Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Travelling light

  1. #1

    Default Travelling light

    Hi, new here to posting on CS

    It's similar to what another poster asked for previously, about equipment when going to the Himalayas.
    Just like to know what others use for a good walk-around + hiking combo

    Been a P&S user, converted to DSLR last year; now using a D40 with the old D70 kit lens 18-70mm. I recently bought a 18-200mm VR but haven't had any travels yet to test that out. The weight is very important for me, and the new lens, while even more versatile, feels like it's going to send me to the chiropractors soon. Maybe because I haven't gotten used to it.

    Anyway, my holidays usually involve some street-walking and lots of hiking daytrips (nature trails, mountains, etc) in between, that's why I like traveling light. My prev setup has served me well so far: all I do is hang it around my neck, zip up my hoodie and I'm ready to go. I have an extra battery in my pants pocket but that's rarely necessary (have had bad experience with cold weather messing up my battery life but the D40 seems to last long).

    Keeping it close to my chest let's me have both hands free, especially for when the going gets tough, tree roots, steep incline, mumble grumble. And I suppose it's purely psychological but with my hood up and hands in my pocket, I feel more stealthy, no one gives me a second glance - good for A) whipping it out for a quick surreptitious shot of people, and B) keeping a low profile, somehow I'm not particularly comfortable being the lone Asian dude walking the streets of US. I also strongly believe in doing whatever it takes to get that shot that you've already pictured in your mind's eye - I've climbed rocks and trees, without thinking of how to get back, ahem (almost got caught out by the tide once, phew)

    I do however, realise the limitations of my gear, hence buying the extra zoom for the times when I need it (re above: shots of people going about their business - personal fav for street-side hawker/food stalls). I foresee myself getting a wideangle: breaking past the treeline, standing on mountaintop, craves for one. For all my journeys though rather harsh conditions, I don't have any protective filters because they seem to hinder performance, there's already low lighting beneath the canopy of trees. Friends think I'm nuts.

    How does one ever get used to lugging so much heavy gear around? People I meet on my travels are always so friendly and beam their widest grins as they unstrap their bag and open up the flap to show me their wide array of equipment. But I hafto say that there's a lot more people lugging DSLRs around, and it's always easy to strike up a conversation with a fellow photographer - just ask what settings are they using, etc. Voila, instant friend
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Travelling light

    well, just you say, you have not get used to the weight. a d40 n 18-200VR + accessories should not be too bad. A protective UV filter doesn't cut off light so no worries.

    To manage weight, most ppl use a travel friendly lens like the 18-200mm. Others like me, travels with a few prime lens. I usually take a 20, 50 and 90 for my trips but I may not bring all 3 out for my day trips. I will just work with what I have.
    :)

  3. #3

    Default Re: Travelling light

    I would travel with a prime lens, telephoto and a 2X teleconverter. Also a flash & a carbon fiber tripod.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bukit Timah
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: Travelling light

    Prime lenses are great, e.g. 20mm and 50mm, light, small and compact, with great quality too. Brought them on a recent hiking trip in New Zealand

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Travelling light

    Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post
    How does one ever get used to lugging so much heavy gear around? People I meet on my travels are always so friendly and beam their widest grins as they unstrap their bag and open up the flap to show me their wide array of equipment. But I hafto say that there's a lot more people lugging DSLRs around, and it's always easy to strike up a conversation with a fellow photographer - just ask what settings are they using, etc. Voila, instant friend
    You have got to start exercising more to train up your strength, and get used to the weight. Put all those gears you want to carry around on you all day and night. Soon it will be a part of you and you won't even feel the weight, much like having a big belly like me...

    Sine you have the D40 with 18-200mm, consider getting a hoister to carry the camera and lens to protect it while hiking. You don't need the camera strap then. When you want to shoot, just whip out your camera, shoot, and then hoister back.....siao like cowboy like that.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  6. #6

    Default Re: Travelling light

    A holster? For real? Sweet Haha ...
    Been straying from my gym regime too; admittedly I'm usually breathless on the trail. Doesn't help that my chivalrous self always volunteers to take the backpack for my SO (shhh). My basic survival kit of water, chocolate bars + raisins and other essentials already weigh me down, and are not really meant to last overnight, i.e. if caught out, don't make it out by lightfall, we'll be in a rather uncomfortable situation.

