Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SIA Steward Slapping: Let Off with Warning

Default Re: SIA Steward Slapping: Let Off with Warning

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    so - if the merlion is defaced, as opposed to a hdb void deck being vandalised, i assume that people here will demand that the perpetuator will have his limbs chopped off as opposed to the usual fine.

because wow, national icons deserve different treatment!
    Is that CEO a considered a national icon?

Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    Is that CEO a considered a national icon?
    are you considered a national icon?

fyi

Quote Originally Posted by Straits Times
    Prosecution refuses to settle tycoon's wife slapping charge out of court
    By Elena Chong
    The couple arrived at the Subordinate Courts in Havelock Square in a BMW and they walked hand-in-in into the court room. -- ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW
    THE wife of a tycoon, who is charged with slapping a Singapore Airlines (SIA) stewardess, tried to settle the case out of court but this was turned down by the prosecution.

The lawyer for Tan Siew Hoon, 61, said this when she made a brief appearance in a District Court on Thursday.

Mr Ravinderpal Singh told Judge Shaiffudin Saruwan that he had written again to the prosecution to consider his 'representations', which are normally pleas to have charges withdrawn or reduced. He asked for the case to be adjourned to await a reply.

Tan is accused of voluntarily causing hurt to Ms Then Jiamin, 25, on board an SIA flight to Tokyo, on Sept 20 last year. She and her husband, Mr Wong Ngit Liong, 65, who is the chairman and CEO of Venture Corp, one of Singapore's biggest manufacturing firms, were in the business class cabin at the time.

If convicted, Tan can be jailed a year and fined $1,000.

Cases of voluntarily causing hurt can be settled out of court if the victim, prosecution and judge agree.

When her name was called, Tan walked up and stood next to the dock. She wore a plum V-necked shift dress that hugged her figure. Her husband sat in the public gallery.

The couple arrived at the Subordinate Courts in Havelock Square in a BMW and they walked hand-in-in into the court room. Tan recently settled a civil claim for unspecified damages for 'emotional and mental distress' filed by Ms Then.
    link

lalalalalala

A teacher accused of slapping a student while trying to restore order in a gym class is protected from battery charges by Indiana’s corporal punishment laws, the state Court of Appeals has ruled.

The ruling upholds a Marion County judge’s dismissal last year of the charges against Paula J. Fettig. In Tuesday’s 2-1 decision, Judge Patricia A. Riley wrote that none of the conflicting accounts of the incident amounts to cruel or excessive physical punishment.

A 15-year-old girl had accused Fettig, 39, of slapping her in January 2007 during a physical education class at Beech Grove High School.

Fettig said in an affidavit that she only gripped the girl by her chin as the student aided an injured classmate. The girl also was yelling profanities at students who were taunting the injured girl, Fettig said.

The girl ignored Fettig’s attempts to defuse the situation, so Fettig ‘‘reached toward her, turned her chin toward me, and told her to get up and ’go play,’’’ the teacher said in the affidavit.

A Marion County judge who dismissed a misdemeanor battery charge against Fettig said in that order that the teacher’s behavior was not excessive and that she had used ‘‘some measures of touching to restore order and redirect the focus of the class.’’

The appeals court relied in part on three 19th-century Indiana decisions overturning educators’ convictions to show that teachers have wide discretion in meting out discipline.

That reference point rankled, Judge James S. Kirsch, the lone dissenter among three judges.

‘‘The world has changed greatly since that time, and standards of student discipline have also changed greatly,’’ Kirsch wrote.

He agreed with Marion County prosecutors and the Indiana attorney general that a trial should determine whether Fettig used appropriate discipline.

Prosecutors have not decided whether to appeal the ruling.

