Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: need advise for night portrait..

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    新加坡
    Posts
    1,601

    Default need advise for night portrait..

    hi guys,

    i need some advise for night portrait shooting... i'm using D40 with SB 600... what r the things i should take note of it.. i know if i use flash the background will b bitch dark, so how should i over come the problem...

    thank alot...
    我只是個陌生人 =x

  2. #2

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    use rear curtain on ur flash.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Quote Originally Posted by wing oscar View Post
    hi guys,

    i need some advise for night portrait shooting... i'm using D40 with SB 600... what r the things i should take note of it.. i know if i use flash the background will b bitch dark, so how should i over come the problem...

    thank alot...
    Use tripod and set to around 2 sec exposure.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  4. #4

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Your D40 has a night portrait mode. Just switch to that.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    新加坡
    Posts
    1,601

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    use rear curtain on ur flash.
    rear curtain?? sorry can tell me more mah... =)

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Use tripod and set to around 2 sec exposure.
    hmmm... okie i will try... =)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Your D40 has a night portrait mode. Just switch to that.
    so easy ar... can i want use manual mode...? =)


    sorry if i didn't state clearly... i'm refering outdoor night portrait shooting... so my ISO need to set to 400 - 800 izit??
    我只是個陌生人 =x

  6. #6

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Quote Originally Posted by wing oscar View Post
    rear curtain?? sorry can tell me more mah... =)



    hmmm... okie i will try... =)



    so easy ar... can i want use manual mode...? =)


    sorry if i didn't state clearly... i'm refering outdoor night portrait shooting... so my ISO need to set to 400 - 800 izit??
    rear curtain flash kicks in at the end of your exposure. so u meter for the background and the flash acts as a fill for your subject. so for example, u shot someone with the esplanade as a background. u meter for the building and u set the flash on rear curtain. when the shutter is abt to close, the flash goes off and lights up your model.

    note that it will be better to be using manual mode for this and maybe a tripod.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Try to avoid high ISOs in order to minimise noise in your pics which can be easily seen in night's dark sky. Use around ISO 100 is fine since u're using a tripod.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  8. #8
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Another trick is to use manual with low shutter speeds of about 1/15 or so, bump up the ISO to about 400 or 800 and fill flash at about -1.0 to get a balanced foreground and background...

    Need to do some trial and error tests for different situations.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  9. #9

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    okay this method has two outcomes. either you want a still background or one with moving lights. put on manual model, set to 1/2 sec exposure iso abt 400. set ur flash to ittl. and point direct down. (pointing at ur subject.) can dun worry...if ur scared to harsh tone it down. anyway. ensure that ur "model" is dark...no random street lamps or cars drive by.

    okay for still background put ur camera on tripod. for dynamic background hand hald your camera and when u click just turn the camera. quickly. u can explore here do any kind of movement u want. best ur bg is xmas lights

    by the way turn OFF rear curtain lighting for either of this. on ur camera in the flash column where u can choose red eye reduction and th power tone down..ensure the word rear is off. also make sure on ur flash the "BL" is off too. should be on i ttl only.
    nikon d700 nikkor 50mm f1.4 nikkor 55mm micro ais f2.8 nikkor 35 f2 sb 600 sb800 leica m4

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    新加坡
    Posts
    1,601

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    thank flipfreak, Snoweagle, Rashkae, zac08 n stupidbloke...

    thank for the tips... i guess i need to trial and error tests for it...

    i got a female friend she wanna to have studio shoot cause she don't wanna to sweat in outdoor day shoot... but problem is i don't know how to handle studio equipments, so i decide to have a night shoot with her... that is y i need advised on night portrait shoot tips...

    thank once again guys...
    我只是個陌生人 =x

  11. #11

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Quote Originally Posted by wing oscar View Post
    thank flipfreak, Snoweagle, Rashkae, zac08 n stupidbloke...

    thank for the tips... i guess i need to trial and error tests for it...

    i got a female friend she wanna to have studio shoot cause she don't wanna to sweat in outdoor day shoot... but problem is i don't know how to handle studio equipments, so i decide to have a night shoot with her... that is y i need advised on night portrait shoot tips...

    thank once again guys...
    good luck on your first shoot then. most important is to have fun.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    新加坡
    Posts
    1,601

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    good luck on your first shoot then. most important is to have fun.
    thank thank... btw any place is good for night portrait shooting..
    我只是個陌生人 =x

  13. #13

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Quote Originally Posted by wing oscar View Post
    thank thank... btw any place is good for night portrait shooting..
    Lots of good locations!

    But if I may suggest... Try using the Auto "Night Portrait" function to get a test shot. Take a look at the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc that the camera selected. Use that as a good starting point for your Manual mode and learn.
    Alpha

  14. #14

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Quote Originally Posted by wing oscar View Post
    thank thank... btw any place is good for night portrait shooting..
    somewhere with nice dramatic lighting at night? not too complicated though.

  15. #15

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Can slow syn be use in this situation???

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    新加坡
    Posts
    1,601

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Lots of good locations!

    But if I may suggest... Try using the Auto "Night Portrait" function to get a test shot. Take a look at the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc that the camera selected. Use that as a good starting point for your Manual mode and learn.
    hmm.. i guess this the only way to learn fast...

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    somewhere with nice dramatic lighting at night? not too complicated though.
    i will go search around...

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappy99 View Post
    Can slow syn be use in this situation???
    i did some research on it... yes can use slow syn n longer shutter speed... but your model need to b stay still till your shutter close...
    我只是個陌生人 =x

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Quote Originally Posted by wing oscar View Post
    thank flipfreak, Snoweagle, Rashkae, zac08 n stupidbloke...

    thank for the tips... i guess i need to trial and error tests for it...

    i got a female friend she wanna to have studio shoot cause she don't wanna to sweat in outdoor day shoot... but problem is i don't know how to handle studio equipments, so i decide to have a night shoot with her... that is y i need advised on night portrait shoot tips...

    thank once again guys...
    Studio shoots are more difficult to control as if u don't know how to control lighting, results can be disastrous.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  18. #18

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Mebbe try not a completely-night-shoot, but late-ish evening time? Should be cooler then; and if you catch the magic hour of 7pm +/- 1/2 hr there could be interesting sunset-lit and later dusk skies...

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    The blue of a clear evening sky around 7+ can be very nice too.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    新加坡
    Posts
    1,601

    Default Re: need advise for night portrait..

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Studio shoots are more difficult to control as if u don't know how to control lighting, results can be disastrous.
    oh izit... look like so got lotsa things to learn in photography...

    Quote Originally Posted by ah.zeep View Post
    Mebbe try not a completely-night-shoot, but late-ish evening time? Should be cooler then; and if you catch the magic hour of 7pm +/- 1/2 hr there could be interesting sunset-lit and later dusk skies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    The blue of a clear evening sky around 7+ can be very nice too.
    so 7pm+ is the golden time for night shooting...
    我只是個陌生人 =x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •