Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: How do stabilize a tele lens?

  1. #1
    Member hlw8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in heartland
    Posts
    627

    Question How do stabilize a tele lens?

    besides using a tripod or monopod, is there any tip to prevent shakes for long focal lengths (ie. 200-300mm) that is suitable for normal daily usage?

    or u all will tend to choose lens with VR/IS or F2.8 to counter shake?

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    I just switch on the SSS in my camera.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by hlw8888 View Post
    besides using a tripod or monopod, is there any tip to prevent shakes for long focal lengths (ie. 200-300mm) that is suitable for normal daily usage?

    or u all will tend to choose lens with VR/IS or F2.8 to counter shake?
    Depends on how low your lighting is. If it's very low, even VR/IS or even f/2.8 is useless. Your best bet is still the tripod.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  4. #4
    Member hlw8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in heartland
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    if no stabilization built into the camera leh?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by hlw8888 View Post
    if no stabilization built into the camera leh?
    If u've no tripod with u, u may want to lean against a wall or rest the lens on a parapet. Some of my friends improvise a flash bracket and use it as a shoulder rest for support.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #6
    Member hlw8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in heartland
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    If u've no tripod with u, u may want to lean against a wall or rest the lens on a parapet. Some of my friends improvise a flash bracket and use it as a shoulder rest for support.
    hmmm... interesting idea.

    u have any pics of the setup?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by hlw8888 View Post
    hmmm... interesting idea.

    u have any pics of the setup?
    I don't have cos i don't do like that.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    Get creative... Anything can become a tripod.

    Even a screw and a long piece of string can help...
    Alpha

  9. #9
    Member hlw8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in heartland
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Get creative... Anything can become a tripod.

    Even a screw and a long piece of string can help...
    i saw that video b4. is it really useful?

    is it any screw that have the same size as the tripod hole that can liao or must buy the screw from camera shops one ah?

  10. #10

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by hlw8888 View Post
    i saw that video b4. is it really useful?

    is it any screw that have the same size as the tripod hole that can liao or must buy the screw from camera shops one ah?
    You can get the fitting screw anywhere.
    Alpha

  11. #11

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    i use f/2.8 to counter shake but again it all depends on lighting.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Upper Thomson
    Posts
    422

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    is the anti shake of the sony dslr, really that good?! hahaha. i'm unconvinced lehh. HA.

  13. #13

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by frametology View Post
    is the anti shake of the sony dslr, really that good?! hahaha. i'm unconvinced lehh. HA.
    Yeah, 2.5-4 stops easy. Proven in third-party tests.
    Alpha

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Upper Thomson
    Posts
    422

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    damn. like that every single lens got IS!!! hahaha. not bad ah, but then again, KM and sony lenses are quite ex right?

    oh well. too bad i don't like the make (feel) of the camera. not nice to hold, to me, personal preference lah. haha.

  15. #15

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by frametology View Post
    damn. like that every single lens got IS!!! hahaha. not bad ah, but then again, KM and sony lenses are quite ex right?

    oh well. too bad i don't like the make (feel) of the camera. not nice to hold, to me, personal preference lah. haha.

    1. Yes, it meant every lens has IS. Same for Olympus and Pentax.

    2. KM lenses are cheap; Sony lenses are ex in SG, but cheap outside SG. Most Sony lenses are actually the same price as the C and N counterparts, some cheaper, some more ex. Plus Sony also has the G and CZ AF lenses.

    3. To me the ergonomics were perfect which is why I chose Sony. To each their own
    Alpha

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Upper Thomson
    Posts
    422

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    1. Yes, it meant every lens has IS. Same for Olympus and Pentax.

    2. KM lenses are cheap; Sony lenses are ex in SG, but cheap outside SG. Most Sony lenses are actually the same price as the C and N counterparts, some cheaper, some more ex. Plus Sony also has the G and CZ AF lenses.

    3. To me the ergonomics were perfect which is why I chose Sony. To each their own
    hmm. so where do you get your lenses? anyway, the G and CZ lenses made for sony, are they from the original factories? or like licensed by them to external parties?

    from what i heard (some sales man told me), all these are just marketing gimmicks, all hao siao, just to ride on the brand name. but since you're a user, are the lenses good? better than L glass?

    yah. to each his own. everyone's hand is different.

  17. #17

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by frametology View Post
    hmm. so where do you get your lenses? anyway, the G and CZ lenses made for sony, are they from the original factories? or like licensed by them to external parties?

    from what i heard (some sales man told me), all these are just marketing gimmicks, all hao siao, just to ride on the brand name. but since you're a user, are the lenses good? better than L glass?

    yah. to each his own. everyone's hand is different.
    I usually get my lenses from HK. The G lenses are Minolta, and are still made in the same Minolta factory. The CZ lenses are made in Japan using equipment and QA from Germany.

    Most L glass is also very good. CZ and G lenses are not just a marketing gimmick. They're seriously (noticeably) great glass.
    Alpha

  18. #18

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    But, enough OT... If you really want to know more about the A-mount, feel free to post in the Sony section. TS: Realistically the best and cheapest option you have a is a tripod/monopod. You don't need to slurge on a super expensive one either.
    Alpha

  19. #19

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    Try a bean bag!

    I got one made by my gf with an piece of old jeans cloth and rice, can just put it in the camera bag and go everywhere.

    The problem is that u must find something stable to put the bean bag on.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakeside, Singapore
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: How do stabilize a tele lens?

    I use the VRII in my 200mm Nikkor lens and it seems to work very well. Basically you need to take what you can get. Just use every precaution you can and take several shots of each composition, that way you drastically increase your chances of getting one keeper.
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •