Thread: Taking Macro Shoots

Question Taking Macro Shoots

Hi all, a newbie here. I am very motivated by the macro shoots I see in the gallery. But I'm using a Ixus 400 now and I need to get real close before I can get a proper shoot at my objects. Is there any lens or accessories that I can add on so that i can take my macro shots some distance away?

Another thing I realised is that my whenever I set my camera to macro mode, the pics I took became blur if I use my optical zoom. Esp for very close up shots (8-10cm away from lens). Can anybody enlight me? Hee... Thanx in advance!!

You can read up the detail review of Canon Ixus 400 at
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons400/

From the specification , the focusing range is :
    Macro (Wide): 5 - 46 cm (2.0 - 18.1 in)
    Macro (Tele): 30 - 46 cm (11.8 - 18.1 in)

which mean at wide (no zoom), you can focus up to 5cm and at tele (3x zoom), you can focus up to 30cm. Any beyond these distance will get out of focus. Canon Ixus 400 does not support lens adapter which allows to hold filters like UV, closeup, polariser or etc.

There are many factors to get blur shots and recommend to post ur shots here so that we can identify the problem.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Oh... actually I'm aware of the focusing range but the thing is that at the range I cant use my optical zoom which created blur image. I'm quite sure its not due to the lack of tripod because initially when I shoot without the zoom, the image turns out ok... so dun really know where the problem lies.

Hee... anyway, got any recommendation on what I can add on to my cam, so that I can take macro shots on the bird on the tree thats far away? Like what I saw in your galleries?

Since you cannot add any lens adapter on your cam, I guess that's it.

But then, macro lens is use to focus closer to the subject. If your intension is to take photo of a distant subject then I think you need a zoom lens, not macro lens.

If you really want to give macro a try, you could try to hold a closeup filter infront of your lens with your hand to get closer since your camera isn't very heavy..

hee, I think i must really go n read up. My only idea of lens is those long things that photographers attached to their cams which can help them do wonders. Dun even know the diff betwn zoom and macro lens.

Anyway, saw a pic in the forum before, on a V3 attached with some lens on a tripod. Think that was how I got the idea that my ixus can add on stuff.

Originally posted by Nova
    hee, I think i must really go n read up. My only idea of lens is those long things that photographers attached to their cams which can help them do wonders. Dun even know the diff betwn zoom and macro lens.

Anyway, saw a pic in the forum before, on a V3 attached with some lens on a tripod. Think that was how I got the idea that my ixus can add on stuff.
    I think you can buy the adaptar for your v3 off some overseas website, maybe you can ask fella, he should know more.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

Hey, really appreciate all your replies man!

Its been very helpful, thanx again!

Originally posted by Nova
    Hey, really appreciate all your replies man!

Its been very helpful, thanx again!
    Nova, you said you're focusing at 10cm, when you use your optical zoom you must not be LESS then 30cm (at full 3 zoom) from the subject. At 10cm you must be using NO or little zoom to focus.