Thread: Macro Lens

Default Macro Lens

Hi,

I've started to take great interest in doing macro shots. I would like to get a macro lens for it but don't know which to look out for or what is sufficient for me. Any recommendations?

I have a budget though, hope to get one that is $400 or less. I don't mind a second hand or 3rd party ones but dunno how to go about doing it . Any advise? Thanks.
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams

Default Re: Macro Lens

On budget, you might want to try reversed lens or using extension tube.

If you are interested in Macro lens and don't mind 2nd hand, check up the buy/see section,
    there are always macro lens for sale, but usually is $400 plus.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370983

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371075

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370569

i think tamron 90mm is good.. compared to nikkor micros, it is value for $$$!

Then what is the difference between two types of lenses; the one that is like just 90mm and another that is of a certain range eg 28-75mm? And what does aspherical ones means? Is there any difference?
    Last edited by clickerz; 26th April 2008 at 12:28 PM.
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    On budget, you might want to try reversed lens or using extension tube.
    Paiseh, newbie qn... what are reversed lens and extension tubes? Keep seeing it on the forum but don't know what they refer to.

Are you referring to closeup filters? Can I add those to any lens for macro pix?

a reversed lens is quite self-explanatory, you mount the lens the wrong way round with the front element part into the body.. you'll need special adaptors for that though..

extension tubes are hollow tubes that physically shift the lens further from the sensor/film plane thus allowing closer focusing, but at the expense of infinity focusing..

yea, you can mount those on any lens provided they're the same diameter, but you may or may not get close to 1:1 magnification depending on the diopter value and focal length..

Quote Originally Posted by loboclerk View Post
    Paiseh, newbie qn... what are reversed lens and extension tubes? Keep seeing it on the forum but don't know what they refer to.

Are you referring to closeup filters? Can I add those to any lens for macro pix?
    I not nagging, but please do a search. Because i had been posting this link every other week.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359835

Hope it will help.

I not nagging, but please do a search. Because i had been posting this link every other week.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359835

Hope it will help.
    TS and loboclerk, trust bro Leong23, he is good at it, you won't go wrong.

i use a 50 f/1.4 reverse on my 400D kit.still experimenting. the vignetting very jia lat.like got borders outside as framing.is that normal??stopping down means lowering the aperture thus more depth of field?

Quote Originally Posted by kirkchua79 View Post
    i use a 50 f/1.4 reverse on my 400D kit.still experimenting. the vignetting very jia lat.like got borders outside as framing.is that normal??stopping down means lowering the aperture thus more depth of field?
    You mean you reverse your 50mm on your kit lens?

Not sure what is the focal length of your kit lens but it is not recommand. The focal length of the prime lens should be longer than the reverse lens. If the prime lens is wider, vignetting with show.

Why not just reverse your 50mm straight onto the camera? this setup will allow you to achieve 1:1 reproduction ratio, or you can reverse your 50mm on a 100mm, it will allow 2:1 reproduction ratio.
    Last edited by Leong23; 2nd May 2008 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    Bro Yapster, you are too kind with your words

I have still lots to learn from my seniors.

TS..... go 'Hunt' for a 2nd hand lens.

Scuba & Father... For Life

You mean you reverse your 50mm on your kit lens?

Not sure what is the focal lenght of your kit lens but it is not recommand. The focal length of the prime lens should be longer than the reverse lens. If the prime lens is wider, vignetting with show.

Why not just reverse your 50mm straight onto the camera? this setup will allow you to achieve 1:1 reproduction ratio, or you can reverse your 50mm on a 100mm, it will allow 2:1 reproduction ratio.
    ya
    50f/1.4 reverse--->coupling ring--->18-55f3.5-5.6--->400D
    still a bit confuse bout the ratio 1:1,2:1
    2:1 means 2X magnifications?
    that means 150mm will achieve 3:1?
    but focusing distance still same bout >5cm with manual adjustment

ya
    50f/1.4 reverse--->coupling ring--->18-55f3.5-5.6--->400D
    still a bit confuse bout the ratio 1:1,2:1
    2:1 means 2X magnifications?
    that means 150mm will achieve 3:1?
    but focusing distance still same bout >5cm with manual adjustment
    2:1 is 2x magnifications in reference to your sensor size, so FF, DX and APS-C had different magnification.

Yes, reverse a 50mm on a 150mm will achieve 3:1 and maintance around 5cm of focusing distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    I second that Leong23 knows what he is talking about... I met him once to buy a tripod and he was going to shoot insects after that... saw the gear he had That is where I began to learn about macro gear
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

any inconvenience for not having internal focusing for a macro lens? i understand that Tamron 90mm lens will extend out.

i think your aperture is too small. Try to use f1.4 before reversing. Bear in mind you cant adjust your aperture once u reverse your lens.

If stacking lens on lens, the aperture on the reversed lens should be wide open, ie, f/1.4 for your case. The DOF control is base on the prime lens.

But if you are using reverse lens straight on the camera, then the DOF control is on the reversed lens. The trick is focusing with the lens wide open, then step down to the desired aperture just prior pressing the shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by ymmij View Post
    any inconvenience for not having internal focusing for a macro lens? i understand that Tamron 90mm lens will extend out.
    The only inconvenience is that it will shorten the working distance.
    FYI, the minimum focusing distance of lenses is base on subject to sensor plane.