Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filter choice?

Default Re: Filter choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman1709 View Post
    Currently I see 2 diferrent schools of thought about putting a filter on the lens as a protective filter. One of the two says that: "what's the point of putting a 20 bucks filter on a delicate 1000 bucks lens". The other advocate the use of filter.
    Personally, I don't use filters except going to beaches.
    how about another school of though for "Put the best filter on the best lens" seems like most people doing this?

i guess most prob i'll get a b+w too..
    must save up more!!

Quote Originally Posted by wdEvA View Post
    how about another school of though for "Put the best filter on the best lens" seems like most people doing this?
    Don't know if most people do that, but I think most will agree that if you're going to put a filter in front of your lens, go for the best filter if you care about IQ. Personally I prefer using the hood (unless using direct flash) to prevent the front element from being touched. Even if you're using the filter, I recommend use the hood whenever possible.

I don't see the point of putting a cheap filter in front of a cheap lens. Why degrade the IQ? And if lens is cheap, why bother with filter?

BTW I sold my 28-75 after getting my 24-105. Couldn't justify keeping both lenses around - I never used the Tamron after getting the L. I miss the f/2.8 occasionally, but I find the increased range much more useful when chasing kids around outdoors. My 10-22 on the other hand gets a lot of use as well in cities and indoors.

It's called the 'L-Virus'
    Hmm...I don't know about you but I see it as buy only what you need? The L may be "branded" in the sense, but if a cheaper lens currently serves you well, then you can always use the funds on other useful stuff.

Having said that, if you've already placed your order, I guess just enjoy it, but keep that thought in mind. It's a good practice to have. Many things are desirable, but if we give in to desire every single time...yeah stuff happens. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Hmm...I don't know about you but I see it as buy only what you need? The L may be "branded" in the sense, but if a cheaper lens currently serves you well, then you can always use the funds on other useful stuff.

Having said that, if you've already placed your order, I guess just enjoy it, but keep that thought in mind. It's a good practice to have. Many things are desirable, but if we give in to desire every single time...yeah stuff happens. Haha.
    hmm, so i guess u'll choose a HDB over a condo, toyota over a Benz?
    Haha. the main factor is the extra range as well as the IQ difference.
    I love the f2.8 on the tamron. But the range and IQ is on the heavier side of the scale at the moment.

Will sell the tamron off, and if i need the bokeh, most prob i'll look for a 50mm f1.8 in the 2nd hand market =)

For a lens at 62mm..
    which filter is the best to protect the lens and maybe remove certain glares?

and if yes..how much?

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
    For a lens at 62mm..
    which filter is the best to protect the lens and maybe remove certain glares?

and if yes..how much?
    For protection, look for a UV filter or a NC (from Nikon)

For removal of glare, consider using a CPL.

Price depends on the brand you want to buy...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Want to protect the lens..
    Big asset
    Seems like everyone is buying Hoya filters..
    How much would it be for the uv filter?

hmm, so i guess u'll choose a HDB over a condo, toyota over a Benz?
    Haha. the main factor is the extra range as well as the IQ difference.
    I love the f2.8 on the tamron. But the range and IQ is on the heavier side of the scale at the moment.

Will sell the tamron off, and if i need the bokeh, most prob i'll look for a 50mm f1.8 in the 2nd hand market =)
    yar, different people have different priorities in life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12