Beech Grove High School’s principal reviewed the incident before the prosecutor filed the charge and decided against disciplining Fettig, who still works for the school district, said her attorney, John Kautzman.
    link
    Last edited by night86mare; 25th April 2008 at 09:32 AM.

so - if the merlion is defaced, as opposed to a hdb void deck being vandalised, i assume that people here will demand that the perpetuator will have his limbs chopped off as opposed to the usual fine.

because wow, national icons deserve different treatment!
    that depend .... i would say if a minister happened to walk past and accidently hit the merlion and the merlion collapsed and fell into the Singapore River, then Uniquely Singapore will have to accept that the minister is not at fault ..... it's the contractor's fault....
    Here,IMO, all ministers are icons.... boh sa la ...
    Last edited by Canonised; 25th April 2008 at 09:31 AM.
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    that depend .... i would say if a minister happened to walk past and accidently hit the merlion and the merlion collapsed and fell into the Singapore River, then Uniquely Singapore will have to accept that the minister is not at fault ..... it's the contractor's fault....
    Here,IMO, all ministers are icons.... boh sa la ...

how come unique singapore become owner of merlion?

i doubt you'd find any of our ministers defacing the merlion though.. maybe certain people who didn't manage to get voted in.. =D

retired police officers also very rich..

Man Who Yelled at Phone User Acquitted
    By SAMUEL MAULL

Associated Press Writer

A retired police officer who screamed obscenities at a train passenger who was talking on a cell phone and who hit the hand of another passenger who intervened was acquitted Tuesday of misdemeanor charges stemming from the confrontation.

John Clifford, who is also a lawyer, was found not guilty after a two-day nonjury trial at which he acted as his own attorney. He had been charged with misdemeanor counts of attempted assault, disorderly conduct, harassment and attempted petit larceny and had faced up to a year in jail if convicted.

Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Larry Stephen issued his verdict immediately after closing arguments: "I see no crimes having been committed beyond a reasonable doubt. The case is dismissed and sealed."

The 6-foot-4 Clifford acknowledged during trial that he was aggressive and overbearing when he approached Long Island Rail Road commuters he considered rude for talking too loudly on cell phones and for other behavior.

During trial, Clifford, 60, admitted cursing at Nicholas Bender, "a 19-year-old nitwit waking up one girlfriend after another," and slapping the hand of Lydia Klein after she slapped his when he reached for a business card she was handing Bender on the train from Long Beach to Manhattan's Pennsylvania Station on March 28, 2007.

Clifford, who retired as a police sergeant after 10 years on the job, said Tuesday he had been arrested eight times after being accused of throwing coffee, spewing expletives and getting in the faces of people whom he considered loud and rude on the commuter line. This was the only case that wasn't dismissed.

"It took a lawyer and an old ex-police sergeant to stand up to it (public rudeness)," Clifford, of Long Beach, said as he left court. He said that unless lawmakers and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority do something, the lack of public civility will persist.

Asked what he regretted about his behavior, Clifford replied, "Nothing."

He added, "I don't want anybody to think they can't have a private conversation (around me), but keep it private."

The LIRR issued a statement saying it was "disappointed" but accepted the judgment of the court.

"Some of our customers feel as if they have been abused by Mr. Clifford's behavior," the statement said. "We will not tolerate aggressive behavior by Mr. Clifford if he seeks to impose his own standards of conduct on others. We will not hesitate in the future to call on police if necessary to protect the safety of our customer and employees."

Meanwhile, Clifford, a lawyer since 1984, has filed five lawsuits against passengers and against the MTA, which runs the region's mass transit system, for issues arising from his reactions to rudeness.

