Thread: not a newbie but it has been quite sometime

Default not a newbie but it has been quite sometime

Hi, just rejoin clubsnap after many years as I have been taking many photos lately and a lot of things still not sure, need to ask the expert here.

right now, got two questions for all the sifus.

1. I am using my office's Nikon D70 (two years old) to take some indoor events and the flash used is a Sunpak auto 36 FD which was meant for the old analog Nikon F301. However, some of the pictures turn out overexposed. I tried using Irfanview to adjust but result not so good, so any other softwares or links that I can go to adjust the overexposed picture? Or links where I can learn to adjust the overexposed pictures. Result no need to be super fantastic but acceptable for the common people.

2. On a similar note, any recommendation for a foolproof flash that can be use on my office's Nikon D70?

many thnks.

Default Re: not a newbie but it has been quite sometime

depends on how much over exposed cause if there is detail loss then there is very little that any programme can do. i use picasa at the moment pretty decent stuff.

as for flash? fool proff would be sb 600 lar ttl dun worry alr lar!
    nikon d700 nikkor 50mm f1.4 nikkor 55mm micro ais f2.8 nikkor 35 f2 sb 600 sb800 leica m4

SB800 is the only way to go if you shoot alot of events, found its output much more consistent as compared to the 600. Also, for editing, LightRoom or Photoshop would be what I would recommend, even for simple highlight recoveries.

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    SB800 is the only way to go if you shoot alot of events, found its output much more consistent as compared to the 600. Also, for editing, LightRoom or Photoshop would be what I would recommend, even for simple highlight recoveries.

dude. of course i would recommend these too! i too would love an 800 ad i too would love photoshop and lightroom. but these cost $$.

not being rude or anything and no offence meant but need to see where the bro is coming from. he is using his offices d70 with a sunpak flash. i think he is looking for images better than a Pns but not pro.

even he says "Result no need to be super fantastic but acceptable for the common people."

thus i dont see the need for him to get a 600 dollar flash and software that cost even more money. (of course im talking about legal versions here) which brings the cost of his flash and editing to cost more than his camera body!

be to be fair, what wildstallion said is definitely true, depending on your editing needs photoshop and lightroom give different advantages. lightroom is like superduper doped up picasa which gives u speed, organisation and editing flexibitly. photoshop is more one image at a time with a lot of tools.

the sb800 is also more powerful consistent and has more functions.
    nikon d700 nikkor 50mm f1.4 nikkor 55mm micro ais f2.8 nikkor 35 f2 sb 600 sb800 leica m4

Im just giving the best and most cost effective items for long term shooting. I started out with a D70 too.

Quote Originally Posted by shootnshoot View Post
    Hi, just rejoin clubsnap after many years as I have been taking many photos lately and a lot of things still not sure, need to ask the expert here.

right now, got two questions for all the sifus.

1. I am using my office's Nikon D70 (two years old) to take some indoor events and the flash used is a Sunpak auto 36 FD which was meant for the old analog Nikon F301. However, some of the pictures turn out overexposed. I tried using Irfanview to adjust but result not so good, so any other softwares or links that I can go to adjust the overexposed picture? Or links where I can learn to adjust the overexposed pictures. Result no need to be super fantastic but acceptable for the common people.

2. On a similar note, any recommendation for a foolproof flash that can be use on my office's Nikon D70?

many thnks.
    I have found that digital photography is not very tolerant on pictures that are too overexposed or too underexposed. When you try to adjust digitally, the results are not very nice. You can use Picasa and use the filtered effects to see how much you want to bring exposure down.

It'll be good to also work on getting the exposure right. If the flash overexposes, you can bring your flash compensation down (not sure if your flash has that function) or adjust the distance down. You can also try using the inbuilt D70 flash (though not very powerful), which would already have TTL. If the results are still bad, you can try getting the SB400. It should suffice for general use.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

share my exp hor...

i oso using an old skool manual flash wif my Pentax... i will manually underexpose on my cam... usually exp compensation of -1.0 to -2.0... then adjust the flash output.. trial-n-error ah... play wif it a few days, now i roughly know alr.... haha...
    Pentax K100D Super