Thread: " Printing Polaroid "

Default " Printing Polaroid "

Hi there,

I would like to ask where or how can I print my standard digital photos (3x2) into polaroid look-alike formats?

I was thinking of square cropping my pictures and insert an appropriate white border myself then send for normal 4R printing. After that just manually cut out the "polaroidshape" using scissors or office cutter.

Is that going to cause ink to leak out through the edges where I cut and affect print quality?

I was hoping there would be some shops out there that could do this printing directly onto this format.

I apologize if the terms i use are a bit confusing, don't really understand the realm of polaroid. All i know is that the format is usually a square picture in a square paper with white borders. sometimes even got a small space below to write some words :b

Appreciate any advices!
    Cheers.
    Snap snap away!

Default Re: " Printing Polaroid "

Quote Originally Posted by weishengg View Post
    Hi there,

I would like to ask where or how can I print my standard digital photos (3x2) into polaroid look-alike formats?

I was thinking of square cropping my pictures and insert an appropriate white border myself then send for normal 4R printing. After that just manually cut out the "polaroidshape" using scissors or office cutter.

Is that going to cause ink to leak out through the edges where I cut and affect print quality?

I was hoping there would be some shops out there that could do this printing directly onto this format.

I apologize if the terms i use are a bit confusing, don't really understand the realm of polaroid. All i know is that the format is usually a square picture in a square paper with white borders. sometimes even got a small space below to write some words :b

Appreciate any advices!
    Cheers.
    What ink leakage are you talk about?

it will be more economy to do it yourself, the labs just do the printing for you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

it will be more economy to do it yourself, the labs just do the printing for you.
    Maybe he was referring to the chemicals in the reservoir in polaroid prints. If you cut that, then you're going to get some gooey stuff flowing out of the print.

Looks like you haven't tried cutting a print from RC paper before, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Looks like you haven't tried cutting a print from RC paper before, eh?
    thanks for all the comments so far! =)

but what is RC paper may I ask? i did a search but it's not easy to relate the technical features to my mental impression of what a "photo paper" is :b i suppose almost every colour photo we have today is printed on either RC paper or solid polyester right?

you're quite right on this point here, but I did cut RC paper before, just that I never store it long enough to see if the cutting would degrade its archival properties :b

i'm trying to make my own scrap book here, so I hope that it would be able to last some time =)

comments appreciated!
    Snap snap away!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

I meant whether if you would observe abnormally accelerated ink degradation along the edges that you cut, compared to the core of the centre of the photopaper
    Snap snap away!

thanks for all the comments so far! =)

but what is RC paper may I ask? i did a search but it's not easy to relate the technical features to my mental impression of what a "photo paper" is :b i suppose almost every colour photo we have today is printed on either RC paper or solid polyester right?

you're quite right on this point here, but I did cut RC paper before, just that I never store it long enough to see if the cutting would degrade its archival properties :b

i'm trying to make my own scrap book here, so I hope that it would be able to last some time =)

comments appreciated!
    RC- resin coated.

The 4R prints from lab are also cut from a roll after the printing and processing, so there should not be a problem with cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    RC- resin coated.

The 4R prints from lab are also cut from a roll after the printing and processing, so there should not be a problem with cutting.

ah i see~ now i have more confidence to D.I.Y. already. thanks for answering my queries!
    Snap snap away!