Clifford, formerly a security staffer for HBO, was fired after being arrested several times in connection with his LIRR confrontations. He said he plans now to "hang out my shingle again" and practice law.
    link

still searching.. so far only got one person kena jailed in singapore for slapping her maid.. then the maid jump
    most cases that got punishment, you can do search yourselves.. all involve more stuff, like hitting people with broom la.. punching them as well..
    Last edited by night86mare; 25th April 2008 at 09:43 AM.

oh wow, so now you are advocating double standards because a sia stewardess is as you call it, a national carrier's flag bearer.

are you saying that a normal person deserves less, and JUST because a person is a "national carrier's flag bearer", she or he deserves more attention under the law?

under the law, all are equal.

in the ah pek example, let's face it, no one's going to sue him because he's going to only be able to give you enough for a month's supply of char kway teow.. and no doubt about it, sueing is all about the money. if you've actually considering sueing someone it isn't quite child's play as everybody who screams "SUE" would paint it out to be - legal expenses are undoubtedly expensive even if you get a third-grade lawyer, and the time and effort and publicity associated with it?

once again, i ask you, have you heard of ANYONE getting jailed because of slapping? if not, why do you think a "rich man's wife" warrants getting jailed or fined just because she's rich? to send out a message? unfortunately, the law is not about that; so take your own personal grievances with our "elite" that has been hyped up to high heaven by the media elsewhere too.
    Gawwwddd, can we get the "sue" thingy out of this? We're talking about the public prosecutor's case, not the gold-digger suing for money!!! You're confusing yourself, and me, and a lot of others

Your second point about has anyone gone to jail for slapping, now that carries merit. I don't know. I do agree that sure, jail's probably stiff. But just a warning?? That's what puzzles me. No community service? No other means of showing remorse?

Why does the law state "may be jailed up to one year"? Just say "will be given a STERN WARNING".

And I do agree about all being equal under the law (though God knows there's many who feel others are more equal than the rest, LOL!).

So my question is, is this a precedent ruling? Meaning, can I happily go about slapping folks who I feel have provoked me in some way, safe in the assumption that at most I'll get a stern warning by the courts (assuming of course I have a million or two to play with)?

That's all I'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    Your second point about has anyone gone to jail for slapping, now that carries merit. I don't know. I do agree that sure, jail's probably stiff. But just a warning?? That's what puzzles me. No community service? No other means of showing remorse?

Why does the law state "may be jailed up to one year"? Just say "will be given a STERN WARNING".

And I do agree about all being equal under the law (though God knows there's many who feel others are more equal than the rest, LOL!).

So my question is, is this a precedent ruling? Meaning, can I happily go about slapping folks who I feel have provoked me in some way, safe in the assumption that at most I'll get a stern warning by the courts (assuming of course I have a million or two to play with)?

That's all I'm asking.
    i am also curious..

glad that you are treating this cordially.. most clubsnappers will just happily make ad hominem attacks. kudos

i have been doing searches for personal interest.. there has never been isolated "just slapping".. the greatest number of searches involves maid abuse, actually.. and most "slapping only" incidents overseas in different courts of law, the people are acquitted for various reasons.. see above. btw.. the prosecution also reject the wife's appeal to settle the case out of court, but nothing mentioned about the judge's view.. maybe the prosecution have to agree before he says something.

only got ONE case seems like an employer slapped her maid.. the maid go and commit suicide by jupming off a building.. then that one kena jail for 2 weeks. but the circumstances very different, don't you think?

An Indonesian maid jumped to her death from a 19th-storey Queenstown flat on 4 Oct 2001 after she was slapped twice in two days by her employer's wife. CHAN Jin Mun, 32, who admitted slapping the maid, Madam Kesi Rusik, 28, was sentenced to two weeks' jail yesterday. (Straits Times 18 Dec 2002) (H8)
    Last edited by night86mare; 25th April 2008 at 09:53 AM.

Ya she needs a lot of vitamin M to recover Isn'tthe civil charge and the state charge different two separate case?
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    Ya she needs a lot of vitamin M to recover Isn'tthe civil charge and the state charge different two separate case?
    yes it is

Why was Tan charged even though the civil suit had been settled?

Lawyers said the reason is that civil cases are separate from criminal ones.

Mr Sunil Sudheesan, from law firm KhattarWong, said: 'A civil suit can be settled out of court, but it has no bearing on the criminal aspect of the case.

