Thread: Impossible-to-have tripod?

Default Impossible-to-have tripod?

I'm looking for an ultra portable and compact tripod that has twist-lock function and ball head....trawled through the internet but not able to find one that fits the above.....

I'm intending to use it for light and easy travel with my PnS digicam.......

Any suggestion is welcomed!

Default Re: Impossible-to-have tripod?

Tons of mini tripods from 4" or 5" high to less than a foot. Some got a mini ball head on them. But in general, these things are fairly unstable, and don't expect any sort of reliability or range of adjustments.

You might want to look at the Gorilla pods. Quite unique and should suit your needs.

Alternatively, look at stuff like scaled-down tripods from the reputable manufacturers like Manfrotto and Gitzo. They usually have some sort of 'traveller' tripod, then look for a suitable super-mini ball head. I've seen some really small ones at Cathay Photo Marina. CP Peninsula should also have since Peninsula is the HQ.

Anyway, I'm not a tripod expert, so wait for others to chime in.

Most ultra-portable tripods I know have legs that are locked by a ball spring thingy. Twist-lock legs, in my opinion, would be overkill for mini tripods. I can't picture it... haha!

I have a Sakure tripod that's got 7 inch legs compacted, but will extend to about a metre in length. But bearing in mind that tripod legs will form hypotenuses, the total height will be less than a metre, depending on how open (how stable) you want your tripod legs to be. It's heavier than those aluminium mini tripods, and much better than those freebies table-top tripods. But then it's a pan-tilt head la... which I find more cumbersome than a ball head. Of course, you could always change the head. =)

I use it for my P&S too... Got it couple of years ago from Alan Photo, Sim Lim... should be $24 if I remember correctly.

Took some snapshots with my handphone. Haha!

Tripod in my hand... hopefully give you some perspective on size.

Tripod on chair.

Tripod extended.

Hope this helps! They have it in silver and blue too, if you're curious. Haha!
    Last edited by karnage; 25th April 2008 at 10:31 PM.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

THe other "table top" type is the Ultra pod
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

still looking..... now looking for one that can hold my new lx3