Thread: display calibration - too cool?

Default display calibration - too cool?

i just invested in a gretagmacbeth display calibrator / huey and did a calibration on my laptop screen after 'warming-up' the screen for an hour.

i find the calibrated display to be too cool and has a green cast. my room's light source is a flourescent tube on the ceiling.

right now, i'm not sure how to work on my photos with the new display. should i use the calibration software to adjust the color to warm setting (instead of neutral) which i find more pleasing? i'm worried that i may overdo the colours of my photos due to the calibration.

any help would be much appreciated.

Default Re: display calibration - too cool?

Did you do the calibration in almost total darkness. It is normal to have a bit of green cast, but it is overwhelming then you might have problem with your Huey. I had the Huey pro and face the same problem. Since then I've switched to Eye One Display 2. No such problem.
    A camera cannot teach you how to see.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Did you do the calibration in almost total darkness. It is normal to have a bit of green cast, but it is overwhelming then you might have problem with your Huey. I had the Huey pro and face the same problem. Since then I've switched to Eye One Display 2. No such problem.
    thanks JamesW. i did it with the lights off and enabled the function to 'adjust for ambient light'. so if the green cast is normal, should i adjust the colours on my photos normally or should i take into consideration the of the green cast and go easy with warm tones?

You can download this test image to check http://www.mediafire.com/?zno1lzxtjxj

Look at the skin tones and grey scales to see if they look natural to you
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Do try it on another monitor/computer to see if there's a problem with the calibrator.

I had an eyeone display 2 that died on me, caused everything to look horribly wrong.

does it look too cool and greenish in a totally dark room? if so, it might be the room lighting condition...

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    You can download this test image to check http://www.mediafire.com/?zno1lzxtjxj

Look at the skin tones and grey scales to see if they look natural to you
    thanks for the test image. the grey scales were off, green cast on everything

Quote Originally Posted by enivre View Post
    Do try it on another monitor/computer to see if there's a problem with the calibrator.

I had an eyeone display 2 that died on me, caused everything to look horribly wrong.
    good advice, i've stopped using the calibrator for now.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    does it look too cool and greenish in a totally dark room? if so, it might be the room lighting condition...
    yes, with the lights off, there was still a green cast.

right now, i've reset my display to factory defaults and used adobe gamma for a monitor colour profile. i'll use another display to check the calibration again. hope its not a calibrator error. thanks for all the advice

this is what looks correct on my display now (using adobe gamma). does it look right on your screens? any colour cast?

thanks

Looks quite corect to me.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

does Eye One Display 2 causes conflict with ATI Radeon GFX cards? Spyder profiling tools have this issue and I really hate it.
    Having expensive gears do not make you a better photographer. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iboey View Post
    does Eye One Display 2 causes conflict with ATI Radeon GFX cards? Spyder profiling tools have this issue and I really hate it.
    not aware of this problem but i can hardly find any support for my display calibrator. my laptop's display adaptor is a ATI Radeon integrated adaptor. know any site that discusses this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by headfonz View Post
    not aware of this problem but i can hardly find any support for my display calibrator. my laptop's display adaptor is a ATI Radeon integrated adaptor. know any site that discusses this issue?
    Just to share some thoughts (I'm using Eye One Display 2 with an ATI X1600):

There's no problem with the ATI drivers, but make sure to prevent CLI.exe from starting up - as if it does, it'll reset your profile, even when it's loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG View Post
    Just to share some thoughts (I'm using Eye One Display 2 with an ATI X1600):

There's no problem with the ATI drivers, but make sure to prevent CLI.exe from starting up - as if it does, it'll reset your profile, even when it's loaded.
    thanks, i'll try this out

Another recommended choice is Spyder3Pro. Working extremely fine for me.

Look at your display calibrator preference - click on the icon at the taskbar, try chosing warm and see if that is better.
    Shahrul Esa

I had a similar problem of a very obvious green cast when using default settings on my spyder2pro. Last time I calibrated I let the colorimeter measure the white and black luminescence points and then go ahead with the calibration. That gave me much better results with absolutely no green cast whatsoever. Your calibrator also might be having some similar options. It also helps if you can adjust the color temperature close to the intended color temperature.

raghu