    But personally, the weight really disturbs me because of my more, ahem, gung-ho exploits. Those leaps across chasms and rock faces can probably do without a backpack behind my back.
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Travelling light

    Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post
    A holster? For real? Sweet Haha ...
    Been straying from my gym regime too; admittedly I'm usually breathless on the trail. Doesn't help that my chivalrous self always volunteers to take the backpack for my SO (shhh). My basic survival kit of water, chocolate bars + raisins and other essentials already weigh me down, and are not really meant to last overnight, i.e. if caught out, don't make it out by lightfall, we'll be in a rather uncomfortable situation.

    But personally, the weight really disturbs me because of my more, ahem, gung-ho exploits. Those leaps across chasms and rock faces can probably do without a backpack behind my back.
    Hoister case lah... good for one body and 1 lens and small accessories like batteries, extra SD card, lens paper. Can sling or put on your belt. The rest of your gear and stuff can be in your backpack or waistpack, if you want to bring them.

    When I was a boy scout, my usual camp gear is about 35kg, and we do the most ridiculous stuff with packs on. During NS....even worse!

    You need to get used to the use of backpack or waistpack for your exploits. Make sure you buy insurance...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  8. #8

    Default Re: Travelling light

    Insurance for your gears and for yourself
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  9. #9
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travelling light

    any holster that fits a camera body + long lens together, to recommend?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Travelling light

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    any holster that fits a camera body + long lens together, to recommend?
    I use lowepro. you can go to CP with your camera and lens to try to find one that fits...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  11. #11
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travelling light

    Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    I use lowepro. you can go to CP with your camera and lens to try to find one that fits...
    does lowepro has holsters? i thought only belt, harness and toploading pouches.

    by holster, i refer to one that fits the DSLR like a gun holster.

    something like the DSLR pouch (the one with the protrusion) below, but with attachments to fit onto a belt or harness.


    i'm already using an optech chest strap, which distribute weight to the shoulders and the back, and reduce slicing onto the neck. i may consider getting an additional band like below so that if i bold forward, it won't dangle around. of cos, with a long 80-200mm it will look super funny.

  12. #12
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travelling light

    or do u mean those v-shaped top loaders?

    http://www.amazon.com/tag/pentax%20k...20camera%20bag

    it would be great if i can find someone to tailor make a holster at an affordable price.

  13. #13
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travelling light

    anyway, if those "holster bags" are used, are they sling around the shoulder diagonally, attached to a belt, tied to the lower ribs on the side above the waist, or tied to the thigh?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Travelling light

    Yeah, I like travelling light, wandering light, and roving light..

    So, I would sacrifice a stop to go for a 70-200 f4 than a 70-200 f2.8, just bcoz its half as light. I would pay more for a CF tripod, just bcoz it is lighter for similar stability vs a non-CF etc.

    But in the end, everyone's style is different and everyone's sense of "balance" (weight vs value) is different and you may have to do several trips before u get your best fit. And even then, it changes. My same gear feels heavier and heavier over the years, as I get older and older

    So I may have to re-adjust my "balance" again. Being able to travel comfortably and with a set of equipment that I use comfortably.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Travelling light

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    does lowepro has holsters? i thought only belt, harness and toploading pouches.

    by holster, i refer to one that fits the DSLR like a gun holster.
    Sorry, I meant toploader.... To me, it functions like a hoister, esp if you hook it to the waistbelt. I just generally sling it, so I don't even use my optech strap anymore.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  16. #16
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travelling light

    Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Sorry, I meant toploader.... To me, it functions like a hoister, esp if you hook it to the waistbelt. I just generally sling it, so I don't even use my optech strap anymore.
    for me, slinging still cuts into my neck. i think i will get something like this, from TK, thinktank



    http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_DgtlHlstr.php

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Travelling light

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    for me, slinging still cuts into my neck. i think i will get something like this, from TK, thinktank



    http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_DgtlHlstr.php
    I prefer side sling. Already got big belly, with this, cannot see the ground, I will fall down.... To each his own preference.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •