Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Tua Peh Kong Fish

  1. #1

    Default Tua Peh Kong Fish

    Hi, I heard from my friends that fish with 5 finger prints on them are known as Tua Peh Kong fish, and it is not advisable to eat them as they are related to the deities. May I know is this true, and what is the english name for such a fish? Trying to find some pictures of it.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    What 5 finger prints?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    It's known as Queenfish.
    the australia do use it for fish n chips.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    Fish has five marks, that is true.
    Related to God or not I don't know.

    However it doesn't taste very good for typical Chinese cooking styles of stir fry or steam as flesh tend to be dry and can be tasteless.

    Taste gets worse the larger the fish.

    Hence advisable to catch and release if you get one... At least that is what I see in most catch reports from local fishing guys, they normally value it for the fight. But release it to fight another day.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    What 5 finger prints?
    for a moment i was thinking about the 5 dunno wat exploding heart technique in Kill Bill...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    I am catholic and chinese. I can eat everything that moves on land, fly in the air, grow on the land, swim in the sea! Whether i eat or not, that's another story...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  7. #7
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  8. #8
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    Fish is edible, but you need to bleed it to ensure good meat quality.

    Also note that the larger ones which lives in reefs should be avoided due to possible ciguatera fish poisoning.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  9. #9

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    This fish reminds me of an old neighbor. We always heard his wife scream the three words DBG whenever he was stuck to the couch all day reading newspapers and watching TV.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    Thanks for all the reply! Anyway, does anyone knows why is it call Tua Peh Kong fish?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Fish has five marks, that is true.
    Related to God or not I don't know.

    However it doesn't taste very good for typical Chinese cooking styles of stir fry or steam as flesh tend to be dry and can be tasteless.

    Taste gets worse the larger the fish.

    Hence advisable to catch and release if you get one... At least that is what I see in most catch reports from local fishing guys, they normally value it for the fight. But release it to fight another day.
    Do you mean that it is very tough to catch the fish?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    I heard it puts up quite a fight. Can go to www.fishingkaki.com

    There are alot of reports there on how fishing fellows tackle the fish.

  13. #13
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Thanks for all the reply! Anyway, does anyone knows why is it call Tua Peh Kong fish?
    According to legend, the diety "Tua Peh Kong" handled the fish to release it and had left his finger prints on the side of the fish body.

    There is another fish with a similar story, John Dory where there is a fingerspot on the rear of the fish too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Do you mean that it is very tough to catch the fish?
    It's a mid water fish (pelagic too) and thus can only be caught when specifically targetted for.


    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in the East
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    I heard it puts up quite a fight. Can go to www.fishingkaki.com

    There are alot of reports there on how fishing fellows tackle the fish.
    Ah... Queenie! Great fighting fish! Normally, we would catch and release them, not because of the legend, but rather, the meat is not really nice (as least for us, Aussies use them as fish and chips, of course, some of the anglers would make assam pedas with it.)

  15. #15

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    Quote Originally Posted by zapline View Post
    Ah... Queenie! Great fighting fish! Normally, we would catch and release them, not because of the legend, but rather, the meat is not really nice (as least for us, Aussies use them as fish and chips, of course, some of the anglers would make assam pedas with it.)
    I just read and found out that queenfish is a type of croaker, and my brother told me that croaker taste nice.

  16. #16
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Tua Peh Kong Fish

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    I just read and found out that queenfish is a type of croaker, and my brother told me that croaker taste nice.
    Eh... croaker??

    Queenfish is part of the jacks and trevally family, Carangidae.

    Croakers are under the Family Sciaenidae - Drums or croakers
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •