Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac book pro or HP core2dual laptop?

Default Re: Mac book pro or HP core2dual laptop?

It all boils down to which platform you are more comfortable working with.

Just get a Mac. And you can boot up with it in either Mac OS or Windows. This way it's like having two computers and you can flip between which ever platform you choose for whatever. You don't have that option with a pc.
    Andre
    To Go Where No Man Has Gone Before :cool:

Hi ive,

just read all the replys about this 2 machine mac book pro or the HP Laptop...
    just be practical even your using a cheaper machine as long as it serve the purpose

im using a cheaper machine but for me its okay... its better you invest more in your lens

even me im just using a acer laptop and im happy with the performance

Get a MBP. You won't regret it. If your copy of CS is for Windows, then boot up your MBP in Windows for the time being, until you next decide to buy the next version of CS. There are many reviews out there that says that similar specs Mac can run Windows faster than a PC.

If hard disk space is not a concern, then you might also want to consider the MacBook Air. Similar price range as MBP.

Quote Originally Posted by waiyean View Post
    Get a MBP. You won't regret it. If your copy of CS is for Windows, then boot up your MBP in Windows for the time being, until you next decide to buy the next version of CS. There are many reviews out there that says that similar specs Mac can run Windows faster than a PC.
    I'm curious which are the reviews that point this out...

Quote Originally Posted by waiyean View Post
    If hard disk space is not a concern, then you might also want to consider the MacBook Air. Similar price range as MBP.
    I do not believe the Air is a good option for Photoshop... it is limited to 2GB of RAM, it runs pretty hot, the hard drive is very slow unless you pick the very expensive and limited capacity solid state drive, and the processor is pretty slow as well... its not the Air's niche...

Quote Originally Posted by charmingorion View Post
    hi,
    yes it is right that the desktop is very much better than a laptop interms of speed. However, i'm looking for something more portable. One that allows me to take around when i am travelling overseas. The current one that i have is huge...15.4" wide screen. man....that is heavy plus huge to carry around.

It seems like it is rather obvious that i'll be getting a windows OS laptop. I'm looking at the DELL XPS and HP dv 2775tx model. Both cost the same S$2600. So.....any suggestions on these 2 brands?

Thanks!
    The macbook is 2.2kg, while the Macbook Pro is 2.4kg. Though the Pro only 0.2kg heavier but it's significantly larger, even for the 15".
    If you want a more portable laptop, get other brands better.

As theRBK has said, the MacBook Air is not built for photoshopping.

Get the MacBook only if you wanna look cool.

I will suggest getting macbook pro or imac instead of a pc laptop. why? No worry for compatible issues all mac now can use either mac os x or windows xp if it is service pack 2/3, vista 32 or 64 bit same for xp. Not like pc whereby you are restricted to only windows. And mac also comes with third party softwares allowing using windows side by side with mac os x. Since apple introduce intel macs there are alot of options to use your mac as compared before. It is no longer like last time.

Quote Originally Posted by ilario View Post
    If you have the budget, get the cheapest Macbook Pro, go to Sim Lim Square and max out its DDR2-667 RAM to 4 gigs. Otherwise, for CS3 i would recommend you to get the stronger standard Macbook instead as both mac screens are TN panels, its smaller and cheaper, and the Graphics Processing Unit does almost nothing to the performance of photoshop and stuff. Never rely on a laptop screen; for serious work get a good quality desktop monitor to mount ur laptop with. Thus, i recommend a macbook with 4gigs of RAM from sim lim. You won't even exceed 2k

PS forgot to answer your question, why get a macbook: More stable, less downtime, mac laptops work very intuitively. You'll love how the whole system integrates with adobe's software with flawless drag and drop and other features, very integrated.
    Yes, the Macbook screen is better than most PC laptop
    except the Sony VIAO series. These 2 are the best notebook screen around.

I would get the MBP over the Sony as Sony still struggles with Quality problems.
    Mac seems to have greater reliability.

Also One greater problem for me is the heat at the palm rest area of the notebooks.
    This is where most have their harddisk. MBP 15in managed to placed it near the keyboard, so that gets my vote.

if you are looking at screens, the Asus G series have some of the best screens I have seen in any laptop... and pretty beefy specs as well...

don't know why it is essential to be able to run more than one OS... I don't find myself restricted in terms of software available to only one OS...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    I'm curious which are the reviews that point this out...

I do not believe the Air is a good option for Photoshop... it is limited to 2GB of RAM, it runs pretty hot, the hard drive is very slow unless you pick the very expensive and limited capacity solid state drive, and the processor is pretty slow as well... its not the Air's niche...
    The MacBook Air is too stylish and not useful enough for professional uses at this point. I can see a time when all Apple laptop computers will be based on a similar design but not today. MacBook Air is perfect for someone with an iPhone or iPod touch, though, who just wants to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    The macbook is 2.2kg, while the Macbook Pro is 2.4kg. Though the Pro only 0.2kg heavier but it's significantly larger, even for the 15".
    If you want a more portable laptop, get other brands better.

As theRBK has said, the MacBook Air is not built for photoshopping.

Get the MacBook only if you wanna look cool.

The MacBook Pro also has better resolution than the average 15.4 inch display. Even the MacBook matches the 1280x800 that most of the 15.4 inch machines have. I don't understand why people complain about the MacBook Pro being heavy, as the Windows machines finally transitioned from much heavier machines with Pentium 4 processors.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    if you are looking at screens, the Asus G series have some of the best screens I have seen in any laptop... and pretty beefy specs as well...

don't know why it is essential to be able to run more than one OS... I don't find myself restricted in terms of software available to only one OS...
    Asus machines cost about the same or more than Apple machines in the U.S.A. (It's about the same for other premium machines.) Isn't that true there?

I'm not sure people need to run two operating systems but a lot of people don't want to pay for software and there is a lot of pirated software for Windows, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    The MacBook Pro also has better resolution than the average 15.4 inch display. Even the MacBook matches the 1280x800 that most of the 15.4 inch machines have. I don't understand why people complain about the MacBook Pro being heavy, as the Windows machines finally transitioned from much heavier machines with Pentium 4 processors.
    are you comparing the current MBPs against old heavier machines with Pentium 4 processors?

i am running an acer amd 2ghz x2 processor ,3gb ram ,128mb dedicated graphics and a 160gb hdd with photoshop cs3 and even lightroom everything seems to be smooth ever since the day i bought it in january hope that could be some thoughts for u
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    are you comparing the current MBPs against old heavier machines with Pentium 4 processors?

Yes and no. Not since prior to Apple's Titanium PowerBooks (2001?) have Apple had a truly heavy machine and yet, people complain that the machines are heavy. It seems odd. Only recently have the Windows machines become lighter but they're almost all rather large as well as often low in included equipment. Those that are small and light usually have optical drives removed.

I'm surprised that the MacBook Pro's higher resolution is not a factor. Even my PowerBook from 2004/2005 has higher resolution than most current Windows 15.4 inch displays. Is not a higher level worth a little weight?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12