Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 450D Shutter Lifespan

Default Re: Canon 450D Shutter Lifespan

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Hahaha.... I brought extended warranty. Total is 3 yrs of warranty. My shutter count is now around 10K.... hope to 'kill' it just before my warranty runs out....
    you'll be surprise why certain things just don't die when u want it to :P enjoy your cam
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

Quote Originally Posted by viewwing View Post
    you'll be surprise why certain things just don't die when u want it to :P enjoy your cam
    Yup. Like the day after the warranty ends (Just kidding...)

Anyway, I'm also a new 450D owner and I'm surprised it's only around 50k. Still, it's quite a lot and if repair is $100-200 it sounds pretty reasonable to me.

haha we could just leave the continuous shooting on with a rock on the remote control one month before warranty expires and let it shoot non stop~ surely will do the trick~ =P
    Shoot with your heart, not for greed/ego..

Deregistered

Generally there are a few things to keep the shutter going as long as possible, avoiding continous mode is one..... There are 1DMkIIs that fail at around 75 000 due to heavy continous mode usage. But yeah, for hobby usage (i.e. not professional heavy usage, not a thousand clicks per weekend....) it should last a couple of years
    Last edited by rapier84; 23rd May 2008 at 10:08 PM.

If you were to shoot a thousand shots per weekend, you got to ask if you actually learnt anything from it or if you could do better with say..... 50 shots...

Quote Originally Posted by rapier84 View Post
    Generally there are a few things to keep the shutter going as long as possible, avoiding continous mode is one..... There are 1DMkIIs that fail at around 75 000 due to heavy continous mode usage. But yeah, for hobby usage (i.e. not professional heavy usage, not a thousand clicks per weekend....) it should last a couple of years
    Couple of years like 2 years? I was hoping more like 5. But then in 2 years, the 500D will be out and time to upgrade!

Personally haven't read of anyone who shot up to the maximum possible limit of shots.

Anyone?

IMO, buying a DSLR is because you enjoy shooting so you should do just that and not worry too much about shutter life. When the time comes to replace it then worry

sigh.. and i was hoping a DSLR could be a life long investment.. haha hopefully 5 years down the road buying a new DSLR ain't that much a pinch as it is now! =P Since changing the shutter is a matter of paying $200 or so, you could just replace the shutter and use it for another 5 years? => 10years... is there such thing as a sensor life span? hahaa... appreciate professional advice =]

Quote Originally Posted by Deming86 View Post
    sigh.. and i was hoping a DSLR could be a life long investment.. haha hopefully 5 years down the road buying a new DSLR ain't that much a pinch as it is now! =P Since changing the shutter is a matter of paying $200 or so, you could just replace the shutter and use it for another 5 years? => 10years... is there such thing as a sensor life span? hahaa... appreciate professional advice =]
    I am no professional, so I guess I'm not qualified to answer your query.

Your sensor is an electronic component as well, so it will definitely have a lifespan. It will likely last way longer than your shutter unit, so no worries there.

sweeet... thanks calebk!

Quote Originally Posted by Deming86 View Post
    No. The lenses are the investment, not the body.

And you can't keep just replacing the sensor, as those sensors will only be manufactured for maybe 2-3 years. Same with the shutter. Eventually they'll just EOL the production.
    Alpha

Hahaa my friend just asked me to try this out:

http://digital-photography-school.co...ith-your-dslr/

Planning to do before my warranty runs out~ hehzzz fun and stylish way to go bonk!

I better not press the buttons on my camera so often then, what if they break down as well? Oh no, I hope they still come under warranty.

Let's not forget the dials. Better not turn them too often as well to change your aperture in case the dials break down and cannot turn anymore.

Better not open the battery compartment too often either, cause the cover might spoil as well.

And let's also try not to remove the lens cap off your lens too often as well, because the lens cap spring might spoil as well. Best to keep it on as often as you can then.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    I better not press the buttons on my camera so often then, what if they break down as well? Oh no, I hope they still come under warranty.

Let's not forget the dials. Better not turn them too often as well to change your aperture in case the dials break down and cannot turn anymore.

Better not open the battery compartment too often either, cause the cover might spoil as well.

And let's also try not to remove the lens cap off your lens too often as well, because the lens cap spring might spoil as well. Best to keep it on as often as you can then.
    No lens cap spring.. But the lens cap may get scratch, or the contacts get worn out in the body.
    Meow!

this thread got me thinking man!
    I've never given a thought to shutter count life span.
    haha interesting.
    creepupmytee.com | creepupmytee.blogsp.

all the product will break down one day...just when? that's all... camera is for photo taking..just like u buy TV to watch & Tv has lifespan too.. just use it what it suppose to do... stop worry here n there...u may change your DSLR before it die of like others has mentioned..

Holding the camera too can cause wear and tear to the camera body.

Make sure the camera is place on a soft service when in storage, because prolong contact with something hard make casue something bad to the camera.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

hahaa best is to keep your camera in your dry box and never take it out! I'm sure it'll outlive you! hopefully!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12