It'd give you ideas.

The night before my first wedding shoot (as a tag along) I actually went to look at my own wedding album (!!) for ideas.

This is just to get one started but you will develop your own eye & style in time to come.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast