Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

  1. #1

    Default help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    HELP now is getting from worst to worst! not some light scratch/stain on the cmos camera sensor! i spot dust and try blower but can't blow off and decide to use cotton bud and when i use the canon EOS manual cleaning and mirror flip up , i use the cotton bud and check if theres any hard mini sharp articles and before i clean its free of sharp items and after i notice i try to clean the sensor it become like sratch/stain! which i donno is scratc or stain! and this camera is only 2weeks old 400D what should i do? send to cleaning at canon? will it affect any of my pictures? i use F9 onwards i can see the dust and F20+ i can see the scratch!

  2. #2
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    lowpass filter in older dslr without anti dust is glass, so using cotton on it not problem at all.

    my guess is the anti dust screen on newer body is not glass, so better sent to csc.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  3. #3

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    ...wow, did you just pwn yourself?

    you HAVE to get much higher quality cotton buds to clean your sensor than the common variety that is available at the supermarket.. those would cost slightly more at certain pharmacies. haven't gotten new ones in a while so not sure where to get them now.
    next, checking visually to check whether there are sharp objects is NOT ENOUGH
    you have to use a blower to blow it for quite a while, BEFORE using sensor cleaning liquid to lessen the chances of stray fibres being left behind on your sensor and getting dragged around. even then, take note of the type of sensor cleaning fluid that has to be used - best to buy eclipse from visible solutions, they have 2 versions, one for something to do with tin-oxide in certain models, one is for older models. it seems that if you use sensor cleaning fluid on your 400d you have to use e2 instead of original eclipse.

    that said, i won't worry too much about "scratching" the sensor per se, it is most likely a fibre left behind by your fooling around.

    the stain could also be because of various reasons - perhaps you touched the cotton bud tip before you used it, perhaps whatever cotton bud you are using has some chemicals on the tip.. in any case you display a lack of confidence in handling sensor cleaning - i suspect later on if we do not suggest that you leave it to techs there will be more threads in future with possibly more severe problems (like using too much sensor fluid and letting it go UNDERNEATH the filter.. loads of things can go wrong with wet cleaning). it is probably best you send it in to canon, and see what happens; if you have scratched your sensor you must have really, really missed out big time on some particles on the tip.. though of course the filter covering the sensor isn't *quite* that easy to scratch, honestly.

    read more here
    Last edited by night86mare; 26th April 2008 at 11:05 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    thnks for all the replies but what is low past filter? i only know when i use manual cleaning the mirror flip up and seeing only a green piece of glass or plastic? the sensor i use f stop 36 and took on a white paper/background i can see clearly but on fstop 4.5 i don see the dust/stain/scratch spot well will be sending to canon tml and hope they help just 2 weeks old and i still need the camera for my school assigment i hate my itchy hand

  5. #5

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    Quote Originally Posted by hammiepie View Post
    thnks for all the replies but what is low past filter? i only know when i use manual cleaning the mirror flip up and seeing only a green piece of glass or plastic? the sensor i use f stop 36 and took on a white paper/background i can see clearly but on fstop 4.5 i don see the dust/stain/scratch spot well will be sending to canon tml and hope they help just 2 weeks old and i still need the camera for my school assigment i hate my itchy hand
    f/36? that's too hardcore

    use f/22 or so.

    if you can see the spot at f/11 it is serious, if not you will hardly ever use anything beyond f/13

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    Relax, man. If you don't try, you won't be able to do it at all.

    http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

    You need to practice cleaning your sensors, unless you got lots of time to visit the tech anytime. You might think you have scratch the sensor, but as night86mare says, its probably microfibers there. Get proper tools and then practice cleaning the sensor. Just be very careful and gentle.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    998

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    there is lenspen for sensor. you can get from the usual camera shops. cathay has it.

    cotton bud?! you really don't like your camera's sensor or what?
    except for those specifically sold for such purpose, never use your 'cosmetic' type cotton buds. those fibres are quite stiff and are not
    combed fibres.
    Last edited by nikkie; 29th April 2008 at 10:50 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    Quote Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
    there is lenspen for sensor. you can get from the usual camera shops. cathay has it.

    cotton bud?! you really don't like your camera's sensor or what?
    except for those specifically sold for such purpose, never use your 'cosmetic' type cotton buds. those fibres are quite stiff and are not
    combed fibres.
    actually, cotton buds are theoretically fine

    but obviously when you're using it to clean an expensive piece of equipment, you would want to get better quality ones (for medical purposes, usually).. for peace of mind. for me is mainly worry that there are weird chemicals on the cheap types of cotton buds that might do damage. and one con is that you will have to spend more time covering the entire area compared to using a sensor swab/pec pad

  9. #9

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    thx guys, got it fixed with canon hmm they know i dont do it on purpose so they foc for me and say don do self cleaning again bring back when its serious! canon service is good!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    993

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    Quote Originally Posted by hammiepie View Post
    thx guys, got it fixed with canon hmm they know i dont do it on purpose so they foc for me and say don do self cleaning again bring back when its serious! canon service is good!
    :P lucky for you

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,417

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    Quote Originally Posted by hammiepie View Post
    thx guys, got it fixed with canon hmm they know i dont do it on purpose so they foc for me and say don do self cleaning again bring back when its serious! canon service is good!
    Still I don't get the idea what the heck you need to do inside the cam after 2 weeks. Do you think they produce cameras somewhere at the roadside with open windows? I have my cam now for more than 2 years and it has seen volcano from top and dusty roads and splashing sea. I also changed lenses there. Just today I tested and found about 5..6 dust spots at a test picture using f/22. After a good minute using a blower with the opening facing down it's all clean and nice again.
    Although the lesson was 'foc' for you I hope you have learned it well.

  12. #12

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Still I don't get the idea what the heck you need to do inside the cam after 2 weeks. Do you think they produce cameras somewhere at the roadside with open windows? I have my cam now for more than 2 years and it has seen volcano from top and dusty roads and splashing sea. I also changed lenses there. Just today I tested and found about 5..6 dust spots at a test picture using f/22. After a good minute using a blower with the opening facing down it's all clean and nice again.
    Although the lesson was 'foc' for you I hope you have learned it well.
    give him a break la. he's new. and probably worrying about how to take care of a DSLR.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    Quote Originally Posted by skopio View Post
    give him a break la. he's new. and probably worrying about how to take care of a DSLR.
    Yeah, but there can be a case of over zealousness. I never need to clean my sensor until 10mths of use. and my sensor is the old non self cleaning type.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  14. #14

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    We all need a chance to learn.

    Good thing no damage was done.

    Having said that, it was almost 2+ years before i did my first high-pass cleaning.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    We all need a chance to learn.

    Good thing no damage was done.

    Having said that, it was almost 2+ years before i did my first high-pass cleaning.
    neccessity is the mother of inventions....in this case, DIY...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  16. #16
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    Cotton bud is not a good idea bro, the fibre may get left behind on your your sensor.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  17. #17

    Default Re: help use ear bud cotton to clear dust on cmos lens

    Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Yeah, but there can be a case of over zealousness. I never need to clean my sensor until 10mths of use. and my sensor is the old non self cleaning type.
    so is mine. =) just blow when you see dust spots. if don't have, don't need to so kiasu blow dust in. no need for routine cleaning.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •