Thread: sunset at boat quay

Default sunset at boat quay

eos d60 at 55mm, 25/04, 1830hr.

initially wanted to catch the boat lower to the bottom frame and to the right of the sun's reflection in the water. but since it is sunset, maybe this position is better?

need comment on the position of the boat pls. thanks.
    Last edited by denniskee; 26th April 2008 at 04:26 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Default Re: sunset at boat quay

not quite sure about the choice of wb here, there seems like there is a slight weird colouration in the clouds, but it is not impossible i guess.

probably not the best of timings or choice of boat location - the boat is far too close to the riverbank for comfort, if it was shifted a teeny weeny bit lower it would have been better. other than these two points, i think this is a pretty decent shot considering all factors.

thanks night86mare

would like to know your opinion of the placement of the boat to the left or right of the sun's reflection?

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    thanks night86mare

would like to know your opinion of the placement of the boat to the left or right of the sun's reflection?
    if you're talking about this frame alone, i think right is good.

left would be a little too close to the center for comfort, and while that can work, it will not work here

Since there are so much discussions on the boat position, Dennis, I suggest you go back there and do a re-shoot. I'm sure there'll be a time with the same occurance, in which the boat might be travelling to the "best" position and the weather might be more spectacular. You might wanna try converting the image to B&W and duo-toned it to add some warmth in it.

Well that's all I can say abt it. Hope it helps.

Careful about the burn outs in the sky and water, which I usually hate. Might be worth to wait a little longer to get a different skyline.

Just my view.

one shud always be carefull about burn outs in the sky and water like mrjet lim said.......he hit nail on its head sunsets or sunrises shud create a peaceful and a pleasant mood on the viewerswith this sunset pic i need to reach out for my goggles

would using star filter give glitter effect? but i am afraid it will soften the overall image.

not sure, but should be, since star filter works on concentrated sources of light, it does look very artificial though; most of the time it doesn't work

an alternative is to use small apertures.. but that means lengthening exposure timing unless you bump up iso or the speed is still sufficient to freeze motion of the boat

Aye bro,

I duno, but I had this idea of catching the boat in the reflection of the sun. What do you reckon? Right now it's in quite a nice spot, but like night86mare said, I'd prefer if it were a bit further from the bank.

In terms of exposure, I think it is okay to have a bit of burn out in the sky, considering it is not an HDR image and you would lose all shadow detail (thus creating a silhouette; perhaps it is an option to consider?) to ensure the sun is not burnt out. This may involve underexposing from the current settings to maybe two or three stops under. I'm not sure how much detail will remain. There will definitely be a compromise to get some shadow detail without blowing out the highlights. I think over here the compromise is met quite well. After all, no human sees a sun as just one small orange spot. It looks pretty blown out to us too.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    not sure, but should be, since star filter works on concentrated sources of light, it does look very artificial though; most of the time it doesn't work

an alternative is to use small apertures.. but that means lengthening exposure timing unless you bump up iso or the speed is still sufficient to freeze motion of the boat
    sorry, i dont understand,

"not sure, but should be" is referring to the glittering effect or referring to softening of the whole image or both?

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    sorry, i dont understand,

"not sure, but should be" is referring to the glittering effect or referring to softening of the whole image or both?
    oh, i meant glittering effect

but it will soften the whole image as well, only if you pixel peep though

at web size, no issue

might also introduce flare problems, along with funny marks if your filter isn't clean