'A person can still be charged if it involves a criminal offence.'

Cases of voluntarily causing hurt involve less serious assault. The victim is required to make a magistrate's complaint first.

This is because a magistrate's authorisation is needed before the police can make an arrest or exercise full powers of investigation.

It is not known if Miss Then made a magistrate's complaint.

But Mr Sunil said that where road rage and air rage cases are concerned, the authorities take a stern view because there is significant public interest.

It is not necessary for the victim to file such a complaint because the police can apply for an order to investigate and make arrests.

The law also allows certain offences - such as voluntarily causing hurt, outrage of modesty and wrongful restraint - to be compounded after a person has been charged.

This is the equivalent of the accused being acquitted of the charge.

Mr Sunil said: 'Either the victim or prosecution can ask for the charge to be compounded, but the judge is the one with the final say.

'It may also involve the accused paying compensation and apologising to the victim.'

If the judge grants permission for the matter to be compounded, the accused will be given a discharge amounting to an acquittal. This means that he will not have a criminal record.
    link

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post

IMO, a symbolic 1-day jail is justified. But a warning? WTF
    Even someone throw a tissue/ cigar butt oso kanna sweep the ground in public

BTW, a STERN WARNING?... what's that? Like ..... aunti, dont anyhow slap ppl in public hor, ppl see, ppl complain, then no choice, next time maybe u go Changi chalet hor, u know.....?

yes it is

link
    Since its a different case so the Singapore law take on this case is that you can go around and slap people and just be given a warning Sweet !!! So the next time someone slap you don't think that you can keep quite and report police or sue him, Singapore law is useless here so slap them back....self defence
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

only got ONE case seems like an employer slapped her maid.. the maid go and commit suicide by jupming off a building.. then that one kena jail for 2 weeks. but the circumstances very different, don't you think?
    so are you saying that if that poor stewardess couldn't take it, went and committed suicide by jumping off the plane at Nagoya, then the ending of this case will be different?

If the slap leads to another situation then confirm ending will be different. It will be like ''slapping incident leads to the death of a Stewardess'' Like a tackle in football leads only to a penalty but if you broke his leg in the process then you will kana extra for rough play and get 3 match suspension.

are you considered a national icon?
    Yamapi like you is a great Kopitiam Icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Yamapi like you is a great Kopitiam Icon.
    I very shy leh

Quote Originally Posted by yamapi View Post
    I very shy leh
    Okay you can become The Pricess of Kopitiam.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    it is not assault if the one kanna slapped came back to say that it was only a minor incident and a misunderstanding, and withdraw all charges ...... even though she did claim that she cannot face life anymore in that incident and need lots of vitamins to recover ......
    i guess she is now laughing all the way to the bank.....
    There are differences in the law. This is a civil case, not a criminal case. In Civil law, the purpose is to sue for compensation or an injunction.

However, as mentioned earlier, the case here is really the public prosecutor pursueing the case as an assualt, which is a criminal case, where the purpose is to maintain law & order, so the penalty is for deterent, usually either fine or jail or both, depending on the severity of the case.

There are 2 separate case here actually, as far as it seems to me. The case that was settled out of court is the civil case, where the air stewardess sued for compensation. There is no details on that case though, except that there was money transacted, but they normally won't release such "news"..

BTW, I am not a Singapore lawyer.... so don't flame me for errors.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    Since its a different case so the Singapore law take on this case is that you can go around and slap people and just be given a warning Sweet !!! So the next time someone slap you don't think that you can keep quite and report police or sue him, Singapore law is useless here so slap them back....self defence
    yes, i was thinking about this too. since i know a person who slap me will only be let off with stern warning, and the person is not rich, and i am just about as innocent as the stewardess in this case, i slap back?

i mean, this news had been splash all over the news, can be only 2 of us thinking about this right? backlash of "stern warning??
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

You guys should consider a career at TalkingCock.com. LOL!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast