Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163136394041424346 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Football Club Season 21! Huat Ah!!!

Default Re: Liverpool Football Club Season 21! Huat Ah!!!

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...504167,00.html

This Summer, Liverpool Mostly Need...

There's no doubt that the gap has been cut. The gulf of over 20 points to last season's champions has been halved this season, due in the most part to the addition of Fernando Torres and the benefit of a full campaign from the almost unbreachable Javier Mascherano.

But ManYoo and Chelsea will undoubtedly spend again this summer (the former on a striker and the latter on flair) and Liverpool will need to spend again simply to ensure that the gap does not grow again. If they intend to actually compete for the title, they will need to spend more.

We take a look at the current Liverpool squad and speculate about the areas that need to be strengthened.

GOALKEEPER
    Questions continue to be asked about Jose Reina - and particularly his comfort under high balls - but this summer's goalkeeping priority will be in providing competition for the Spaniard rather than procuring a replacement. If his price continues to be prohibitive and Scott Carson returns, that problem will be solved. If not, someone other than Charles Itandje is needed to warn Reina that he is not entirely untouchable.

RIGHT-BACK
    The only thing regular about the right-back situation at Liverpool this season has been the regularity of the switch between Steve Finnan and Alvaro Arbeloa. Rafa is clearly not convinced by either - Jamie Carragher's inclusion at right-back in the big games tells a very clear story - and neither would walk into another top four side. Possible replacements are hardly two a penny (as the high asking prices for Dani Alves and Jose Bosingwa suggest) but Schalke's Brazilian right-back Rafinha and Borussia Dortmund's Philipp Degenis are name often mentioned in despatches.

LEFT-BACK
    Rafa's ridiculously protracted chase of Gabriel Heinze last summer suggests that he knew he needed cover on the left side of defence, with John-Arne Riise, Fabiano Aurelio and an out-of-position Alvaro Arbeloa his only options. When you consider that his rivals have Patrice Evra, Ashley Cole and Gael Clichy in that position, you can see how Liverpool's squad falls short. Riise will exit this summer and he is likely to be replaced - don't be surprised if Wayne Bridge finally leaves Chelsea for the lure of regular Champions League footbal.

CENTRE-HALF
    Injury to Daniel Agger left Liverpool woefully short in the centre at the start of the season as anyone with eyes in their head could see that Sami Hyypia was not an option to play a full season. Rafa reacted - probably too late - in bringing in Martin Skrtel in January, but that does mean that it's one area of the pitch which need not worry the Reds chequebook this summer.

RIGHT MIDFIELD
    The fact that Rafa has preferred an enthusiastic but limited Golden Retriever on the right side of midfield in the latter half of the season gives you an indication of the lack of faith he has in either Jermaine Pennant and Yossi Benayoun, who sit firmly in the box labelled 'decent Premier League player' along with the likes of Darren Fletcher and Shaun Wright-Phillips. There are a reason these players are substitutes for Big Four sides, but the difference is that Liverpool have no better alternative to keep the average players on the bench. This is where the big money should be spent this summer, though talk of getting Roma's Mancini for just £4m should see fans rubbing their hands together with glee. Fans may be split on talk of David Bentley - a player capable of making the step up or another 7/10 player?

LEFT MIDFIELD
    Harry Kewell should finally shift his arse and his massive wages out of Anfield this summer to leave Ryan Babel and Benayoun as the only real options (assuming Riise's exit), with both playing out of position. Babel could yet become the answer to that conundrum - though he would prefer to play up front - but it's fair to say that they are being linked with Gareth Barry for a reason, and it's not because they fancy he will replace either Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso in the middle. Mancini could also play on the left, but Barry's steadiness (and versatility) could well appeal to Rafa. One interesting little rumour nugget had Guillem Balague suggesting that Liverpool would buy an England international midfielder and it would be a 'surprise'. We could perhaps throw the name of Joe Cole into the mix at this point...

CENTRAL MIDFIELD
    It will be a surprise if this is where the money is spent this summer as they boast quite a quartet in Mascherano, Alonso, Lucas and Stevie Gerrard, with Damien Plessis capable of filling in where necessary. The capture of Barry would obviously provide other options - particularly if Alonso exits - while someone like Cole could certainly play in the hole in the stead of Gerrard.

STRIKER
    If Peter Crouch was pondering whether to exit Liverpool this summer, his mind should have been made up by the fact that he was still sat on the bench at the end of a Champions League semi-final in which the Reds needed goals. He will have no shortage of options if he decides to exit, but his replacement will be decided by budget. A big budget and you're looking at Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, a smaller budget and you're maybe looking at Kenwyne Jones.

Sarah Winterburn
    Last edited by Cheesecake; 1st May 2008 at 08:56 PM.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Rick Parry needs to go!

Quote Originally Posted by zhapchit View Post
    Rick Parry needs to go!
    all mux go.

i take over.

haha

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    all mux go.

i take over.

haha
    Woah you take over then we HUAT lor Big ear, Small ear, have ear, no ear, all we take
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

all mux go.

i take over.

haha

good, u take over, all players mux go, then u can sell us torres and stevie g for lots of moolah.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    good, u take over, all players mux go, then u can sell us torres and stevie g for lots of moolah.

he will give you free, kite, riise, getwell, voronin

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    he will give you free, kite, riise, getwell, voronin
    hmmm...so generous.

hmmm...so generous.

in return, can we have Ashley Cole and Jole Cole?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    in return, can we have Ashley Cole and Jole Cole?
    wah...lfc fans so clever to bargain.... i think u can have wayne bridge lah...

Quoted from The red and white kop forum:

"Been asked by one of the guys from TIA to start a thread here to match the thread they have going.

A petition has been started on the issue of boycotting sales of the new kit.

The petition reads

To: The Liverpool Football Club Board, and Potential Financial Backers of Tom Hicks

We, the loyal supporters of Liverpool Football Club, have had enough of the boardroom saga for control of our club. We have staged protests and we have made banners, but the time has now come to take our efforts to the next level.

As we were made aware by the club this week, Adidas and Liverpool plan to unveil the new 2008/2010 kit next Friday, April 25, 2008. The undersigned of this petition have agreed to boycott this item, and refuse to purchase it until Tom Hicks and George Gillett are out of our club. We understand that the loss of potential millions of pounds will hurt the club in the short-run, but it is also true that this will hurt the current owners in the only place that matters to them – their wallets. We will always support our team, but until Tom Hicks and George Gillett are out of club, we will not purchase this item.

We refuse to accept the role of being a money-maker for Tom Hicks and George Gillett’s entertainment businesses. We refuse to accept the debt placed on our club despite promises to the contrary. We refuse to accept the owners’ ineptitude and incompetence regarding our new stadium. We refuse to accept the spin coming from Tom Hicks' PR department. We refuse to accept the disgraceful public image these two have given our club in the global press. And lastly, we refuse to accept Tom Hicks and George Gillett as custodians of our storied, and beloved club."

You can sign the petition and show your feelings here.

http://www.petitiononline.com/NoNewKit/petition.html

Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    Quoted from The red and white kop forum:

"Been asked by one of the guys from TIA to start a thread here to match the thread they have going.

A petition has been started on the issue of boycotting sales of the new kit.

The petition reads

To: The Liverpool Football Club Board, and Potential Financial Backers of Tom Hicks

We, the loyal supporters of Liverpool Football Club, have had enough of the boardroom saga for control of our club. We have staged protests and we have made banners, but the time has now come to take our efforts to the next level.

As we were made aware by the club this week, Adidas and Liverpool plan to unveil the new 2008/2010 kit next Friday, April 25, 2008. The undersigned of this petition have agreed to boycott this item, and refuse to purchase it until Tom Hicks and George Gillett are out of our club. We understand that the loss of potential millions of pounds will hurt the club in the short-run, but it is also true that this will hurt the current owners in the only place that matters to them – their wallets. We will always support our team, but until Tom Hicks and George Gillett are out of club, we will not purchase this item.

We refuse to accept the role of being a money-maker for Tom Hicks and George Gillett’s entertainment businesses. We refuse to accept the debt placed on our club despite promises to the contrary. We refuse to accept the owners’ ineptitude and incompetence regarding our new stadium. We refuse to accept the spin coming from Tom Hicks' PR department. We refuse to accept the disgraceful public image these two have given our club in the global press. And lastly, we refuse to accept Tom Hicks and George Gillett as custodians of our storied, and beloved club."

You can sign the petition and show your feelings here.

http://www.petitiononline.com/NoNewKit/petition.html

wow....din know the yanks were so disliked!

fan power!!!!

#1813, signed....

Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

Signed

Sigh.... What a disappointing end to the season.

Actually to be fair, we were never close to winning the semi final match against Chel$ki. Rafa's tactics was suspected, and the Chel$ki players seems to be fighting to win more than the Liverpool players. This was a match which I am sad to say that Chel$ki deserved to win. By the time we see Liverpool start fighting back, it was too late.

Well, it is time to do some serious spring cleaning in Liverpool, and that should start from right at the top with the brokeback cowboys.

We have a pretty good squad now, just need to replace some of the deadweights. We also need a good management to be more supportive in the transfer market. Liverpool should be challenging for the EPL title right to the end of the season, and remain competitive in the Cups competition.

YNWA!
    Canon 650D|Panasonic LX3 / LX5
    50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 12-24mm f/4 | 28-75mm f/2.8

wow....din know the yanks were so disliked!

fan power!!!!
    yaaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post

Actually to be fair, we were never close to winning the semi final match against Chel$ki. Rafa's tactics was suspected, and the Chel$ki players seems to be fighting to win more than the Liverpool players. This was a match which I am sad to say that Chel$ki deserved to win. By the time we see Liverpool start fighting back, it was too late.

Well, it is time to do some serious spring cleaning in Liverpool, and that should start from right at the top with the brokeback cowboys.

We have a pretty good squad now, just need to replace some of the deadweights. We also need a good management to be more supportive in the transfer market. Liverpool should be challenging for the EPL title right to the end of the season, and remain competitive in the Cups competition.

YNWA!
    honest assessment.

we lost the tie the moment riise scored the equalising goal for chel$ki.

honest assessment.

we lost the tie the moment riise scored the equalising goal for chel$ki.
    Yeah. So many what if....

What if Riise had not scored that stupid own goal..... sigh....
    Canon 650D|Panasonic LX3 / LX5
    50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 12-24mm f/4 | 28-75mm f/2.8

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post

YNWA!
    i think not just being more supportive in the transfer market will do... we need to do better in the financial sense. I guess Hicks is right about Parry not doing a great job. Liverpool FC has great commercial potential but i think it has yet to be exploited

Looking back at the season, i think we have did very well. I think the key is Agger's injury for the full season. Sami hyypia have lost the pace and as a result make too many mistakes. I can think of at least a few league matches that were lost because of his mistakes.

Reina, despite being a top notch gk, has a weakness that everyone knows. He just cant handle the high balls. Also, i think we shd bring back Carson and give Reina some competition.

Moving forward, both left back and right back position need strengthening. Midfield, if we get Bentley and Barry, likely Kewell and Alonso will go. I personally think Alonso has gone off the steam... Ever since he joined liverpool, i think he has worsen a bit each year as his style becomes more British (hard tackling, short passes). I cant recall the last through ball or long diagional ball played by Alonso.

Forward wise, i think only Voronin is not performing. We can sign a new striker or gives Nemeth a chance. I think there's no need to get a new striker unless Crouch leave.

Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163136394041424346 ... LastLast