Thread: What is the difference betwwen a zoom lens, a wide angel lens and a telephoto lens.

Default What is the difference betwwen a zoom lens, a wide angel lens and a telephoto lens.

I want to know is there any difference between leaving a 24-85mm zoom lens at 24 mm and a 24 mm wide angel lens. Also the said zoom lens at 85 mm and a 85 mm telephoto lens. Is there any difference between them? (Says the image quality and so on...)

And I also want to know about the image quality difference between a zoom lens with a long focal length range (says 18 - 200 mm) and one with a short range (says 17-35mm).

Thank you very much.

Default Re: What is the difference betwwen a zoom lens, a wide angel lens and a telephoto len

generally (though not for all lenses):

primes (1 focal length) are better than zoom lenses, and zoom lenses with short focal length ranges are better than zooms with long focal length ranges

this is terms of aperture (max.), distortion control, image quality (IQ), presence of chromatic abberations etc.

of course there are instances when a zoom lens is better than a prime, for example many would argue that the nikon 17-35 f/2.8 is better than many nikon primes (24 f/2.8, 28 f/2.8 etc)

although price difference shld be also taken into account

hope this helps

Default Re: What is the difference betwwen a zoom lens, a wide angel lens and a telephoto len

I think I get the picture now. Thank you very much.